Feedback for v1.19.1

Thank you,
Deactivating OpenGPG support indeed solved the issue for naw

2 Likes

Just one observation, not sure if this is progress because of the upgrade from S to T or from a recent VLC update (on my Fairphone 3+ running /e/OS dev):

I have experienced VLC playback of audio files significantly improved recently, more specifically: VLC does not “forget” a paused folder (my folders equal albums) anymore as it often did in the past when the app was in the background. In the past, when I would get back to VLC from the background, I was not able to resume where I had paused playback and just found VLC back at the start of the “Browse” view. Now I find the paused folder/track (at the bottom) ready for resuming playback where I had left. :slight_smile:

Still flashing torch here and also not taking charge which is solved by reboot occasionally. If only the rollback had worked :frowning:

Vendor Name: Fairphone
Device name: Fairphone 3+
Device CodeName: FP3
Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously: 1.17-s-20231111351092-dev-FP3
Is the device Rooted / Not rooted: Rooted

Seems to work fine.

Subsequently, I would like to thank you for providing the direct download link! I tried to find the right file myself on ota.ecloud.global, but failed and ran into the same error that the official update file led me to. I really can’t figure out this website, and really wish /e/ (@Manoj) would offically provide such download information for the adb sideload community…

Citymapper : same issue on rwo Fairphones 3 here, and never worked in the previous /e/ versions

For what it’s worth as long as I’m still on 1.19.1-t-20240113373116-dev-FP3 … I can’t confirm this, the buttons consistently work as intended for me.

Could this be a launcher thing?
I’m using Lawnchair 12.1.0 Alpha 4.

Don’t think so. Meanwhile I used

• the old Lawnchair 2,
  • Neo Launcher,
  • Lawnchair Alpha 4 and
  • currently Pear Launcher.

All (!) of them and even Bliss (I checked this right now) show exactly the same wrong behavior. I have no hint leading to the launcher. The change came by a new OS release, I didn’t change the launcher or what ever. So I hope that it will also go by a future OS release.

BTW: When it would be the case that some launchers have a common problem here it would still be good if the provider of the OS could make clear why these launchers do not work correctly since 1.8.1. What’s the problem there? Why do I almost never see this horizontal list of running apps?

Note: all my OS updates came OTA. I never did an installation using the easy-installer or whatever since 2022 or so. Also the change from “r” to “s” came OTA. I never did a complete wipe since then.

1 Like

I wonder what’s the difference then.
It can’t be T, because this was working for me all the time in S and before S.

Could they have broken stable without breaking dev? Did anybody else confirm this bug while running stable in all this time?
Else this could be an individual OS installation hiccup.

I guess it affects only some users. Perhaps only some concrete devices (FP3 in my case).

Ha, we have two devices, both on 1.20-s now - the other one (FP3+) is OK! Only mine shows the wrong behavior. Why???

Should I really do a complete reinstall using easy-installer?

Settings > Search Recents leads to RECENTS BUTTON and Short and Long press actions.

It is quite possible to switch off Recents action; sounds a bit like what you are saying? @irrlicht

So I used that delete button and it disappeared. Everything worked fine.

Sounds like an interesting approach. But the search expression “Recents” doesn’t lead to any result in my case (FP3), not a single one. Note: I’m still on S. Also the other device which works well (FP3+) doesn’t show results.

I wouldn’t say it’s switched off. I some very rare cases I see the list. But only once in two weeks or so. Also the behavior on the home screen is different. When I don’t have an app running and I press the square button on the home screen it should show the notifications screen and a message that there’s nothing to do. I never see this. Instead I see a mini picture of my home screen, like any other app. But I can’t then close this. I have not only a missing function, I have a different function on this button. But using this option could “reinitialize” the button.

BTW: also controlling the device over two buttons is disturbed and does not work as expected.

Meanwhile I think about a complete reinstall. I have two other things which do tenaciously not work on my device but on the other one. The other device is a year younger than mine and has half as many updates.

My Recents button choices are on the same page as Navigation bar. Android Q.

Ha, today I used the easy-installer to do a complete reinstall of /e/ on my device. The easy-installer installed (without letting me any choice) 1.19 - yeah, damned, I had already 1.20 before.

But this 1.19 was interesting. All my issues haven’t been there. Especially the square button behaved absolutely as expected.

Then I did the OTA update to 1.20 which was suggested by the /e/ internal updater. But in the result I have now immediately the issues, all exactly as I had them before, relevant is:

• the square button doesn’t work properly
  • creating a new SMS in the Messages app doesn’t work

Note: I have currently no other software on the phone, not a single app, all is plain /e/.

Argh, what to do now?

Sounds ominous indeed.

Is 3-button navigation set in Settings - System - Gestures - System navigation?

Yes, it is. But also the 2-button navigation is disturbed, when I select this. I also get almost never a list of running apps there and changing from one app to the other is always an adventure.

I made a step forward. I recapitulated all the things I did after updating from 1.19 to 1.20 OTA. Indeed I changed some minor settings, also developer settings.

My problems seem to be caused by a developer setting named “Don’t keep activities” (in the Apps section) which is on by default. I switched this off. That was not good because several system functions are probably based on that “activities” knowledge. After I switched it on again I have now immediately also a proper square button behavior. And creating a new SMS in the Messages app works also good again. (Don’t ask, how these two things belong together …) That’s it.

2 Likes

Direct download link changed in the course of the general overhaul of the Builds page: https://ota.ecloud.global/dev/FP3/e-1.19.1-t-20240113373116-dev-FP3.zip

Vendor Name: Fairphone
Device name: Fairphone 3+
Device CodeName: FP3
Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously: [dev version]
Is the device Rooted / Not rooted: Not rooted

1.19.1 completely installed in 1:24, though it had multiple break-offs in spite of keeping the display on.
It ran smoothly with a slightly increased battery usage.