Looking for someone to install /e/ on a few phones for me

I am in the US, I have 3 phones I want /e/ on, can’t seem to get it to work myself. I’ll pay shipping and pay someone to do the installs for me.

Also, I’ll be in Brussels, Paris & Rome in June if it’s better to connect in person

Thanks in advance

Hello @kevink-lhrglobal,

which devices and models are involved? Are these three devices in the → /e/ Smartphones list?

I’m most interested in a Samsung S9+ and an S9, they are on the list

Galaxy S9 - Please see page (bottom right):

Models Supported by /e/ (Exynos)

• SM-G960 F
  • SM-G960 FD
  • SM-G960 N

Other models are not supported

→ Not supported by /e/ OS Samsung Galaxy S9 (Qualcomm Snapdragon)

• SM-G960 U
  • SM-G960 U1
  • SM-G960 W
  • SM-G960 0
  • SM-G960 8

Galaxy S9+ - Please see page (bottom right):

Models Supported by /e/ (Exynos)

• SM-G965 F
  • SM-G965 FD
  • SM-G965 N

Other models are not supported

→ Not supported by /e/ OS **Samsung Galaxy S9+ (Qualcomm Snapdragon)

• SM-G965 U
  • SM-G965 U1
  • SM-G965 W
  • SM-G965 0

I could buy 2 new moto Z Play phones and send them your way. Would that work? It seems that all models of the motorola moto z play are compatible

An easy-installer program is announced for the string

You could also search for a local Linux community. I’m sure someone would take time to help you out (it’s not that difficult to get e on the phone if someone is familiar with Linux).

Linux isn’t the measure of all things. Open a command prompt on Windows or terminal on macOS and work with the SDK Platform Tools (ADB & fastboot) as well as Motorola USB drivers for Windows/Mac.

Actually I am a Linux guy, I run Fedora as my primary laptop OS, I am more than comfortable with Linux installs. I wonder if maybe I just have one of the unsupported samsung S9+ models. I think I will buy a Motorola Moto Z Play, since it seems that all models are supported and try again

Thanks

2 Likes

HI, I am a Linux-user too. I never had anything to do with adb and so on, but because of my little experience with the command line in Linux, I managed to flash a new ROM on three devices. You should give it a try, I think you will succeed!

Cheers!

2 Likes

:heart: :heart: :+1: :clap:
Yes, Linux is the total best…

1 Like

Hi Kevin,
were you able to install /e/ on your phones ?

Hi @kevink-lhrglobal

I can help, let’s get in touch to see how we can do it.

Hi everyone, can anyone help me with the installation of eOS on the Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1? I will pay postage and installation. I’m from Czech Republic. Thank you.

Hi Eveyone,

just to share my experience . I’m a newbie for installing E on my S9 and I have a Mac running at home. Thought I coudln’t install it BUT with a bootable Linux system on a USB key and the Easy Install , it’s very simple … Took me 2 hours.

1 Like

Hi Toffee… THANK YOU for posting this :slight_smile:

I am a long-term Mac user since os7 BUT am finally going to dump them. I am buying a S9+ (SM-G965F) and wanted to use the Easy Installer, but I only have a MBP 2017, with USB-C ports, running macOS 11.1 Big Sur so had no way to flash eOS.

May I ask what you used for the bootable USB… Ubuntu or… ? Just trying to get as close to what you did as I can :slight_smile:

Thanks for any input you can.

Warm regards
IT VAULT

as macOS is a unix based OS,
I think the command line should work in a console as well as in a terminal.

How to Install ADB on macOS

1. Download the ADB ZIP file for macOS from Google
  2. Extract the ZIP to an easily-accessible location (like the Desktop for example).
  3. Open Terminal.
  4. To browse to the folder you extracted ADB into, enter the following command: cd /path/to/extracted/folder/
  5. For example, on my Mac it was this:cd /Users/Doug/Desktop/platform-tools/
  6. Connect your device to your Mac with a compatible USB cable. Change the USB connection mode to “file transfer (MTP)” mode. This is not always required for every device, but it’s best to just leave it in this mode so you don’t run into any issues.
  7. Once the Terminal is in the same folder your ADB tools are in, you can execute the following command to launch the ADB daemon: adb devices
  8. On your device, you’ll see an “Allow USB debugging” prompt. Allow the connection.install adb
  9. Finally, re-enter the command from step #7. If everything was successful, you should now see your device’s serial number in macOS’s Terminal window. Congratulations! You can now run any ADB command on your device!

How to Install heimdall on macOS

Download Heimdall from e.foundation

Run the following commands to install heimdall for all users:

$ unzip /path/to/heimdall_macos.zip -d /tmp
$ cp /tmp/bin/heimdall /usr/local/bin
$ rm -rf /tmp/bin

Validate
In a terminal, you can run run the following command to check that everything is working properly:

$ heimdall info

Then read this how to and pick up what you need :

2 Likes

Hi @piero thanks for the reply…

As I am new to eOS, Android and phone flashing (last flash was on an iPhone 1 to jailbreak :slight_smile: I would just like to check best practice. As I will have a NEW S9+ which says its on Android 8.0 (Oreo), is it best to:

1. Boot into Android
  2. Run Phone updates ? or Phone Firmware etc… ???
  3. BUT NOT update Android 8 to 10…

THEN do the eOS install…

Thx, just want to avoid bricking etc :slight_smile: Rather excited to finally be moving off Apple, and onto a private mobile :slight_smile:

Thx
IT VAULT

1 Like