Feedback for v1.4

Same device, Mail app version 6.303 and the reply button is displayed as expected when viewing an email…

Hi there!

I updated two devices to v1.4; 1st is a FP2, used-bought, 2nd a murena-bought FP4.
Both devices are showing the same error (app “advanced privacy wird wiederholt beendet” aka crashes at startup), both devices sometimes are starting automatically into recovery.

I did NOT do a factory reset up to this time because of too many work to get the known setup back.

The 3rd mobile phone, a Moto G3 2015 osprey, is still under V1.3 with no problems.

…hoping for a workaround or nearly next update,

YRS,
Bric

I had no issue on my OnePlus 6T (fajita)

I updated from v1.3r to v1.4r on my Poco F3 (alioth) and my audio no longer works for media files (video, music, viber, any sound). Rebooting does not fix the issue. Is it possible to downgrade to v1.3 without losing my data?

Hi @bonncoyuco welcome to the /e/ forum.

Yes. To find the ROM you might follow this trail:- Smartphone Selector, → Info about Xiaomi POCO F3 / Redmi K40 / Mi 11X - alioth, → Install /e/OS on a Xiaomi POCO F3 / Redmi K40 / Mi 11X - “alioth”, → /e/ image ROM download. First you would check the ROM flashing method recommended for your device.

Let’s follow this method given in the install link above, assuming you have /e/ Recovery.

Steps to install /e/OS from recovery

• Download the ROM to your platform-tools enabled PC.
  • Connect the device
  • adb devices` to ensure communication.
  • Skip all the wipe bits.
  • On the device boot to /e/ Recovery, select Apply Update and in next screen Apply update from adb
  • On your PC type begin the adb sideload method by typing this command in a console
    adb sideload /path/to/your/downloaded_file_name.zip
  • Allow to complete.
  • Reboot. All done.
2 Likes

Hi @aibd

Thank you for your reply. I wish I saw your message before I did the following:

1. I downloaded the v1.3 recovery and dev build (because I noticed that my recovery already says v.14)
  2. I flashed v1.3 recovery as per instructions in the install doc
  3. I adb sideload v1.3 dev build as per instructions in the install doc but I did not factory reset
  4. Installation was successful but after rebooting, the phone was stuck loading (e logo during bootup)
  5. I decided to wipe the data by performing the factory reset
  6. I got past the boot up but upon checking, my build is still v1.4 (20220922) although I sideloaded the v1.3 (20220824) build

Any ideas why this is happening? I am really starting to regret upgrading… everything was working perfectly with v1.3 (except for the adjust brightness by sliding across the status bar which still does not work on my phone with the v1.4 20220922 build

Just to give an update… I tried to reflash v1.3 20220824 build again by using the v1.3 recovery img and factory reset first then flashing the v1.3 build. I got an “adb: failed to read command: No error” message at the command prompt, but on the device it says it got to Step 2/2 with Result 0. I rebooted the phone and it is now back to v1.3.

I hope you are saying that all is well. When you see the reported fail message it is ok. Worth remembering that a fail is not an error! So the full output is expected to say something like ok to 47%. That is the transfer done OK. Now the device does its magic, and probably sends a message to the PC with the “news” . The fail is probably somewhere at this point, but the PC can tell that the job included no error. So all good.

A general point. It is nice to have an updated Recovery, but it is only essential at Android version upgrade. There seem to have been quite a few reports that v1.3 /e/ Recovery did not work fully as expected.

v.1.4 word well on Beryllium (Q).
But it seems to come with an updated version of the default email client (v6.303).
The reply buttons (reply and reply all) have been organised. They are well hidden under: 3-dots>send>reply.
I suppose most users don’t use phones to write lengthy emails but rather reading and quick replying to received emails. For me it does not make sense to hide this core functionality in submenus. Now for a simply reply it requires 3 clicks. This, from user perspective, is clearly a step huge backward.

Please put them back where they were in previous versions.

I second you @ralxx, this is at least weird.

(unfortunately, it’s something that’s probably more to be reported to K9Mail developers, than to /e/ dev team)

Reporting back on this after a few days: The problem did not re-occur (at least not that I noticed) after that day.

@aibd, yes all is well for now. Thank you. I am back to v1.3 where it has been running smoothly for me for 4 weeks before I updated to v1.4.

The odd thing about my experience with updating to v1.4 for alioth is that, during my search, I have seen reports of audio/mic/video issues from people who upgraded to v19 for alioth on lineageos - which I experienced with regards to media sounds and the microphone not working and laggy video playback.

I am not sure if it has to do with the firmware version of the alioth as others have suggested. I am trying to find out the firmware version that my device has but I could not find it in the about phone section. Is there a way to look it up?

After a few days of usin 1.4 i noticed some 5G connection issues like in 1.3 again.
When i try to enable mobile data some times i need to switch into and out airplane mode like 5 times to get data connecting properly
This seems a bit worse than with 1.3

Just updated to v1.4 from v1.3 on FP3+.
One app had been removed following the update - BT Wi-fi (I’m in UK).
I’ve tried to reinstall from App Lounge (com.bt.mnie.wispr). It downloads fully but installation fails and I’m left with ‘retry’ showing against the app. Selecting this leads to a failed installation again.
I’ve tried rebooting my phone & clearing App Lounge cache but installation is still unsuccessful.
Not only would I like to reinstall this if possible but I’m also concerned about an app being removed without being asked / told.
Any help appreciated.

1 Like

In About phone > Android version you will see a date against vendor patch level. You can compare this date with the date of the latest vendor firmware update, that is manufacturer ROM. If the date on the phone is older than the latest firmware version then flashing “latest” manufacturer ROM should be an advance.

I do have the same issue since the v1.4

Hi Lobster,
do you use shelter for a secondary sandboxed working profile on your mobile?
I try to find out if this is bringing the crashes.
The last seen error-notice was for “advanced privacy” in the sandbox.
I freezed it there on both devices, the FP4 is mostly ok at the moment, the FP2 does some strange things when using while loading…

Grrrz,
Bric

Hi @Bric_Abrac ,

Thanks for your reply. I’m indeed using Shelter but I can’t say which one is crashing (main or shelter). Even id I don’t think it is possible to use Advanced Privacy 2 times within the phone as it needs the VPN slot and only one can be use at a time…

Good morning @Lobster ,
you’re welcome!
I thougt like you about a single-use AdPriv.-VPN and simply tried out.
The crash-up-notice shows two keys, one (lower) für X-ed app-shutdown, the upper für opening the app. And here i saw the shelter-marked AdPriv. …

Actualls it’s working, activated in the main profile and freezed in the shelter.
Trial and error, for the first time, but works (the AdPriv.-widget seems to be online, VPN is connected).

By the way, i’m just a bit nervous, i ordered an eSIM at Deutsche Telekom online one hour ago, the SIM-cell-phone-connection is cut by the provider, but no eSIM-Download in sight…

We’ll see…
Grrrz, Bric

Update.
It appears that following the v1.4 update App Lounge sees the BT Wi-fi app as unsupported.
Before again trying to reinstall the app I cleared the App Lounge cache and data and turned off my VPN.
App Lounge didn’t show the app on a search for ‘BT Wi-fi’. It did when I searched for ‘com.bt.mnie.wispr’ but the usual ‘Install’ box showed ‘N/A’ instead. Tapping this resulted in this message:

Unsupported app!
The app BT Wi-fi is currently unsupported. This can be because the app is not yet widely released, or there is some other error.

So this raises a couple of questions.
What’s changed in v1.4 for this app now to be marked as unsupported?
Should an installed app be silently uninstalled with no user input in these, or any other curcumstances?

Nothing lost for me with this app but if apps can be uninstalled now without user input there’s a potential risk of significant data loss depending on the app concerned.

2 Likes