Maps application

Hi, I’m trying to get used to MagicEarth as my daily GPS device, but encountered some problems:

• Sometimes it doesn’t find addresses in far away neighbourhoods in small villages
  • Can’t set it to be my default Maps app in Android (I still don’t use /e/ as my daily device). I went to preferences and set Magic Earth as default app and also went to Gmaps and set it no to be the default maps app, and yet every google maps link (Telegram, browser, search-engine…) opens in Gmap app, not in Magic Earth. Does anyone know how to do it without unabling Gmaps? (unfortunately I need it to arrive to this small far away mountain neighbourhoods)

Hi, lately I have noticed that in the extra-urban roads often sped limits aren’t indicated.

Also last Friday, in Florence, I asked for a road, it was on the list so known by M.E. and instead took me to another, about 2 km away: so I used Waze and I got there.
In the evening in Milan same thing.

Hello I installed /e/ today on Samsung S9. Maps (Magic Earth) crashes everytime. I had Magic Earth before on Samsung Rom, it was working good. Version is 7.1.19.7. Do you have any idea how to fix this (for me and other /e/ users as well !! :wink: )

1 Like

I noticed that a new version is available on Google Play Store : 7.1.19.20.E3E23261.3973F9C4.

I installed the /e/ update (from yesterday, june 7). Maps/Magic Earth is still unusable, it crashes everytime. :cry:
poke @rhunault, if you have an idea.

Hi @Nathanael please can you let us know which version of the /e/ build are you using on your S9. If possible could you create an issue with logs on Github. That would help the developers find the cause behind the crash.

Hi @Manoj, thanks I will create an issue with logs and more infos.
EDIT : done https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/apps/apps/issues/16

Before discovering Yalp Store I was using OsmAnd as a car map(Europe), mountain hiking map (Europe) and backpack travelling map (SE Asia) and the level of details in OpenStreetMap is amazing. But the app is battery hog, sluggish, displayed info is crowded and some zoom levels hide important city labels. These days I use Mapy.cz which is much faster, manages displayed details amazingly well and allows offline use for free (map data outside of CZ and SK come from OSM). But the app is non-free. Only very rarely I need to consult OsmAnd - like when following unmarked mountain climber paths which are not displayed in Mapy.cz

1 Like

I really agree with @Julien a link from PC to mobile is really useful for a map application

1 Like

They also do a lot of unecrypted HTTP connections :-s

I’ve been using Waze for more than a month because GM often misses the path (it recognizes the address but also places it a few miles away).

Hi i was about to try /e/ on my pixel 1 but when i discovered that /e/ actually comes with non free proprietary software i decided not to install it…

I thought the main reason to use /e/ is the open source transparency and not sending data to companies.
I know that it is possible to uninstall maps and use Osmand but i think it is a general mistake to use and bundle “Magic Earth”.

I’ve checked their data policy and though this is exactly what i do NOT expect from /e/.
Its proprietary so who is able to check if the send data is actually anonymous ?
-> while shipping /e/ with magic earth we do blindly trust an unknown comany.

how will it be updated in case of security flaws (if its not on frdoid) ?
if the new version will be rolled out with new /e/ ota updates who can validate that their policy did not change ?

I know that osmand is not as convenient as f.e. google maps but it works and the map quality is awesome plus its constantly getting updates on f-droid.

There could be a good lead to developp a proper /e/maps app:
https://benmaps.fr/

Developped by a former Mapbox guy named Ben.
He’s active on twitter, there: https://twitter.com/_benjamintd?s=17

1 Like

You’ll need Librem5, all other devices require the so called “proprietary blobs”. Without non-free /e/ just wouldn’t work on most phones. Linux faces a similar issue: without non-free software it just doesn’t work, or only works partially on a lot of computers. You could also try ‘Replicant’ as mobile OS, and buy a WiFi dongle at Technoethical. Without proprietary software no WiFi on almost any phone or tablet. Even more ethical phones as FP2 don’t work without proprietary software.
That said, I do sympathize with the FSF, those people are right: it should be like that. But the reality is different.

3 Likes

hi Rams, i fully agree with this, i really like the OSMAND app too. The map quality is great and also integration with extensions. However, someone pointed out to me recently that for new users (and remember, /e/ aims to tailor to new, mainstream users - your mom and dad, sort of speak) it is difficult to learn to work with. The fact that you have to download maps before you can look something up will put many people off it. Do as i do and email/Github the people at OSMAND for the need for an online UI that allows people upon start up to immediately look things up!

2 Likes

The issue with OSMAND, unless it has changed in recent times is that it does not do traffic re-routing which Magic Earth does. As for privacy all apps using crowd sourced traffic will require trust that the information uploaded to the servers is treated in a suitably private way. If traffic is not required , then I agree there are better alternatives.

M.E. is OK, it has nice feature of high climded / decended. would be nice to have an eco route, especially for EV’s (as i have one) Map detail is good, routing seems alright/god traffic isn’t great.
I was previously a WAZE user, which was about the best.
OsmAnd is OK, but lacks features, traffic is non exsistent. So I ended up getting a completely seprate sat-nav. At least it’s not on my phone and have declind to share data. (Tomtom is good for city traffic, Garmin seems pretty much on par with Tomtomnow on traffic info, can have some percular route choices at times but still better than M.E and OsmAnd.

I’ve been using ME since I started with /e/ and find that it chooses very odd routes some of the time (I always use it offline). On one occasion, driving on a motorway, it wanted me to turn off at every junction and then rejoin! I think I’m going to go back to HERE we go, which is what I used before.

most of these apps are using Google TTS (Text To Speech)

PicoTTS (?) ships with /e/. It’s definitely robotic-sounding, but it works.

A better option that’s still open-source is the Flite TTS Engine (available through F-Droid). Speech quality is better than PicoTTS, though still a bit short of what I’d like, and it’s somewhat crashy.

If you’re not an open-source purist, the CereProc TTS packages (available through Google Play) produce better speech, are inexpensive ($1 each or so), and work without in-app purchases (each voice option is its own purchase). I’ve had the “Hannah” voice installed for a bit, and most of the voice prompts in Magic Earth work pretty well. The ones that don’t probably need fixing within Magic Earth (for instance, US-93 (a major part of the route between Las Vegas and Phoenix) gets pronounced “us-93” instead of “yoo-ess-93”).

I’m not sure but it looks that apps like Osmand with voice navigation only works with the Pico TTS languages (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish). I tried Flite but it has even less languages.

If it’s not open sourse, I tried to avoid it, so CereProc is not an option for me. Is there a way to use Osmand with e.g. Portuguese or Swedish? There is an option in Osmand to download the language packs but it does not work even if it is set.

1 Like