Feedback for v1.9

• Vendor Name: Fairphone
  • Device name: Fairphone 3+
  • Device CodeName: FP3
  • Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously: 1.9
  • Device is not Rooted

Update worked to 1.9.1

Help needed: I cannot find the option for mobile data use to “always ask” me when using them NOT via WLAN. This caused that I accidentally used 500MB just because my phone lost WLAN connection and did not inform me that it wants to use mobile data. This is really annoying. Is this a bug or just an useful option that is not offered anymore???

1 Like

Apart from the fact that (pending further info) nothing much should be different in 1.9.1 compared to 1.9 …

I’m only aware of an “Always ask” in this context in case there are 2 SIM cards in the phone. In case of only 1 SIM card I’m not aware of an “Always ask” … but if this should exist, I’ll happily learn.

You could simply turn Mobile data on and off in the Quick Settings (see here how to get the separate toggle back in /e/OS Android 12), or perhaps the data warning and data limit settings can do something for you?

@aibd + @columcille … looked up the Contacts behaviour. I described the fix at https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/1563#note_374556 … it uses the agnostic way for address lookup, but not directions. I created a PR. Downside is… you can’t preselect it as destination with the geo: format as you can do with regular http links to google-maps

2 Likes

Google PIxel 4a 5G, Bramble from /e/ OS 1.8.1 R to 1.9
Result : No new version available.
It seems that the 1.9 S exist but not the 1.9 R version.

• Vendor name: OnePlus
  • Device name: Nord
  • Device CodeName: avicii
  • Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously: 1.8.1
  • The device is not rooted (I suppose)

The Installation worked as expected.
However, since the update the battery usage has gone way up.
It seems as the phone never goes to idle state.
Even when not actively using the phone it’s discharging as if it was beeing actively used.
Before the update I had to recharge once every 24 hours, now its like every 8 hours.

In the following screenshot in the marked time, the phone was never used but discharched at a fairly quick rate:

I had a number of similar issues in the past until I learned of

Settings > System > Advanced > Developer options > Mobile data always active | Switch OFF

This post and following comments refer

Thank you for the answer. Due to the answer I found also via a web search I suppose that this feature was not used by many people. To make it clear: There was the general option to choose whether to allow apps to use mobile data, not allow it OR to let them always ask you. Last option results in: When you are in Mobile data and start an application, it will ask you by a popup question window whether to cancel the action, to allow it one time (!), or to allow it always. So, you could let some apps allways have access to mobil data, others will remind you that you are not using WLAN. That was great for me and I would like to have it back.

Thank you for your answer and the hint. I tried it so maybe the phone stops to lose WLAN connection and starts using mobile data.
But I still would like to have the option back that my phone asks me, if I am sure that I want to use mobile data. It worked that way: When you are in Mobile data and start an application, it will ask you by a popup question window whether to cancel the action, to allow it one time (!), or to allow it always. So, you could let some apps always have access to mobile data, others will remind you that you are not using WLAN. That was great for me and I would like to have it back.

I think the way to go would be to open an issue in the GitLab to start a direct conversation with the developers about this … https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues

Can you link to a reference?
I’m still curious about the asking part.
Every setting I’m aware of to restrict mobile data usage of Apps apart from the general on/off is just an on/off toggle per individual App.
The internet suggests to me that Firewall Apps also only provide on/off settings per App and don’t ask every time … but could it perhaps have been an App like this providing this feature?

And, if further info doesn’t contradict this, there’s still the point that nothing substantial should have changed from 1.9 to 1.9.1. According to the current info they just ran the building process again to make it appear in the updater again after 1.9 didn’t show for some reason, and they named it 1.9.1 for this, so why would any feature or setting disappear or change?

When I will find something via web search, I will link it. But, I can tell you that this was a system setting and not an option provided by an extra app (as far as I remember).

Furthermore, I am not sure if it is gone with 1.9.1 or with 1.9. Maybe I just noticed it now…

Hi, i’m on 1.8.1 R on a Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 - the update for 1.9 R does not show up in the system upgrade app
i refresh the updater everytime without result.

Vendor Name : Xiaomi
Device name : Redmi Note 8
Device CodeName : ginkgo
Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously : /e/OS 1.8.1 R
Is the device Rooted / Not rooted : Not rooted

Thanks
Bugcatcher

@tcecyk , thank you for reopening the topic on GitLab.

I thought I found a solution by restricting the right of the contacts app to open links (see red frames in pictures below). Unfortunately, it doesn’t work: Google still opens when clicking on the ‘route planner’ sign (not the address itself). Hopefully, this will be fixed in future releases.

vielen dank!!! for your answers and that you gave me the link to many other further info :+1:

An other point that is different than with v1.8R in galaxy s10+
in the v1.9S if we play music with an other app than the original music-app, the command are not displayed in lock-screen.
I verified my options for the lock-screen, it works only for the original music app.
Not for other one.
I use Vinyl the fork of phonograph, and the widget appears in silence notifications, but not in lock-screen like in v1.8R…
Seems to be a bug, or a restricted option/functionality…
Would be great to have it again for each music apps?

other question, who else have this “issue” and with which music app?

• Device: OnePlus 6
  • Device Codename: Enchilada
  • Previous e/OS version: 1.8.1
  • Device rooted: yes

No issues so far, all seems to be working well

FP3+
Bought from the foundation (November 2020).
Never fiddled with the “rooted or not” aspect.
1.8.1-r → 1.9-s
Installed on 2023-03-31 after a System Updater notification.
Advanced privacy: OFF
No /e/ account.

Though I was scared by all the FP3(+)-related comments here and by the poll results, it ended up being OK. Thanks.

• Battery life still nice.
  • This update fixed the fact that my Gallery was crashing 100% of the time upon startup.
  • Boot time: Normal on all attempts so far (used to have some random really long boots).
  • Performances: Perhaps a bit better than on Andro 11 but not sure it beats 10.

Android 12-related notes, for the sake of it

(Not always sure what is “normal” or linked to /e/.)

• The “large” font size now looks huge, typically in the “Settings” menu. Too bad there is nothing between this size and the default.
  • As other users here, I’m not sure I like the reduction of the number of items available for quick access in the pull-down menu thingy. The “Internet” meta-item kinda confused me as well; I hid it and put the “Wi-Fi” and “Mobile Data” items back in place instead.
  • Lock screen:
    • I don’t see the battery percentage anywhere on the lock screen, even while charging (NB: Using the icon-only setting for the status bar, because seeing the percentage all the time was making me anxious). But anyway I generally unplug the phone a bit after the notification light gets green, and that’s it.
    • Similarly, no charge speed nor full-charge-time-estimations visible on the lock screen. Well, the estimations were a bit crazy and speed looked a bit random anyway.
  • Support for my cheap tiny USB soundcard seems to grow more stable with each Android version.

Will there be a separate feedback thread for 1.9.1 or will this thread cover it? Just to say in 1.9 and 1.9.1 I had notifications of updates to Netflix and TP-Link Tether. They never updated so I removed both. Launching the App Lounge and attempting to install just gets left hanging for both apps with ‘cancel’ greyed out.

samsung galaxy s10+
eOS v1.9S
still not possible to sync the photos to the cloud
The amount of this issue is huge without any solutions.
the thing that I not understand is, is no t possible to set a sync-flag onto a data or folder to add on the sync list.
No way to have a list of folder to sync in the settings of cloud account.
There is no simple overview of what would be sync…