FP6: ASHA implementation

Support Request: ASHA implementation

Hi,

if this is the wrong place, please point me to the right one.

Background

I recently bought 2 Fairphone 6 for my parents and while I myself use LineageOS quite heavily, I decided on /e/ for them, mainly due to the fact that there is no current LineageOS version supporting FP6. So while I’m generally willing and able to use non-stock ROMs, I lack experience with /e/

Problem

On his previous phone (a Pixel 3XL with LineageOS) my dad heavily used the ASHA feature, unfortunately this doesn’t seem to be supported by /e/ right now.

Possible Solution

I respectfully request that /e/ developers take the time to implement this important accessibility feature into the OS so that devices that support it (as the FP6 arguably does) can be fully used.

Thank you very much for taking the time to consider my request.

Hi @laird_dave passing on the feedback to the developers.

1 Like

There was a link on the subject in the past

@laird_dave does this appear at all on FP6?

In order to bring together some past information, if of interest a forum :magnifying_glass_tilted_left: Search ASHA tells of some user feedback.

ASHA appears on the /e/ Gitlab as closed

Yes and there were issues in gitlab we were following. Checking with the team if we are still working on the implementation.

1 Like

Thanks for having a look <3

The situation is a bit complicated by the fact that my dad lives > 100km away so I’ll have to try to guide him through this via phone but I’ll have him check and report back.

From the above forum search I found this

Does FP6 support the protocol? I found this

It would be hard to do from a distance but is there any element of /e/ which could be a blocker?

I cannot find that setting

Hearing Devices

on FP3, although it is present on a different non-/e/OS non-Fairphone. If present it would also be found from

Settings > :magnifying_glass_tilted_left: Search: Audio Accessibility

Excuse the ping, perhaps you tested on your new FP6?

1 Like

Thank you for the pointer regarding Accessibility @aibd, I just had my dad click through stuff and send in screenshots.

They’re in German but I’ll translate (unfortunately one pic per post, though, restriction for new users…):

Settings → search “audio”

Click on Audio Bedienungshilfen reveals the audio accessibility settings

Click on “Hörgeräte” leads to the hearing aids settings

Click on the cogwheel leads to the settings

Here we can’t change anything except allowing access to contacts and caller list or changing the device name.

So far we have confirmed, that the hearing aids can be coupled via BLE and are recognized (correctly) as hearing aids. However, no sound gets transmitted to them, if he receives a call or wants to listen to music the sound comes out of the phone’s speaker instead of the hearing aids.

Right now I’m hoping we just overlooked some kind of setting telling the phone how to route audio signals.

We also disconnected and reconnected the hearing aids, to no avail. (By me giving him instructions via Threema messenger app. I must have sinned horribly in a previous life…)

If you have any idea what we could try next I’d be grateful.

Edit: I got basic permissions so I could edit in the missing images

Hi @laird_dave have an update from the developers. As mentioned, we are working on this issue.

It is related to the LE audio which is a next gen wireless Bluetooth audio standard designed for superior audio quality, ability to stream on multiple devices and battery efficient. The core reason is LE audio not working properly when access through the code in the phones.

For now, there are no ETAs. Will share the dates when I get some updates from the team.

1 Like

Thank you @Manoj, I’ll be looking forward to this. I found another possibility and now I’m waiting on my dad checking it out and getting back to me with this info, potentially there is a workaround for the time being. No clue if this works out so I’ll post an update once I hear back from him.

Edit: my idea didn’t work out.

Current settings on FP5 with LOS:

Settings on FP6 with /e/OS:

Note the missing “play audio on”-part on the FP6, this seems to be the issue here.

So I guess we’ll wait for the dev team, thank you again for alerting them to this case @Manoj <3

1 Like

@manoj I appreciate you’ve probably not had time to get round to it yet, but it would be good if this feedback could be shared in related posts such as Audio playback on FP6 through the hearing aid isn't working and in the open GitLab issue FP6: Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) connections do not play audio (#8942) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab

The GitLab issue was raised 7 months ago and there doesn’t appear to be any developer comments there at all yet. It’s unfortunate, but this limited feedback from the developers, and no ETA, feeds the impression that it’s not seen by them as a priority, not good considering the negative impact on hearing aid users.

Have posted the comments on the shared links. I would like to reassure all that the developer is working on this. The no ETA part is because we have multiple tasks assigned and some which need detailed testing on different devices like ASHA implementation can take extra time.
Will share updates. You can always ping me for latest status in case I miss sharing about the progress.

1 Like

Thanks @manoj for reposting the comments and for this additional reassurance and detail. Look forward to some positive developments.

Issue raised in GitLab following release of /e/os v4.0.

1 Like

Saw your comment of the two issues 9436 and 8942 being similar. Have asked the developer to check issues and if required combined them. Will share any updates from the developers.

1 Like

The developer mentioned they would push a fix along with v4.1 A16 build of FP6. This should come out towards the mid of July. Once it is out, please test and let us know the result.

2 Likes

@manoj - still not working properly after v4.1.1 upgrade OTA.

Have updated in Sound stops playing though LE hearing aids after first use - Fairphone 6 (#9436) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab .

Let me convey this feedback to the developer. Will get back with the response.

1 Like

Hi @dave pl check on your FP6 once we release v4.3 which should happen later this week.

1 Like

@manoj some initial feedback on the impact of v4.3 as requested.

As I’ve reported briefly in the v4.3 feedback thread, Bluetooth LE does appear to be working now for streaming sounds to my hearing aids. I need to do more testing to confirm this works for real life cases, including seeing how it connects in my car.

What’s working now:

  1. Music streams to hearing aids, including subsequent tracks. Previously only sound for the first track played could be heard.
  2. Phone conversations appear to work OK, although so far I’ve only been able to test this by calling my home answerphone.

What needs more testing:

  1. Proper, real life phone conversations.
  2. Making & receiving phone calls in my car - notification of call and voice in/out.

Issues noted so far:

  1. No notification sounds are played (eg for mail, message etc) either through phone speakers or hearing aids when Bluetooth LE is active.

This is a big step forward and should make a big difference to me and other hearing aid users. Thanks to everyone for their work on this.

Once I’ve done more testing I’ll give more feedback here, I see that the GitLab issue I raised has been closed as ‘Done’.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @dave

Pl check the fix in detail and share issues if any. Passing on the comments in your post to the developer.

Pl be assured we have an internal issue for this which is very much open.

1 Like