Please rename /e/ to something pronounceable & searchable

Personally, I don’t care if the thing is called /e/ or whatever. I am happy that it is working pretty well. But as /e/ is going public as operating system on Fairphone 3 from next week onwards it is really a pity that this is happening with a temporary name.

5 Likes

I like the name Electron. It reminds me of Proton Technologies who make ProtonMail, ProtonCalendar, ProtonDrive etc. They’re a privacy-focused organisation who make open source encrypted services that we could even build into our OS.

If we can’t use that then maybe we could use Fair OS, since our partnership with Fairphone.

1 Like

Ease ? Ease os ? Easeos ? Easos ?

What about “PrivateOS”?

When I saw e-android in a recent subject line I thought hmm, how about eDroid (kind of like crDroid). Simple but not common. Visually I guess it could be stylized as /e/Droid.
Searched the web and only got one hit with a similar name. Some auto-trading thing called E.D.R.O.I.D. EA Forex Robot.

J’ai remarqué que les noms d’éléments chimiques (chromium, proton, iridium) sont populaires en informatique. Dans le même esprit, electron me plaît bien.
Sinon il y aurait peut-être une piste avec les noms des grands nombres:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nom_des_grands_nombres

I noticed that the names of chemical elements (chromium, proton, iridium) are popular in computer science. In the same spirit, I like electron well.
Otherwise there might be a track with the names of the big numbers.

1 Like

J’ajoute ma pierre à l’édifice.
Pour plusieurs raisons, j’aime bien /egloo/ (prononcé iglou) :

• Ce nom est “libre” (le nom est seulement utilisé par une entreprise qui fait des chauffages un peu nul)
  • Il conserve la parenté avec /e/ en en conservant tous ses caractères
  • Il est facile à rechercher sur le web
  • C’est, presque, un anagramme de google
  • Cela signifie maison en inuit
  • Oralement, il est universellement connu

I’m adding my stone to the edifice.
For several reasons, I like /egloo/ (pronounced igloo) :

• This name is “free” (the name is only used by a company that makes heaters that suck)
  • It retains the relationship with /e/ by keeping all its characters.
  • It’s easy to search the web
  • It’s almost an anagram of google
  • It means house in Inuit
  • Orally, it is universally known

Translated with deepl

7 Likes

Vote 4 eOs

20 chars 20 chars

Endroid
or
Frenchdroid

Yeah, other people liked that, too, for their project. Earlier.

Well eOs vs iOS, with Blisslauncher… :confused:

EOS (Team EOS) is the name of a ROM that was around for a long time, since KitKat, JellyBean, or earlier.
On my LG G3 I used a Lollipop or Marshmallow EOS ROM. Still have the wallpapers in my swag archive. I vaguely remember the Fling navigation being there before the Dev called it quits and moved over to Dirty Unicorns.

Then there’s also the supercomputing related EOS.

Those initials have too much of a history and footprint. Just do a search. The name should not be so common unless used with other words or something.

Yes, also EOS Imaging is a company in the medical sector, traded on the stock exchange.

The longer you wait with the renaming, the harder it gets!

BestOperatingSystem = BOS

Anybody suggest Lin/e/ag/e/OS?

Dude … The point is to make it easier to search

5 Likes

I seem to have read that the name has been already choosed and registered

1 Like

What is the name? :smile:

1 Like
2 Likes

The Post was created in December 2018, I don’t think that the law requires the Team to wait 1.5 years to announce the new Name. In the roadmap for 2020 the name issue still is a bullet point. I would figure that the hunt is still on!

1 Like