[HOWTO] Installing Banking Apps

It is no longer working for a Citibank app in my case. I will not replace /e/ with Google Android. Instead I will just use from my phone’s browser the web banking.

4 Likes

Looks like latest smile update doesn’t work sadly

Right, I left smile. So don’t have the app anymore.

This is not fully trelated to this, cause I bought phone which isn’t yet supported by /e/ OS, nut probably will be supported as it has official LineageOS support (Redmi Note 8T), so I will use Lineage OS at first at least.

Anyway just to make sure, have I understood it correctly that you can’t never get SaftyNet passs with Magisk if there’s no GAPPS, only MicroG on the phone (Fake Gapps + MicroG probably won’t change a thing?)? And if so, this alone makes some banking apps unavailable?

It’s quite frustrating if so, especialy since EU says banks shouldn’t rely just to username + password + keylist. Thus banks are moving to use banking app with mobile key, which makes just using mobile site of bank almost useless. I know it’s not /e/ fault, but it’s still frustrating when it’s so hard to get rid of google tracking. Maybe EU should make demand that banking apps should be able to use without Google services also , as long as there’s safe way to do it…

1 Like

@huuhaa I agree. Just curious. Can you use the mobile website of your bank on your eOS phone plus the old-fashioned mobile-tan system? Or is such a setup blocked by your bank?

Yes that’s right. I do have the same issue with DKB bank. On my ungoogled LeOS-R GSI with MicroG the Tan2Go app isn’t working anymore. But every bank has a external Tan Generator handling available for users without Handy or not compatible device. So it’s no problem, use eOS or LeOS and external Tan Generator

2 Likes

Thanks @sve and @harvey186 I don’t know if my bank has even had option to use mobile-tan or separate device if you’re referring to that kind solution. It just was ar some point when they did use mobile key via banks mobile app. Current situation is, that username + password + keylist still wors at least for some time. There might be SMS verification to enter key from the list to corresponding to the number mentioned at SMS.

Bank in my case is Finnish bank Osuuspankki and their apps OP-Mobiili & Pivo (Pivo being used for NFC payments and sending money using phone number). It’s also kind of weird that even when Osuuspankki is refusing to use Google Pay and is using their own service instead (which is good), it’s the one bank which seems to be hardest to use with Lineage OS etc (when speaking at Finnish banks).

I’ve also read that it can be used by using Magisk hide with magisk hide probs + Shelter or Islands. But if SafetyNet cannot be passed without Google services, I assume those cases where Magisk is enough are related to LineageOS + GAPPS + Magisk. Or are there still chance it would work even with /e/ or LineageOS?

OT: I read that Islands would also become open source, not sure what is situation now, but it’s not at F-Droid at least what I know.

1 Like

There is an open source app. The name is shelter

2 Likes

Yep I’m aware of that, it was just my mistake… I thought there was something about to change in Island app, it is open source but turns out it uses closed sorce libs etc and uses googles firebase etc.

Anyway I wont continue this offtopic more, just mentioning that Island has been forked with co-operation with original dev, sources of fork Insular can be found here:

https://gitlab.com/secure-system/Insular

And progress toward F-droid acception here:

https://gitlab.com/fdroid/rfp/-/issues/1393

Thank you a lot, this has turned out to be very friendly forum community with active and friendly members.

I might continue focusing banking apps first at my older “playgroud phone” Honor 8, flash LineageOS without gapps to it and also magisk and test my banking apps at that base first. But for that I might look forum is there some general topic if there turns out to be some questions I need to ask some help regarding non /e/ rom etc.

Anyway thanks again.

1 Like

Without doing any of the the above I installed 2 Deutsche Bank apps, one for mobile TANs and one for approving credit card purchases, both from Aurora and apparently with no problems.

4 Likes

I tried with my LineageOS without gapps at my old Honor 8, and so far seems that Magisk hide + MicroG was enough to get previously mentioned OP-Mobiili to work, Pivo doesn’t work, comlains about missing Google services as does OP-Mobiili, but for Pivo just clicking OK isn’t quite enough. I did get it through once to the point where it was able to turn fingerprint login on, after that it stopped working and started whole process from begin.

Mobilepay does work and I believe S-Mobiili would work also since it did worke even earlier when none of others mentioned here wasn’t working.

2 Likes

Not all what is working on LOS is working on eOS

1 Like

PS: Since then I have actually used both apps and yeah, they work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I took the apk files off my old phone and installed them on my e phone with no problems. Let me know if there is a reason not to do it that way.

2 Likes

Install Magisk without TWRP

1. update /e/ to latest version
  2. download Magisk Manager apk from https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk
  3. install Magisk Manager on /e/
  4. download latest ROM image for your phone from e.foundation
  5. extract payload.bin from ZIP, convert to IMG files with Payload Dumper Tool
  6. open Magisk Manager
    check if your device has a boot ramdisk as shown in Magisk Manager
    if not check further documentation (https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html)
  7. upload boot.img to phone
  8. tap «Install» in Magisk section in Magisk Manager
  9. choose «select and patch file» and select boot.img
  10. download patched magisk_patched_xxxxx.img file to PC
  11. reboot to fastboot mode
  12. fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_xxxxx.img
  13. restart
1 Like

I’ve been using /e/ OS now from end of november 2020 first at unofficial build for Redmi Note 8T and since first official build was released I started from scratch using it. I’m not sure is there some benefits for installing busybox etc. and am I doing things “wrong” way? Anyway here what I do:

1. Install Magisk from XDA like mentioned in this how to, using TWRP to install.

2. After phone starts up, open Magisk manager and go to settings and enable MagiskHide under Magisk section. I also use ADB only or Disabled at Superuser Access section.

3. In my case banking apps checks is Magisk manager is installed, so it’s needed to use “Hide the Magisk app” and give it custom name. After Magisk upgrade you might have to go settings and use “Restore the Magisk app” and after that use “Hide the Magisk app” function again. After hiding, magisk might restart / close & you have 2 shortcut to app at least if using Bliss launcher, you can remove Magisk manager shortcut and leave the one you renamed.

4. Install needed banking apps from aurora store, but don’t open those yet!*

5. Open renamed Magisk manager select shield icon and MagiskHide from there & tick checkmark to your banking apps. Go back and you can close Magisk manager by now.

6. Now it’s time to try opening your banking app for the first time! I usually do restart to phone just in case before this. Anyway now banking apps should work.

• The reason I recommend not to open banking apps at all before Magisk is fully configured, is that some Apps (ie. Pivo [fi.op.android.lompsa]) is one of those which recocnized Magisk Manager by name (also for some names added to guides in Finnish forums). It does not only do that, but it also will save some information that app cannot be used because of developer mode and clearing app cache & data won’t help after that even when Magisk is configured. But if first configuring Magisk, then starting app for the first time, everything seems to work.

But like said, I don’t know what are downsides with this method, compared to the first post. But with this way even NFC payment with Pivo works.

3 Likes

Yes Dear, It works.
My finance apk has started.
Is there any Security problem with this way of rooting etc.?

Thanks

1 Like

Another Finn here! Let’s talk in Finnish :grinning:
Mä olen ihan uusi /e/ os -käyttäjä. Ongelma on sama kuin sulla. OP-mobiili valittaa ruuttauksesta. Pivosta oon luopunut jo kauan sitten sen Google -riippuvuuden takia. Mä en kerta kaikkiaan uskalla lähteä tekemään noita sun kertomia vaiheita läpi, koska olen ihan tavallinen kännykän käyttäjä, joka haluaa pysyä erossa Googlesta. Onnistuisin varmasti tekemään jonkin peruuttamattoman virheen, jota ainakaan itse en pystyisi korjaamaan. Olisiko sulla ehdotuksia? Tällä hetkellä mä voin hoitaa pankkiasiat vaikka mun Sailfish -Sonylla. Se vaan on vähän turhaa lisäsähläystä.

1 Like

Well, I suppose it’s OK to write bit Finnish here too, but I will give a link to English blog post.

Sanoisin että jos ei halua “kikkailla” noiden juttujen kanssa, kannattaa jokin tovi käyttää kakkospuhelimella pankki juttuja. Vuosi 2021 tuo mukana uudistuksia joiden myötä toivottavasti myös pankkisovellukset alkavat toimimaan ilman kikkailua… Siitä lisää tuolla (SafetyNet osuus):

1 Like

Thank you! Looking forward to those improvements you mentioned. I’ll use my Sailfish Sony for banking until then. Google sucks, /e/ rocks. :slight_smile:

1. toukokuuta 2021 5.05.12 GMT+03:00 huuhaa via /e/ community community@e.email kirjoitti:

| huuhaa
May 8 |

• | - |

Well, I suppose it’s OK to write bit Finnish here too, but I will give a link to English blog post.

Sanoisin että jos ei halua “kikkailla” noiden juttujen kanssa, kannattaa jokin tovi käyttää kakkospuhelimella pankki juttuja. Vuosi 2021 tuo mukana uudistuksia joiden myötä toivottavasti myös pankkisovellukset alkavat toimimaan ilman kikkailua… Siitä lisää tuolla (SafetyNet osuus):

/e/ & 2021: the year everything is going to change (2/2) — A product roadmap Community

This article was intially posted on Gaël Duval’s blog on April 29th, 2021. [1 5deTxryIBV3Uv6_KDFyWzg] Credit: unknown In the first part of this article, we explained that /e/ has a primary focus on user’s data privacy, circular economy and energy, and that it is fully inline with the global trend seeking to reduce the negative impact of tech in general and helping creating a new paradigm to build a better world. Do you want to know more about what we are going to do with the /e/OS user inte…

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

– Lähetetty /e/ Mailista.

1 Like