Issue with no connectivity for users still on old builds post release of v2.0

Current version installed on my phone is 0.12-q-2020111084009-stable-FP3
and experiencing the issue

I have upgraded to 1.5.1 and basically nothing changed in the behaviour. It still shows “no internet” on my WLANs. But the data seem to come through. But I think they came through before, too! I only did not use it as I switched off WLAN and than saw that on 3G/4G/5G connection the “x” for “no internet” is shown.

This even is Android 10 (Q) stable already, which for FP3 later got OTA upgrades (automatic via the updater in the Settings instead of having to do it manually) to Android 11 (R), Android 12 (S) and Android 13 (T). Current version would be 2.0-t.

What does the updater in the Settings say? Does it simply say there are no updates, or is it some error?

Thanks for raising the issue @Matixelles Have passed on the details regarding this to the developer to check.

All those who are facing this issue can add their logs to this report on gitlab

1 Like

In another thread where the user had an older (Oreo) stable build and seemingly similar “connected, no internet” issue, the System updater seemed to be repaired / recovered by applying

3 Likes

I german but similar issue on same device:

Thank you very much! With this I have seen that the flow of upgrades did not stop Nov 2022 but that there are a lot of more updates. Now I am loading OS 2.0 and hope I get WLAN shown as “with internet” and 3G/4G/5G, too!

And my FP4 works as it should now! WLAN normal, 3G/4G/5G normal. It shows now Build: e:FP4-user 12 SQ3A.220705.004 eng.root.20240506.184134

1 Like

It’s easier for everybody here to see the relevant bits of version info this way, and it’s how the filenames of the OS install files are arranged, too.

Okay It shows now:
FP4
Android 12
/e/ OS-Version 2.0-s-20240506399550-stable-FP4

1 Like

Thanks, much easier to see what exactly you are running now :+1: .

FP3
Android 9
0.23-p-20220406176461-stable-FP3

1 Like

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Android 9
0.23-p-20220412177701-dev-mido

This is Android 9 (P) and thus the situation i described above.

The way forward on FP3 is a backup of all your important stuff on the phone to somewhere safe, and then a new install, either with the Easy Installer or manually via command line … https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP3
Both options will wipe your data.

You are absolutely certain this is the ONLY way to fix this issue? Are we sure what is causing the issue yet? I don’t wanna risk bricking my phone unless there is no other way…

I can backup his method and so could alot of others on the forum if you search for it :wink:

When the internet works on the phone, but the status bar icons say it doesn’t, a typical cause should be that a so-called captive portal server can’t be reached. The phone checks whether internet works by contacting such a server which sends a short reply. No reply = no internet, the phone assumes, while the rest of the internet might work perfectly.

It is possible that old /e/OS versions query a server which now got turned off, because newer /e/OS don’t query it anymore.

Edit: Deleted some steps copied from the internet to try to find out more, but quickly got around to try myself and now I’m not sure this leads to anything. Will try again when I have more time.

If you happen to have Fairphone Angels (community volunteers trying to help users) with Fairphone 3/3+ (and ideally /e/OS) expertise in your vicinity, you could ask them whether they would perhaps be able to help in person … :angel: The Fairphone Angels Program and Map (Local support by community members) - Local - Fairphone Community Forum .

1 Like

Hi,
I noticed recently that my device (ONEPLUS A5010) now tells me that there is no internet connection when connected on wi-fi, while there is. I can browse, I can update apps, a ping in a terminal gives an answer.
I do not use a lot my phone, and i can’t tell when exactly it started, or what modification triggered this notification. I tested several wi-fi connections, with the same result.
My /e/OS version is 0.19-20211023142278, Android 8.1.0, 23 October 2021 (i just checked for updates).

I’d be glad to get any insight, or how to disable this notification. I already reset Wi-Fi configuration, without any change.

Thanks in advance!

the captive portal “forever url” seems down or flakey, this should be the reason

2 Likes

In common with others with this issue, this is an old build. A manual upgrade of Android version could allow you to run /e/OS v2.0 at Android 13 (T).

You would need to make a backup of essentials then perform the upgrade as if it was a new Install https://doc.e.foundation/devices/dumpling/install

This would involve going back to “Stock ROM” to get the latest Android 10 firmware.

Does this mean that if that server would be made up and running again our problem would be solved? Who is responsible for keeping that server running? Is there some person that can be made aware of this?