Facebook messager

So I really want to delete my Facebook completely and stop using the messenger app. But keep getting the benefits of the app. I have friends that won’t get another app just because I’m degoogling if anyone knows an app or away to do this please share

Hi. Just check the f-droid repository and you will come scross several fadebook wrappers. Thoae are apps giving you acess to facebook without sharing a lot of personal information from your phone. App those apps i am thibkkng of are open source. Facebook still is a creepy thing but like this you xan still have access but with the least impact on your privacy.
Myself i am using Frost (for Facebook) but fhere ae othees such as FaceSlim, SlimSoxoal or Tinfoill for Facebook… Just try them and select the one you le most.

Is it possible to use fdroid within shelter? In that case those facebook apps could be installed in sort of a container.

No idea if fdroid can be installed in a container. But I do not see a need for it it is a repository of open source apps.
And if you install apps as I mentioned above, such as Frost or FaceSlim, you do not need a container either. The apps are open source, so they do not grasp personal data from your phone (only what you type in).

My brother just got his e os phone and is very happy, however he wants to talk with his friends using Facebook Messenger. He tried to install the application but the installation process never ends. Can this application be installed on /e/ OS? Is there another preferable way to talk with people using FB Messenger on /e/ OS?

You could use Aurora Store instead.

Hello.

I needed Messenger during ‘covid-stay-at-home-to-work’ : cloned e.Apps in Shelter then installed Messenger Lite. I added just the two needed email adress in my special ‘short-listed’ Contacts in Shelter and all worked fine, without microG…

You can also look for Messenger-front-ends in F-Droid ; I don’t know witch works the best…

For the aborted installation, sometimes A fails (updates). Alternatively check Aurora or apkpure.

1 Like

I’m sorry I don’t get what you mean here, what is e.Apps and what is Shelter?

Shelter is an app (available in the /e/ Apps installer or F-Droid or Aurora Store) that creates a work profile in which you can install apps and add contacts that will be isolated from your other apps.

You can find more details here.

So, a few months later, I’m back and we didn’t solve that Messenger problem, and now my brother wants me to remove eOS from his phone and install a normal Android where he can do what he wants.

To have messenger installed on /e/OS is better than go back to plain Android so, can anyone help me install it? Currently, when I go on the eOS store, I can find messenger, it downloads, but then the install but isn’t clickable. Why that?

1 Like

Have you tried
SlimSocial for Facebook (Browse Facebook) - https://f-droid.org/packages/it.rignanese.leo.slimfacebook

Or
Face Slim (Connect to Facebook) - https://f-droid.org/packages/org.indywidualni.fblite

Or
Frost for Facebook (A fast and extensive third party wrapper for Facebook.) - https://f-droid.org/packages/com.pitchedapps.frost

All have access to FB messenger

I have just tried original FB messanger from Aurora. It works fine.
Have you installed any tracker blocker like blokada or TrackerControl? If yes, they are blocking the FB access

What is that Aurora store and why is everybody here using it instead of the “Apps” app provided by /e/OS?

Aurora from f-droid is a free google play store client and you can download all apps which are available in g-playstore.
eApp Store is a cleanapk.org client. No one knows who is behind cleanapk.org and where the apk from. And cleanaok.org has only limited apps available

This is from original FB messanger

You are labelled as a /e/ support and says that we don’t know the source of the APK provided by the default store installed by /e/ OS? That isn’t very trustworthy ^^

I’ll try that store then and see if it solves the apps management. Thank you.

I’m independent and helping users to get there eOS running.
And I only write facts as. You can find some discussion about eApps store here in forum