Issue with no connectivity for users still on old builds post release of v2.0

If so, how can it be fixed?

Just chiming in quickly with my two cents as I seem to have the very same problem since two days ago. Browsing works fine and so do emails; Spotify doesn’t, Duolingo says “you are offline” although it does give me notifications, and DAVx5 says explicitly “there is no validated internet connection” (“keine überprüfte Internetverbindung”). Since that synchronises my calendar, that is really problematic for me.

However, last night I was on the train and connected to the onboard wifi, which requires clicking a checkbox in the browser to agree to terms and conditions. And THAT internet connection worked for all the apps!

I don’t really understand the difference to be honest, but maybe this helps somebody else pinpoint the issue.

1 Like

Hey all, I’m glad this isn’t just me. I am also seeing “No internet connection”. I see it regardless of what interface I am using. Mobile data, WiFi, and even a hard wire connection through an ethernet to USB-C adapter all show this. This started about 4 or 5 days ago.

After trying to ping 8.8.8.8 and seeing it worked fine, I was able to diagnose the issue as being DNS-related. I thought my carrier DNS was down so I tried setting it manually to 1.1.1.1 but that didn’t change anything. I tried using the Private DNS settings (which have never worked for me) and unsurprisingly that did not help.

I manually set my DNS in the terminal with the setprop net.dns1 command to Cloudflare’s 1.1.1.1 and that allowed the phone to reach the Internet. Despite the fix, the phone constantly says “No internet connection” and network icons at the top have an ‘X’ on them. Also WiFi will no longer automatically connect to saved networks, even though this setting is enabled:

Device model: HD1913: OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
Build number: e_hotdog-userdebug 11 RQ3A.211001.001 eng.root.20220405.002627 dev-keys

1 Like

I submitted a ticket on gitlab. If you want to comment and/or follow it, this is here :

https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/7975

It has not been assigned yet so no one is working on it.

1 Like

I have the same problem since a week! Fairphone 3, no changes on my side. All my own WLANs can be seen, but not matter to what I connect, it connects to it and tells me that there is “no internet”. If I switch the WLAN in the FP3 off I get internet via the 3G/4G/5G but the symbol for telephone signal quality shows an “x” in it for no connection. My wife has a Samsung without /e/ and that works normally in my environment.

i just found that my last system update got version /e/OS 1.5-r-20221028230215-st but my actual used is /e/OS 0.22-20220224165878 which is probably the delivery state when I got it two years ago. Seems that somehow it works in that old version again. Could any of you check your actual version?
Unfortunately I have only a small monthly amount of data and the necessary download of the version 1.5 of Oct 2022 is 1.2 GB. But I started the download. But it could take longer. I will report whether this helped or not.

Using Fairphone 3, /e/OS 0.23-202204061 updated last 6 april 2022 (no new updates).

That fits perfect to my observation that a lot of fp3 did fall back to their original version which was relatively buggy! Unfortunately my download of the version 1.5 stucks with 86% as my data volume is exhausted now :frowning:
I boooked more data and its through now. It prepares the update. Keep fingers crossed!
Now I am again on version 1.5 but the behaviour is the same. All 3 of my WLANs show the same “no internet” as before and if I switch off the WLAN the 3G/4G/5G connection shows the “x” again. But now I see suddenly a version 1.5.1 update.

Please refer to [HOWTO] Give complete /e/OS version info easily for support, answers, comparison etc to include all necessary info for others to be able to help.

The emerging solution to the problem seems to be updating or upgrading to a more current OS version, ideally to the really most current one.

As with any update/upgrade … please backup all your important stuff on the phone to somewhere safe beforehand.

They didn’t fall back. 0.23 simply was the last /e/OS version based on Android 9 (P) on Fairphone 3/3+, from which a manual upgrade would have been necessary to get any further, which not every user did, which simply left devices stuck on this old version. This still comes up from time to time in the forum.

There were a lot of new updates, but because of a technical issue which the developers couldn’t work around a manual upgrade to Android 10 (Q) would have been necessary to get them.

What’s your complete /e/OS version (see link given above)?

Zerberus, If you report your findings, there is a ticket open here
https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/7975

I have a FP4 (sorry I have written before it is a fp3) with Android-Version 11 and Build e_FP4-user 11 RQ3A.211001.001 eng.root.20221028.151108 dev-keys

Now I just do the update to 1.5.1 manually

Current version installed on my phone is 0.12-q-2020111084009-stable-FP3
and experiencing the issue

I have upgraded to 1.5.1 and basically nothing changed in the behaviour. It still shows “no internet” on my WLANs. But the data seem to come through. But I think they came through before, too! I only did not use it as I switched off WLAN and than saw that on 3G/4G/5G connection the “x” for “no internet” is shown.

This even is Android 10 (Q) stable already, which for FP3 later got OTA upgrades (automatic via the updater in the Settings instead of having to do it manually) to Android 11 (R), Android 12 (S) and Android 13 (T). Current version would be 2.0-t.

What does the updater in the Settings say? Does it simply say there are no updates, or is it some error?

Thanks for raising the issue @Matixelles Have passed on the details regarding this to the developer to check.

All those who are facing this issue can add their logs to this report on gitlab

1 Like

In another thread where the user had an older (Oreo) stable build and seemingly similar “connected, no internet” issue, the System updater seemed to be repaired / recovered by applying

3 Likes

I german but similar issue on same device:

Thank you very much! With this I have seen that the flow of upgrades did not stop Nov 2022 but that there are a lot of more updates. Now I am loading OS 2.0 and hope I get WLAN shown as “with internet” and 3G/4G/5G, too!

And my FP4 works as it should now! WLAN normal, 3G/4G/5G normal. It shows now Build: e:FP4-user 12 SQ3A.220705.004 eng.root.20240506.184134

1 Like

It’s easier for everybody here to see the relevant bits of version info this way, and it’s how the filenames of the OS install files are arranged, too.

Okay It shows now:
FP4
Android 12
/e/ OS-Version 2.0-s-20240506399550-stable-FP4

1 Like