Fairphone - FP3 - FP3+ Documentation Suggestions

Thanks for reporting this @hirntot …let me check with the team and get back with an update

1 Like

Same problem with IMG-e-1.1-r-…
Does anybody found a work-around?

In the guide for FP4 there are commands like
fastboot flash bluetooth_a bluetooth.img
fastboot flash bluetooth_b bluetooth.img
fastboot flash devcfg_a devcfg.img
fastboot flash devcfg_b devcfg.img

That could be adjusted to the img files present in the FP3 zip.

Isnt that what the flash script does anyway?

Thanks in advance!
(Sorry for insisting, but older stable release is no option for me.)

1 Like

The FP3 releases themselves are fine up to now, content-wise nothing changed compared to prior releases, it was always just image files.
It’s the install guide that’s broken currently.

@Manoj: Is there a timeline for the fixing of the install guide? Or will future releases match the current install guide?

In the meantime, Wayback Machine to the rescue …

https://web.archive.org/web/20220413173954/https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP3/install

1 Like

ok, this is bad. It was supposed to be added to the v1.4 build and seems to have missed. Have passed on to the build team to resolve. Will update.

2 Likes

We will push a v1.4.1 specifically for the FP3 with the correct set of files, hopefully by early next week.

2 Likes

Hello, the title won’t be ‘’ Fairphone FP3 - FP3+’’?

1 Like

:slight_smile: changed as required

3 Likes

Hi Manoj, can you estimate, when the 1.4.1 will come?

1 Like

I have not got an update as yet on this. Will check again on Monday and get back

1 Like

The 1.4 Version (e_FP3-userdebug 11 RQ3A.211001.001 eng.root.20220922.215721 dev-keys) works fine on my FP3

The correct folder structure should be visible on the stable and dev builds now.
The one build on which it is still pending is the FP3 Q dev build. Will try to get it out as part of the v1.4 or the next v1.5 which should be released in the week after next.

1 Like

https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP3/upgrade

Warning: Please note this upgrade build could not be tested as there were no device specific testers available. Some devices may need a revert to stock ROM prior to upgrade. To flash the stock ROM you would need to use a tool provided by your vendor. You may also need to download a recovery image built specifically for your device.****

Is this really true for FP3?

And also, in this guide it says sideloading work but that is not the case when you have a locked bootloader

The flash instructions are outdated as for the S dev (or other dev) builds.

The complete section “Installing /e/OS from the bootloader” refers to unzipping and starting “flash_FP3_factory.sh” but the latest dev builds contain the complete OTA which is just a payload.bin file.

So it needs to be flashed by sideloading and not via “flash_FP3_factory.sh”.

As I ran in some kind of a dead end with my FP3 Q dev build, now having to manually upgrade to R, I would suggest to add the following important information for all devices affected:

You can’t switch (or get switched by updates) from a certain dev build to its stable counterpart. OTA upgrades from one OS version to another are not available for dev builds. When development of updates for your dev build is discontinued, you will have to install a more up-to-date OS version manually.

The command line install instructions given at Install /e/OS on a Fairphone FP3/3+ - “FP3” are currently only valid for the stable install files, not for the dev install files.

The stable install files currently come in the format which installs partition images with fastboot, the command line install instructions cover this.
The dev install files currently come in the OTA format ready for use with ADB sideload in the recovery, the command line install instructions don’t reflect this at all as far as I see.

3 Likes

Related to my previous post …

The instructions at /e/OS Version Upgrade for FP3 are currently only valid for the dev install files, not for the stable install files.
While the instructions according to their heading are supposed to upgrade to S, which is dev only currently, R stable downloads are also referenced there.

2 Likes

the lack of up-to-date instructions is horrifying(!).

We’re not talking about any phone, but about the (kind of) flagship of /e/ - about FAIRPHONE that officially refers google-criticists to the murena website. Not that the instructions are remarkably better for other phones (even the ones that get supported by Easy Installer).

Since I reported that issue on Sep '22, there is still no solution except for the very recent Forum Post by AnotherElk, that could be converted into a simple and fast guide. you woldn’t even have to write anything new, since the recently referred upgrade instructions contain the same procedure…

1 Like

Woaw, that’s just frightening!
I spent two hours reading posts and I still don’t know REALLY how to update my FP3 Pie version to R with the appropriate documentation. The geeks world is amazing :smile:

Did you manage the upgrade?