FM radio missing

I have /e/ installed in a Nexus 5 (hammerhead), and realised there is no preinstalled app for FM radio. I read in this thread that FM radio worked fine, so I assume maybe something is wrong with my device. I tried to download an FM radio app from F-droid (SpiritF), but it asks me for the following permissions:

• Draw over other apps/ modify system settings
  • Record audio
  • Modify or delete the contents of your USB storage / read the contents of your USB storage
  • Read phone status and identity

So my questions are:

• Does /e/ come with a preinstalled FM radio app? If not, it should be a nice feature to add, in my opinion.
  • Is it normal that an open source FM radio app asks for so many permissions? It also hasn’t been updatet for 4 years…
    Thanks

Hi, there is an FM radio app in /e/ :slight_smile: I’m on the Oreo branch.

Hi @Anonyme, only in Oreo or also in Nougat? (I have the latter)

I don’t see why Nougat wouldn’t have its FM radio app. That’s weird, maybe it has been forgotten for your phone. If (with others posts that will come) you are the only one without the pre-installed FM app, please rise an issue on the gitlab here.

Thanks for the screen image @Anonyme. Confirmed: Radio FM missing. I will wait if someone else has the same issue and rise is in gitlab.

1 Like

Hmm…could it be because nexus 5 have no FM radio installed?

If by “installed” you mean “built in”, neither my phone. The antenna comes with the headphones.

there is no radio built in, in the nexus 5. so no fm radio, but you can always stream online radio.

Oh, I didn’t know there wasn’t a radio built in, shame… :frowning_face: Thanks anyway @robban !

1 Like

I have a refurbished Samsung Galaxy S7 from the /e/ foundation. Can I use an FM radio application? And if so which one? I cannot locate the one shown in @Anonyme post.

1 Like

Hi @Ors you can check for the app on FDroid or Aurora Store

to my knowledge there is no radio in S7. installing a FM radio app would not do any difference.

Thanks @robban for your answer. What a pity!

Please could this also be made available for the Galaxy S III (GT-I9300), which also runs Nougat flavoured /e/ (7.1.2).

This device most definitely has an FM receiver; the original version of android included a very nice app by the same name.

For me, SpiritF complained that it needed root access. I was able to set ‘Root access’ to ‘ADB only’ (under Developer options) but to no avail.

The only other app I could find was NextRadio, but this wouldn’t work either, citing ‘missing software’.

My (e-0-7-n-) build (Nougat) has preinstalled App FM Radio. However, my phone also has an FM tuner chip.

fmradio

It works fine, just like the station search.

It requires connected headphones as antenna. Listening can be done either via headphones or loudspeakers.

/e/ OS e-0.7-n- (Nougat) is available for some time now => Samsung Galaxy S III (International) - “i9300”

Many thanks for responding. I only installed /e/ on Saturday, and picked the very latest nightly build: e-0.7-n-2019092524859.

Have just checked all the listed changelogs, and there’s no mention of the app’s having been removed. However, it’s definitely missing.

If the build you installed is one of those listed, please say which one, and I’ll install that!

@rob, the pre-installed “FM Radio” seen in post #14 is from a LG (n-0.7-n-) build, not Samsung i9300.

Your installed build i9300 from 25.09.2019 at the moment is the current one.

Have you ever tried a LineageOS 14.1 without /e/? This would make it possible to compare whether the FM tuner was ever supported.

Maybe the maintainer hasn’t (yet) integrated the build of this feature?

it could be as simple as, not enough memory. a lot of system apps have been discarded on nexus 5 because of lack of memory and since i9300 isn’t exactly a beast, that could be a reason to exclude some not vital apps.

According to the documents from gsmarena and fonearena the device has no FM radio chip. Therefore only internal radio is possible.

GSMarena says yes: Stereo FM radio, RDS

These things definitely happen. It is documented by two examples:

In North America, local FM radio is popular despite Internet radio. NextRadio supports over 200 smartphones, incl. Samsung Galaxy S6/ S6 Edge, S7/ S7 Edge and S9/ S9+