First of all, I’d like to say a big thank you to everybody who made it possible to have an up-to-date android OS without all the less appetizing Google stuff.
And another big thank you to all the people who wrote How Tos and similar documentation.
My only difficulties installing /e/ on a Fairphone 3+ came from
- slightly outdated docs (it’s not possible to install TWRP as recovery, as the device does not support it)
- My lack of understanding how the android bootloader locking/unlocking works (which caused a couple of unexpected factory resets). Not a fault of /e/ documentation, although a little hint would have saved me hours.
Aside from that, everything worked pretty much straightforward.
As for the /e/ default apps, here is a short note on what I think / whether I use them:
- Bliss launcher: Too limited. Couldn’t arrange my app shortcuts the way I wanted (framing a wallpaper image). No (easy) way to get rid of default app icons. No way to mix widgets and app shortcuts. After some searching I went back to the old Fairphone 2 Launcher
- Browser: Used only to install F-Droid. I try to avoid Chromium-based browsers on principle, so no really issue with the app as provided by /e/
- Calendar: Tried it with my offline calendars exported from my old phone. Would have worked for me, but lack of a widget made me switch back to Etar
- Camera: Nice, I am using it. Was already used to OpenCamera, so no big change for me. Some nice improvements from my point of view (or just better default configuration? Doesn’t really matter for me)
- Clock: Works, using it
- Contacts: Works, using it
- Files: Used on occasion, installed Simple File Manager also because SyncThing Fork doesn’t seem to work with Files
- Gallery: Didn’t really try, was happy with Simple Gallery Pro (and switched to it)
- Magic Earth: No idea what this is and what I’d need it for
- Maps: Didn’t try. Was happy with OSMand and went back to it.
- Mail: Didn’t try, Was happy with K9 Mail previously, so switched back to it
- Message: Didn’t try. was happy with QKSMS and switched back to it
- Notes: Haven’t tried
- OpenKeychain: Haven’t tried
- Pdf Viewer Plus: Haven’t tried. Was happy with Librera Reader and switched back to it
- Phone: Works. Using it
- Recorder: Haven’t tried, but intent to try before I install a different app
- Tasks: Haven’t tried
- Weather: Using it via widget
My only real “sad face” moment was when I realized there is currently no convenient non-cloud backup solution. Without an unlocked bootloader I cannot use TWRP as I did on the Fairphone 2, and I also don’t want to root my phone (for the likes of oandbackup). Some hopes for SeedVault, though