Help Please - galaxy Note 3 hlte

https://linuxfr.org/news/installer-lineageos-sur-son-appareil-android

i think you can find the solution to your problems with the fastboot command-lines describes in the superman’s how-to, in french :

Boot to your Stock-ROM,
in the dev options, enable ADB debuging,
reboot the device in “bootloader” mode by typing :
adb reboot bootloader
Check if the device is reconised by the PC :
fastboot devices
if it ils good, type :
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flashing unlock
Then reboot the device by :
fastboot reboot
return to the dev options and re-enable “ADB debugging” and “OEM unlock” if you find it.

Samsung devices don’t support “Fastboot” - only “ADB commands.” You need Odin or Heimdall to flash.

fastboot_devices

The tool “Minimal ADB and Fastboot” is a slim alternative to the extremely extensive and complex Android SDK complete package. Samsung devices can only use the ADB commands.

minimal_adb_fastboot

Other devices like the manufacturer Xiaomi need ADB & Fastboot commands.

1 Like

This explanation looks to be more for people at my level - I find it a bit easier to understand. I will try to get access to a Windows machine and give it a go.

If you have questions - ask. You are not alone…

Hi
Have a look at my own experience with N9005

I have /e/ running for a year now.

If you have access to a Windows computer, download and install …

1. SAMSUNG USB Windows Driver for Android Mobile Phones

2. Odin v3.14.1

3. and follow this instruction …

N©te → I’m archje a.k.a. archie.

This link takes me to a ‘Page Not Found’. I tried to work back through the Samsung site to find the files. It prompts me to create an account - but it won’t let me as it requires a US zip-code. Do you have a link to a EU/UK Samsung site?

This Samsung’s website was still available this morning.

SamAndUSB
Click on the picture and you will get a serious Samsung Driver download.

You don’t need to register anywhere. The downloads for → Samsung Driver and → Odin3 are without obligation to register.

1 Like

Many thanks, I got the drivers at that site.

archje: This proved to be a very useful link. I borrowed a Windows laptop and between the advice on this link and other advice provided by yourself and others on here, I have successfully installed /e/ on my Note 3.
I am very grateful to you all. I have made my first call and so far so good.

If I come upon any little problems, I hope you won’t mind if I ask again for your help.

Thank you again to all who took the time to offer me help and advice - I am now an /e/ user.

I will of course donate to the e.foundation as a thank you.

1 Like

I’m joyful with you @dsimpson. Welcome to the /e/ club.

archje:
i have the phone running an it makes calls, texts, browses etc - so I am more than happy with it.

I have noticed a couple of wee things, one of which is that when I connect my phone to the laptop via USB, the laptop ‘sees’ the device but there are no files or folders showing.

If I ADB the phone I get a message:
'no permissions (user in plugdev group; are your udev rules wrong?)

I am curious now as to what this means and to know if it is something I should be able to fix by adjusting settings. I have looked all through settings but cannot find anything that looks likely.

This is not preventing me from using the phone however other than I cannot copy/move files betwee the two devices.

@dsimpson,
in order to be able to offer specific assistance, it is always important for me to know which desktop computer system is used to run the (ADB) commands, i.e. Windows 10, 8.1 7 or Linux (Ubuntu, Mint, elementary OS, etc.).

At first sight I assume that after successfully flashing under Windows you are now working with the Linux PC again, right?
If so, I suspect that this issue isn’t able to access the AdB shell due to some permission restrictions.

Try to use it with sudo permissions i.e. “sudo adb devices” .

archje:
I am using Linux Mint (latest version). Here is a screenshot of what I get using both adb and sudo adb.

Screenshot at 2020-02-01 17-46-06

dsimpson:
What message are displayed if you enter the following commands:

adb version

adb --help

Hi @dsimpson have you enabled Android Debugging under Developer Options on your phone.
When done while you are running the adb devices command on you PC it will open a small popup like this on your phone…

Select the check box ‘Always allow from this computer’
now if you run adb devices you should get the device ID
Also when you swipe down from top you would see a ‘Android system…Charging this device via USB’ on tapping it there will be other options . Select file transfer option

I get:
Screenshot at 2020-02-02 17-08-35

I don’t get that pop-up but I do get one asking me to confirm activating USB debug.

I get the following when running ADB devices with USB Debugging off then on.
Screenshot at 2020-02-02 17-13-49

@dsimpson, adb version and adb --help looks fine.

$ adb devices
List of devices attached
9885e630455     »device« 

Instead of »no permissions« - »device« must appear here. At the moment I don’t know what to do.

By the way: »Allow USB debugging?« popup as above is also displayed when connecting my phone to my PC.

What I might do is to go back to the start and reinstall /e/ and see what I get before messing with any settings.

Today, I discovered that although I can make and receive calls and texts, I cannot access the internet via my SIM (I can on WiFi).

Once I have done that I will let you know what happens.