Help Please - galaxy Note 3 hlte

Yes, I do see ‘Developer Options’ and I have set USB Deugging to ON.
I don’t know about MTP os SHARE, but I will have a look.
I haven’t built my own Heimdall - I would have to learn how to do that.

Thank you for helping.

@dsimpson, where and which version of Heimdall did you install?

I’m currently trying out heimdall → v1.4.2 (23.01.2020) and this → instruction manual.

I have looked on my phone and I can see nothing relating to this - even when I connect to my laptop via USB.

Yes, I am doing that. However, once I get to the Download Mode, I can go no further as I cannot get a connection between the phone and the laptop.

Does this mean that I cannot install eOS on a Samsung Note3 using Linux? I don’t have a Windows computer to try with that.

I am running V1.4.0. Do you think that might be the problem?

The Heimdall project does not provide package for the last version. So you need to build it manually from [our fork]
(https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/tools/heimdall).

The binaries provided by /e/ web site [here]
(https://images.ecloud.global/tools/heimdall/)
are just working for ubuntu, if you use another distribution, you have to build them

V1.4.0 is a very old version.The /e/ documention also → recommends Heimdall v1.4.2 via → Build Heimdall.

These requirements for flashing /e/ OS ROM are not easy for everyone to understand. In contrast, using Samsung’s Odin3 under OS Windows Desktop Computer is a breeze.

Thank you again. I’ll have a go at building Heimdall although this will be new to me.

If I can get access to a Windows OS machine and dowload Odin3, is the flashing process the same as the instructions I have been following?

Yes, Odin3 does the “same” as Heimdall.
See also → [HOWTO] Install /e/ on a Samsung smartphone with Windows easily

OK, I’ll look at both methods and see how I get on. It will be a few days before I get a chance to do this but I will post back on here and let you all know how I progress.

https://linuxfr.org/news/installer-lineageos-sur-son-appareil-android

i think you can find the solution to your problems with the fastboot command-lines describes in the superman’s how-to, in french :

Boot to your Stock-ROM,
in the dev options, enable ADB debuging,
reboot the device in “bootloader” mode by typing :
adb reboot bootloader
Check if the device is reconised by the PC :
fastboot devices
if it ils good, type :
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flashing unlock
Then reboot the device by :
fastboot reboot
return to the dev options and re-enable “ADB debugging” and “OEM unlock” if you find it.

Samsung devices don’t support “Fastboot” - only “ADB commands.” You need Odin or Heimdall to flash.

fastboot_devices

The tool “Minimal ADB and Fastboot” is a slim alternative to the extremely extensive and complex Android SDK complete package. Samsung devices can only use the ADB commands.

minimal_adb_fastboot

Other devices like the manufacturer Xiaomi need ADB & Fastboot commands.

1 Like

This explanation looks to be more for people at my level - I find it a bit easier to understand. I will try to get access to a Windows machine and give it a go.

If you have questions - ask. You are not alone…

Hi
Have a look at my own experience with N9005

I have /e/ running for a year now.

If you have access to a Windows computer, download and install …

1. SAMSUNG USB Windows Driver for Android Mobile Phones

2. Odin v3.14.1

3. and follow this instruction …

N©te → I’m archje a.k.a. archie.

This link takes me to a ‘Page Not Found’. I tried to work back through the Samsung site to find the files. It prompts me to create an account - but it won’t let me as it requires a US zip-code. Do you have a link to a EU/UK Samsung site?

This Samsung’s website was still available this morning.

SamAndUSB
Click on the picture and you will get a serious Samsung Driver download.

You don’t need to register anywhere. The downloads for → Samsung Driver and → Odin3 are without obligation to register.

1 Like

Many thanks, I got the drivers at that site.

archje: This proved to be a very useful link. I borrowed a Windows laptop and between the advice on this link and other advice provided by yourself and others on here, I have successfully installed /e/ on my Note 3.
I am very grateful to you all. I have made my first call and so far so good.

If I come upon any little problems, I hope you won’t mind if I ask again for your help.

Thank you again to all who took the time to offer me help and advice - I am now an /e/ user.

I will of course donate to the e.foundation as a thank you.

1 Like