This is a known bug in 1.8.1 (regression):

Hopefully it should be fixed in the next 1.9 release OTA update :wink:

2 Likes
  • Motorola
  • Moto G (5S)
  • montana
  • problem existing since 1.0
  • Not rooted

The phone shuts down randomly, even twice a day, and has difficulties in rebooting.

Most often it hangs on reboot ( e with bouncing dot) and Iā€™m forced to perform a hard shutdown.

On reboot it lose the current time and date, causing many alarms to fail or to reiterate unnecessarily.

I own a g5s and didnā€™t see that behaviour, though I donā€™t use it often. Any way I could provoke a shutdown reliably? may start a thread on it then

Vendor Name: e.foundation
Device name: FP3
Device CodeName: FP3
Version of /e/OS: 1.8.1-r-20230204257076-stable-FP3
Device not rooted.
Previous version Android 9 /e/OS 0.23ā€¦ updated with Easy installer.

Everything I tried works fine :slightly_smiling_face:. Just had Bliss launcher keeping crashing for a while but not it seems to be stable.

1 Like

Unfortunately I cannot say what is the reason and how to reliably and consistently trigger the shutdown.

I can say that it happens more frequently when Iā€™m using Signal, but this can only means that itā€™s the most used app.

What is annoying the most is the reset of time back to the date and time of the 1.8.

February 6th 08:56, if I recall properly

do you do anything to make bliss launcher stop crashing ?

When it happened, because I had open apps which were working, I were able to try to force Bliss Launcher to stop but it had no effect. Bliss continued to start and crash. I shutdown FP3 and started again to see the same : cycles of start and crash. After trying press ā€œStop appā€ a few times with no effect, I just touched the screen on the backgroud area and the cycle stopped. Miracle :slightly_smiling_face:
Bliss launcher was woring again. After a few shutdown and start it works normally. No clear explanation for me.

1 Like

Samsung Galaxy S9

The previous two upgrades went fine.
But with v1.8 Iā€™m experiencing Battery drains very fast.
Hence Iā€™m trying to find some confirmation of this issue.
Which there is Battery drains very quickly - 48h (version 1.7) to 8h (version 1.8) (#6678) Ā· Issues Ā· e / Backlog Ā· GitLab but the ticket is closed with ā€œcanā€™t reproduceā€.

Also Iā€™m experiencing geolocation issues, with the app Maps with me. That app crashed also a lot. I had to reinstall it, and that helped.

1 Like

Iā€™am still waiting to get back my Asus Zenfone 8, but in my old GS290 is see the update 1,9, but i cannot dowload it, because it wil give me a no connection error.

Hmmm, so i am not the only one that that felt since the update to 1.8 my batterylife goes down faster.
Now i must 2 times charge on a day. Before i only charge at the night. Iā€™m not playing games and i do not look many times at videos or youtube.

It is getting worse.

I am usually charging when the battery goes below 30% and go up to some 70%.
Batteries love it around 50%, being totally full or empty stresses them.
As there is a limited memory effect in modern batteries according to the controller, after some ten times loading I fully charge.

In January - with v1.7 active - after a full charge the battery of my FP3+ lasted calculatorily for 4.15 days.

Since I dated up on v1.8.1 the charging cicles show other numbers:

• February 5th - 17th: 3.60 days
  • February 17th - 28th: 2.74 days
  • February 28th - March 11th: 2.46 days

If I would charge for 100% now, it would be March 11th - 17th: 2.05 days which makes practically doubled battery usage.
Also I have strange readings of the percentages the apps use. E.g. Corona Tracing has a using time of 5 minutes in six days (!) and a use of 41%, not to mention the sums of the given percentages that sum up to 178% and so.

Pretty please: Can you repair that?

Depending on which /e/OS version you are running exactly, 1.9 should be out already or out soon.
Best case itā€™s fixed for you, almost worst case youā€™ll have to continue over here ā€¦ Feedback for v1.9 ā€¦ (worst case on every computer device is always: update goes wrong and wrecks your installation, be safe with a backup).

1 Like

Thanks to your hint Iā€™m not wondering anymore about different release specifications.
Here 1.8.1-r-20230204257076-stable-FP3 is running.
:slightly_smiling_face:

So, out soon in this case (stable).

Version: 1.8.1-r-20230204257076-stable-FP3
Model: Fairphone 3 ā€œFP3ā€

The lock screen fails to display todayā€™s date since it defaults to a lettered format of some sort, as opposed to what Iā€™d prefer (YYYY-MM-DD universally), and the display only shows the first n characters so the timestamp is pretty uninformative overall:

My primary language is set to English / Canada but I have replicated the same with English / Denmark as well (they appear not to be equivalent to actual locales like en_CA or en_DK on platforms like Ubuntu though, so I dunno)

I have also set the font size back to ā€œNormalā€ from ā€œLargeā€ and the issue persists

I have also come across a similar, but separate, issue related to date/time formats: the default messaging application cuts off the year, only allowing two-digit (YY) in both English / Canada and English / Denmark respectively, leading to ambiguous formats
I can only upload one image at once, apparently? I guess Iā€™ll get back to it later, then

Here is image number two

Here is image number three

(That spam filter doesnā€™t really have the desired effect, does it? Wouldā€™ve much rather made just one post)

As you can see right up there for me it worked loading up three pics in one post.

https://blog.discourse.org/2018/06/understanding-discourse-trust-levels/

1 Like

Oh, yes, now I understand.
I am so trustworthyā€¦
:innocent: