Feedback for v1.21

Thanks a lot for the explanation !

• SAMSUNG
  • S7 EDGE
  • SM-G935F
  • Not rooted

Thank you for this update.

All seems ok except Magic Earth since 1.20. The localisation works but as I start moving it doesn’t follow me and freezes at the starting point. I disabled Advanced Privacy and still doesn’t work.
The gps is Ok, I tried Waze instead and it works well.

Thank you!

Vendor Name : Google
Device name : Pixel 5
Device CodeName : redfin
Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously :  N/A (fresh install using EasyInstaller)
Is the device Rooted / Not rooted: Not rooted

Installation using EasyInstaller was flawless after manually downgrading from the stock Android 14 to 13 beforehand. Also the general user experience is pretty solid and smooth.

Battery life, however, seems noticeably shorter compared to stock Android. Fwiw, had an FP3 before running eOs 1.20 and pretty much the same apps that also lasted much longer despite its smaller battery.

Gigset
GS290
1.21.1-s-20240326389527-stable-GS290
Not rooted
OTA installation went fine. Previous update fixed SIM PIN delay problem, but it came back with this update. Screen freezes for half a minute, when trying to key SIM PIN. Screen frezees now occasionally also when browsing internet with Firefox or default browser.

Update after a few days:

• I set up the shortcuts on the lock screen, the single tap is detected and the warning saying to press and hold shows. But press and hold does nothing
  • I am on a dual sim set up, SIM1 Irish number, SIM2 French number. If I have VoLTE activated on my Irish SIM (main one), incoming calls show as ‘Unknown’ systematically. If I disable VoLTE, no issue. I’ll try with 1 SIM only, swapping SIMs, etc and edit with results. VoLTE was always activated, this happens since the 1.21 update.

Thank you

EDIT: nothing changes after swapping tests. However, I noticed the same issue happen with WiFi calling on. When on, the VoLTE icon appears (normal?) in the status bar and issue is back.

1 Like

Hi. :bowing_woman:

Vendor Name: Fairphone
Device name: FP3+
Device CodeName: FP3
Previously: (1.19.1-s →) 1.20-s → 1.21-t
  (no extra reboot between the two updates,
  just the forced post-installation reboot; perhaps that was risky?)
Is the device Rooted / Not rooted: Whichever is the default when buying an FP3+ from /e/.

Updater

• Could not find 1.21 from 1.19.1 without going through 1.20 first, but maybe normal.
  • I think that when applying the Andro11→12 update there was a warning saying to back up data because that was risky. I saw no such warning for 12→13, but again, perhaps that was intended.
  • I’m still paranoid and set Caffeine to “Infinity” when updating, because the only time I didn’t, I got a download error nearly as soon as the screen went off. :woman_shrugging:

Visual glitch

When swiping twice down from the top to display the menu with all the toggles (dunno if there’s a name for that), the top area often remains completely black for a while. This lasts for 0.5–12 s. It varies greatly; perhaps it is simply re-drawn when something, like the quality of the network signal, changes? Otherwise, touching it triggers a tiny animation which re-draws the whole area as well.

Edit: This seems to be linked to the fact that I use the “Remove animations” accessibility feature in the system settings. If I reactivate animations, it seems to works better (tons of refreshes as the clock and stuff gradually scales up).

Sometimes it displays a part of the clock (a random-ish rectangular portion starting from its top, I think) for that while. Trying to take a screenshot of it triggers an UI refresh or whatever, so I can’t show it for real, haha, but here are acceptable simulations:

VLC seeing no non-directory file at all

I initially thought that my SD card (just storage, no apps installed on it) was unreadable (like Feedback for v1.21 - #80 by Asperamanca), but then noticed it was just VLC having issues, and not just with the card – also with the internal storage. The issue looked vaguely similar to VLC not scanning for media files on FP3 – VLC could find directories, but pretended every single one was empty (except for subdirectories, which were listed too).

Click to expand details
  • Clearing VLC’s cache and rebuilding the media database did nothing (well, anyway, even its “browse” mode could find no non-directory files).
  • It was still possible to tell VLC to open some media by using “Open with…” in the OS’ file browser, but it did so via an ugly file descriptor (fd://80 or something) and this did not display metadata such as the artist’s name and so on.
  • I ended up removing all VLC data and uninstalling-reinstalling the app.
  • For some reason, the newly reinstalled VLC lists the SD card twice in the “Select directories to include in the media library” menu (maybe it was always the case and I don’t remember? That not a menu I open every day…): one looks like a messed up version, while the other works better:

• After the initial VLC setup (during which I gave it the “All files access permission”, see below) and the first media scan, the album cover arts were not displayed, which seemed fishy, so I tried to play a track to check and I got this:

• I exited VLC, launched it again, and it started working properly this time (but the SD card still appears twice in the preferences).
Potential reason? – Click for more details

I wonder if it’s related to the “Access all files” permission. This permission, I think, appeared when going from Android 11 to 12, and VLC asked me if I wanted to give it to it. I may have refused at the time (honestly don’t remember). Now I gave it to it, just in case.

(NB: It does not appear in the “normal” list of permissions in the system settings, you have to explicitly look for “All files access” in “Special app access”.)

… Yep, if I remove that permission, I get “Media cannot be played” errors, and those go away if I give back the permission.
Kinda scary, due to the “app may access files without your explicit knowledge” warning. And to the fact that this is not even the default setting in VLC, I think (but it seems to be in the default /e/ Music app). I can live with it, but that’s weird.

Fortunately, I have yet to come across anything similar in other apps. Aves Libre, for example, can still read my images, both on phone and SD. :woman_shrugging:

Well, I guess things could have been way worse with yet another Android upgrade. Thanks, everyone.
Will report if anything else occurs (installed just a few hours ago).

I had the same issue with VLC on my FP3+ and too fixed it by giving all files access.

Files access permission doesn’t appear to be available within the permissions setting for VLC within Apps.

1 Like

Moto G5 cedric
Version 1.21r

No WLAN anymore!
Show stopper.

After update wlan can not be enabled anymore.

I suggest that e.foundation uses REAL DEVICES for basic quality control before shipping updates.

I am sure that some users donate real devices for quality control if quality control takes place.

Have a checklist that basic things like
GPS, WLAN, a gsm phone call, listening to music, operating touch screen, USB keyboard, mouse
etc are tested before shipping an update.

It is unfortunate that it takes place. The reality is that /e/ is looking for maintainers as few devices have a dedicated individual monitoring releases. Thank God that lineage bug fixes come downstream.

in the meantime, here might be a workaround with adb

• Vendor Name: Fairphone
  • Device name: Fairphone 3+
  • Device CodeName: FP3+
  • Current version of /e/OS: 1.21-t-20240323388918-stable-FP3
  • Previous version of /e/OS: 1.20
  • Device Rooted: no

After a week and a half of using v1.21 on my FP3+, I have to say that I didn’t find any good in this upgrade. I do not have the option for 4G anymore (just LTE & 3G options); I cannot change the brightness sliding the finger on the top of the screen; and I cannot make videos anymore, the phone starts recording and it blocks, and if you save the video just the sound is working; when opening and trying to find any app on App Lounge I get a constant message telling me that the anonymous account is not available and that I should refresh, but when I do, it appears again, making it impossible to search for apps. And, overall, I feel the phone slower than on v1.20.

These are things that were perfectly working on v1.20… but I also didn’t read any of these problems on other FP3 users…

LTE means 4G in this context.
Details: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

I can’t confirm any of your other issues on 1.21-t-20240324389105-dev-FP3.

2 Likes

Vendor name: Fairphone/Murena
Device name: FP5
Device CodeName: FP5
Previous Version of /e/OS: v1.20-t
Rooted: no

Phone still reboots/shuts down occasionally

My FP4 coming from 1.20-s is reloading the “webapp” page all the time, so that typing text in Telegram FOSS and other apps becomes a pain. The keyboard disappears, so you have to go to the text box and then go on typing every couple of seconds.

Webapps like the Enphase solar panel app and sometimes the browser are reloading very often without reason.

Sorry late reply, been reading feedbacks with delay. My mobile internet works fine on GS290 after 1.21.1-s- update and was workin fine before. I had to factory reset my phone for other reasons, but after that the new phone icon was gone and old key icon was back. My version is 1.21.1-s-20240326389527-stable-GS290. Thisupdate brought back the delay when keying SIM PIN. Have to wait 30 sec or more to be able to key it. 1.20-s- update fixed it, but now it’s back. This seems to be some kind of problem connecting SIM to network?

I apologize.
The problem with the Simyo-sim is entirely my fault. I misconfigured the settings with the provider.

Vendor Name LG
Device name G3
Device CodeName d855
Stock Android 5.0.x Lollipop
The device is not rooted

Successful installation of e-1.21-r-20240323388943-dev-d855 with recovery-e-1.21-r

FM Radio App does not work: no station search, no playback of any station.

Then I found this post Feedback for 1.13 …

I downgraded to version e-1.9-r-20230312268580-dev-d855 and e-1.12.3-r-20230619301238-dev-d855. Everything works fine with both versions, including Wi-Fi and FM radio.

… and installed /e/OS version

• e-1.12.3-r-20230619301238-dev-d855 = FM-Radio App works :white_check_mark:
  • e-1.3-r-20220824212931-dev-d855 = FM-Radio App works :white_check_mark:
  • e-1.8.1-r-20230205257804-dev-d855 = FM-Radio App does not work :x:
  • e-1.21-r-20240323388943-dev-d855 = FM-Radio App does not work :x:
  • e-2.0-alpha.5-r-20240412393540-dev-d855 = FM-Radio App does not work :x:

My request and suggestion to the ROM Builder: Since the app has not been working for months, it makes no sense to continue integrating it as a system app, especially since normal users cannot even deactivate it with a click.

This looks like a regression bug. You should raise an issue on Gitlab. If already done, pl share the issue ID. Since you have shared test build results on this thread, I am assuming you are a member of the test team and can share this information on the testing channel and have the developer look at it.
The recommendation is to avoid sharing test build info on the forum as it confused other users.

I am a tight /e/nthusiast but neither a member of the test team nor a Gitlab account holder and do not usually share information about test builds here in the forum. The e-2.0 alpha build mentioned here is just to show that the bug has been “carried along” from one version to the next for months.

Added 18/04/24: The media control “button” in notification (30sec forward or backward) works 1 time out of 3. Clear with direct control.