My wish list for /e/

I understand there are challenges but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how little I’ve been handicapped by /e/ compared to commercial Android. Simply saying that if there’s a way to do it that can be implemented in line with /e/'s vision, I’d like to see it.

There are several good call blocker apps, for instance NoPhoneSpam.

Hi,

I use Murena for almost 2 years. First : congrats for the impressive work !

There’s 2 things I had to add to Murena:

• anti traker for apps (TrackerControl then back to XprivacyLua)
  • backup “apps+data” soft (titanium backup)

Backup app is the most important. Why ?
Friends who want to use Murena can’t, because they don’t know how to easily backup their current android apps to restore them in Murena.

TrackerControl is really good but don’t work with VPNs (exactly when you want to be a little more private).

I hope you could create or cooperate with someone on this two topics.

Best regards.

Things like AntiSpam Caller, Blokada or Tracker Control or Firewalls should not be part of the OS.
If there is any need for it, everybody is free to install it seperatetly.

For me this is digital freedom.
I am free to install and use it and I am free to do it not.

If all these things part of the OS, an not only the minimalistic systemapps and userspace apps, like mail, calender, camera, etc… then it is not freedom anymore. Then it is patronage.

6 Likes

In the hope of prioritising Wishes for /e/ to focus on (showing which ones are most important to the community) here’s an attempt to summarize everyone’s wishes so far.

This approach is not 100% accurate but hopefully represent the comments fairly.

Each topic has total number of “likes” it received and number of posts it was mentioned in. I tried to apply categories to each wish (these might be incorrect - let me know). Also, there is an occasional solution.

Hope this helps :rocket:

Likes Posts Category Wish Possible solution
33 6 System apps possibility to uninstall system apps Uninstall default apps - #29 by AnotherElk
32 8 App store Better app store
  1. many apps are out of date or impossible to find.
  2. The possibility to see in /e/ Apps which apps are installed.
  3. Update history: somewhere in Apps should be a place where is indicated what apps have been updated when.
  4. When searching for apps, in every search query there should be an indicator highlighting FOSS apps (at least optional).
  5. Make sure that applications such as Firefox or Signal are considered by Apps as Open Source applications as well (for now Apps only recognizes those coming from the F-Droid repository as OSS.
  6. Cursor in search box: When hitting the Search button within Apps, the cursor should jump to the search box in order to let the user type his/her query without any extra manipulation.
  7. keep working with an apk mirror, but build feedback options into the App (beyond appid request) and follow up quickly (reported crashes, not up to date. availibility of apps, regular updates of apps.
  8. If I hit “update all” and put app-manager in the background, it downloads but somehow can’t install the packages and then I have to bring app-manager to the foreground and watch it install. Background download and installation would be good already.
  9. access to paid apps via store without having to resort to Aurora.
  10. e-Apps is a good idea but unfortunately doesn’t work fine most of time.
  11. Long term I would hope to use an App store provided by /e/ but users can choose and more easily teach themselves to take responsibility for updating from the correct source.
  12. a usable and up to date (and security scanned) App store.
  13. More apps in the app store.
19 3 Banking apps Bankings apps not working
  1. issues include to work without Magisk hide ( it’s pain to try help family / relarives to use that while OS update will wipe that functionality => I don’t even try and many haven’t changed to use /e/)
  2. SafteyNet support, the check still fails with this app.
  3. Root Detection, still fails with this app on my not rooted device
17 6 Widgets ability to move widgets on various pages
13 6 Backups Backups
  1. Full phone backup program for PC & Mac (apps,app data, files, phone settings).
  2. backup App and a corresponding Nextcloud App to store backups on Nextcloud server (to fully use /e/-Os with nextcloud without the need of an eCloud accout)
13 7 Launcher Bliss improvement
  1. possibility to re-arrange apps in the folder and lot more stability so folders wouldn’t “explode” and throw all the apps around homescreens. This has currently forced me to change another launcher.
  2. Consider to give option to spp drawer and if you do, give option to use app categories.
  3. To be able to place the apps icons where we actually want them to be unlike the buggy current bliss behaviour and to be able to remove them from the home screens.drawer; pages, up down, left, right; widgets
12 6 Notes Notes.
  1. Update of the Notes app.
  2. Like the “orginal” of Nextcloud too, the note app from /e/ should be able to handle more Markdown syntax. ex: Tables work for Nextcloud, not for /e/.
  3. Setting to be able to save the output as .txt or .md would be great too.
  4. adjust the font size.
  5. if you could define the heading of a note separately in the app (as in the original Notes app by niedermann).And it would be good if the heading of a note automatically appeared in BOLD in the notes overview (as in the original notes app).
  6. if you could format texts ((bold, italic) in the desktop-view too, not only in the app.
  7. Allow sharing Carnet notes.
  8. The Notes app lacks a feature for exporting notes in at least one way as a simple, readable file. I don’t need a synchronization with any cloud, I need an export as text or XML or JSON. Because of that missing feature I don’t use it.
  9. Sending a bunch of notes as an email attachment.
  10. if you could select WHERE you are searching in the ecloud (browser view) in the search: If I am in the “Notes” and click on the search icon, I would like to be able to select that I search for the term ONLY in notes and not in the entire cloud. Currently it is searched in apps, notes, files, comments, deck, messages etc. This is quite sluggish, plus it shows me results I don’t even need. When I search for a term in notes, I only want results from the notes to be suggested.
10 3 System apps Minimal install
9 2 Dark mode Dark mode improvements
9 5 Trackers integrated tracker blocker (something like TrackerControl)
9 1 OS updates OTA OS upgrades to prevent the phone from going obsolete
9 2 OS updates Separate projects for the core OS and the UI changes. e-core and e-UI. Users choose at install time whether to use e-UI or the default Lineage OS UI [FEATURE PROPOSAL] Split /e/ OS into separate components for core OS, Apps and UI changes, Cloud services
9 1 System apps No forked apps in e-core unless needed for privacy
9 1 App store Use existing app stores (F-Droid, Aurora Store) in e-core
9 1 System apps New and forked apps and UI changes go in e-UI, can be installed, updated and maintained from e-core (e.g using F-Droid)
8 2 App store Give Apps a blacklist.
8 5 System apps GUI Stable releases
  1. As stable/fast/bug-free as possible.
  2. better testing of new versions before releasing.
  3. stable and reliebale OTA upgrades
6 3 Notifications UI Canalize notifications, mail messages, messenger messages, SMS, MMS, tweets, upcoming calendar events and other crap into one well ordered timeline shown by a single app
5 1 App store /e/ app store ecosystem where app makers can publish their applications so we know where the APKs are coming from
5 1 Launcher like Bliss
5 2 System apps Better camera UI
5 2 privacy A privacy-friendly keyboard with a comprehensive dictionary and glide typing would be great
4 1 Gallery Gallery being able to access SD card
4 1 Mail mail did not access the e.email account
4 1 System apps system apps do really need some perfection (especially the GUI)
4 1 TTS A Text-to-Speech (TTS) engine that is actually understandable. Alternative to eSpeak? - #14 by pmoody
4 1 System apps Faster bug fixing (the mentioned timer bug since 3 updates for FP3 is really annoying, also the non-working exposure notifikation since the last update).
4 1 OS updates OTA upgrades like from Pie to Q without new installation
4 1 OS updates Possibility to save and/or transfer all the data with locked bootloader in order to don’t lose the data with a new installation or when the phone is lost.
4 2 e /e/ os to stop “spreading itself thin”. It’s complicated to have to deal with the user interface, the operating system, not to neglect security, etc. partnerships, cooperatives.
4 2 System apps device on/off times
4 3 System apps Unknown number handling “Things like AntiSpam Caller, Blokada or Tracker Control or Firewalls should not be part of the OS. If there is any need for it, everybody is free to install it seperatetly.”. “There are several good call blocker apps, for instance NoPhoneSpam.”
3 2 App store Have just 1 app store. I agree with not wanting 2 app stores, though I can see if eFoundation has their own, there is better oversight and security.
3 1 GPS dual-head GPS fully working : actually, inherited from LOS, only first head is used
3 1 System apps display of the timer does not work anymore “It is a known problem discussed at github.”
3 1 System apps Notifications of the calendar don’t come in time
3 1 System apps Notifications of birthdays stored in Contacts apparently don’t exist at all.
3 1 encryption a way to encrypt the entire device and unlock at boot (to prevent nasty cellebrite style attacks, many of us are forced to keep bootloader unlocked)
3 1 security kernel hardening
3 1 System apps refork all default apps to update to current versions. Do this regularly with every /e/ minor release. Ask upstream if your needs can be accommodated to refork more quickly again. For an incentive: donate a dividend of whatever gets donated to /e/ to default Apps
3 1 Trackers Tracking Free Wallet, as in IOS, for documents. (no crypto wallet, there are already plenty of it)
3 1 e cloud Nextcloud Hub: Kinda more choices with the awesome apps from Nextcloud. On the one hand for teamwork apps like Circles, Mindmaps and Collectives would already be very useful. The ability to invite people to a virtual workspace would be great.
3 1 push Google-free push notifications
3 1 battery a way to set the maximum charge level would be very nice
2 1 Easy Installer Better Easy Installer compatibility
2 1 Mobile Networks Resource of what phones work on what networks [LIST] Carriers that work or do not work with /e/OS country-wise
2 1 e cloud Simplify folder view at /e/ cloud,
2 1 App store I think (but may be wrong) maintaining such a store fully and daily up to date is a bigger amount of work than the e-staff can really do
2 1 App store I first ‘uninstall’ e-apps, then use F-Droid for a few nomber of added apps and Aurora front-end just in Shelter (two apps only).
2 1 parental A parental control tool. Lock the system in a way that installation of any apps via APK or any store app
2 1 MicroG will microG ever be able to bypass Google’s various (and upcoming attempts) to block apps by means what they name security checks
2 1 encryption select which apps to encrypt might not be possible in e “And some features are only possible in nexus phones because of its special security chip”
2 1 System apps Translator app like Google Translator.
2 1 System apps Integrated app like Shelter to manage private and work space
2 1 System apps Cleanup functionality to remove older data from phone.
2 1 System apps Enhanced keyboard with swipe functionality, multi language support for word suggestions, speech to text, etc.
2 2 System apps QR Scanner in Default Camera app.
1 1 Tasks Working tasks without workaround with Dav5X opentasks, Immortality
1 1 System apps More regular updates of the system apps from their upstream.
1 1 GUI After an SD card is inserted into the phone for the first time, the option to set it up as external/portable storage should be the first option offered, not the second.
1 1 App store The ability to delete default apps permanently and not let them update at all. If I have to use dev options, it is not good enough. Deleting default apps should be as easy as removing them from the homescreen :slightly_smiling_face: No standard functionality should be hidden for regular users. Uninstall default apps - #29 by AnotherElk
1 1 gui different ringtones for the 2 SIM cards
0 1 MicroG Troubleshoot MicroG and Rooted Device Reports
0 1 unofficial builds UNOFFICIAL easy-installer BUILDS
0 1 unofficial builds OTA updates for unofficial builds
0 1 customisation The bar for users to customise /e/ in many ways (including proprietary cameras) is lowered. An example of the flexible learning opportunity of this edition is that, at worst, a factory reset undoes mistakes and the user can restore /e/ as we know and love.
0 1 VoWiFi Stable VoWiFi functionality
0 1 VoLTE VoLTE for supported phones
15 Likes

I tried to format the comments into bullet points inside each table so they are easier to read but could not get it to work, if anyone has suggestions let me knoe and I will tidy it up.

2 Likes

It’s easier using a MarkDown table generator, for example : https://www.tablesgenerator.com/markdown_tables.

I didn’t find a simple solution for list within table cell, however you can use HTML <br> and some self-made list indicators.

For example :

| Line | Post | Category  | Wish                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              | Possible solution |
|------|------|-----------|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------|
| 32   | 8    | App Store | * Better app store many apps are out of date or impossible to find. <br>* The possibility to see in /e/ Apps which apps are installed. <br>* Update history: somewhere in Apps should be a place where is indicated what apps have,been updated when. <br>* When searching for apps, in every search query there,should be an indicator highlighting FOSS apps (at least optional). <br> * Make sure that applications such as Firefox or Signal are considered by Apps,as Open Source applications as well (for now Apps only recognizes those,coming from the F-Droid repository as OSS. <br> * ... |                   |

Gives :

Line Post Category Wish Possible solution
32 8 App Store * Better app store many apps are out of date or impossible to find.
* The possibility to see in /e/ Apps which apps are installed.
* Update history: somewhere in Apps should be a place where is indicated what apps have,been updated when.
* When searching for apps, in every search query there,should be an indicator highlighting FOSS apps (at least optional).
* Make sure that applications such as Firefox or Signal are considered by Apps,as Open Source applications as well (for now Apps only recognizes those,coming from the F-Droid repository as OSS.
* …

You can also use a mix with HTML lists, but that will need more work :

| Line | Post | Category  | Wish                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              | Possible solution |
|------|------|-----------|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------|
| 32   | 8    | App Store | <ol><li>Better app store many apps are out of date or impossible to find.</li><li>The possibility to see in /e/ Apps which apps are installed.</li><li>Update history: somewhere in Apps should be a place where is indicated what apps have,been updated when. </li><li>When searching for apps, in every search query there,should be an indicator highlighting FOSS apps (at least optional). </li><li>Make sure that applications such as Firefox or Signal are considered by Apps,as Open Source applications as well (for now Apps only recognizes those,coming from the F-Droid repository as OSS.</li><li> ...</li></ol>|                   |

Gives :

32 8 App Store
  1. Better app store many apps are out of date or impossible to find.
  3. Update history: somewhere in Apps should be a place where is indicated what apps have,been updated when.
  4. When searching for apps, in every search query there,should be an indicator highlighting FOSS apps (at least optional).
  5. Make sure that applications such as Firefox or Signal are considered by Apps,as Open Source applications as well (for now Apps only recognizes those,coming from the F-Droid repository as OSS.

Or pure HTML (even more work) :

<table border="1">
<thead>
  <tr>
    <th>Line</th>
    <th>Post</th>
    <th>Category</th>
    <th>Wish</th>
    <th>Possible solution</th>
  </tr>
</thead>
<tbody>
  <tr>
    <td>32</td>
    <td>8</td>
    <td>App Store</td>
    <td><ol><li>Better app store many apps are out of date or impossible to find.</li><li>The possibility to see in /e/ Apps which apps are installed.</li><li>Update history: somewhere in Apps should be a place where is indicated what apps have,been updated when. </li><li>When searching for apps, in every search query there,should be an indicator highlighting FOSS apps (at least optional). </li><li>Make sure that applications such as Firefox or Signal are considered by Apps,as Open Source applications as well (for now Apps only recognizes those,coming from the F-Droid repository as OSS.</li><li> ...</li></ol></td>
    <td></td>
  </tr>
</tbody>
</table>

Gives :

32 8 App Store
  1. Better app store many apps are out of date or impossible to find.
  3. Update history: somewhere in Apps should be a place where is indicated what apps have,been updated when.
  4. When searching for apps, in every search query there,should be an indicator highlighting FOSS apps (at least optional).
  5. Make sure that applications such as Firefox or Signal are considered by Apps,as Open Source applications as well (for now Apps only recognizes those,coming from the F-Droid repository as OSS.
  6. ...
1 Like

Improved ability to share photos, videos and contacts via Message. Currently sharing photos fails randomly, videos are shared in severely low-res and vcards can’t be shared from contacts at all.

Thanks @smu44 cleaned it up with lists on the longer comments.

1 Like

Contacts can be shared via sms

How? In contacts > share, after a brief delay, the message “Direct share not available” appears and only mail apps are available to select.

1 Like

Directly from SMS screen. After either the recipient or a number is selected, there is a “+” clickable icon on the bottom right which allows to send contacts, MMS and the like

Let us talk about the firewall. The eos is about privacy. Blocking apps partially or completely is an essential measure to enhance privacy which cannot be handled by permission settings alone. So the firewall is not about blocking open listening ports on Android because there is in general no need for this. It is about preventing unwanted data drainage. - To be honest - to adjust the firewall settings is a challenge and should be placed under something like a network security center and should be deactiveted by default. The good AFWall+ for example is a system app. I do not want to root my device and lower my security in order to install AFWall+. And why should we use a VPN firewall when AFWall+ has some advantage over the VPN firewall - see stackoverflow discussion.

Where is my freedom when the developer tools are installed on the smartphone? Does the normal everyday user needs the developer tools - something like “simulate secondary display”? No. Do I complain about it and see my freedom restricted? No. - Once again firewall can be deacticated and even hidden like the developer tools.

3 Likes

@Skidrow I think is referring to your File folder structure available through the web interface. I don’t see a corresponding folder on the phone OS…

I’ve been using an S9 in the U. S. on TMobile since April, and it’s been very frustrating. I hoped and expected that /e/ would be user friendly enough that a non-technical person like me could use it like I would an Android or Apple device. Many features that I took for granted on my past phones don’t work correctly, reliably, or often at all. Like: Bluetooth, mp3 downloads, GPS/Magic Earth default navigation app, VoLTE, Wi-Fi calling, syncing between app and pc versions of OneNote, finding decent apps, adding contacts, etc. Maybe these are very simple issues for most of the people reading this or using /e/, but I didn’t buy a pre-loaded phone (that I did check was compatible with my carrier) expecting to have to work on it myself. As I read through the comments on this thread, I understand maybe 20% of the jargon and “explanations”. I don’t have the expertise to take my phone’s OS apart and troubleshoot it, nor do I have the time or desire to get it. I bought the phone because I expected it to offer both privacy and functionality. Now, with VoLTE exclusivity looming and my phone unable to use it, it looks like I’ll soon have an expensive European paperweight instead of a phone.

So, my wish is: offer pre-loaded /e/ phones that work well out of the box for people like me.

2 Likes

While every phone with every OS can have or develop every possible issue potentially, the combination of the trouble you list sounds ominous, and you are right that this is not what to expect from a pre-installed phone.

With a pre-installed phone you get direct support by the e foundation. Did you contact them? What did they say?

Samsung and the USA carrier issues were probably not anticipated in April.

As you imply, the Samsung is still highly desirable in Europe; at the moment it sounds as if a Teracube - /e/ community is a better choice in USA, but they are not freely available.

If a better USA alternative were freely available, I wonder if /e/solutions would consider recycling your device.

As @AnotherElk says, I hope that you have at least been in touch with support@e.email for some help with some of these issues.

Establish some kind of “cross collaboration” with other LOS-based Android distros, in order to increase supported devices and features:

EDIT:
…sorry, forgot to mention that an Android-box \e\ release would be great:

Hope that inspires !

1 Like

:open_mouth:
Why should the others do that?
The only thing they get is to loose their advantages to be free.
Should they implement the /e/ system app forks? :joy:
Anyhow, it could only get worth for them

How does “collaboration” give rise to any of the things you suggest?

3 Likes