RCS Messages on /e/OS

Has anyone used RCS messaging on /e/os or is it even possible?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like
2 Likes

I saw that and responded to it, and it gave me the impression that RCS isn’t enabled in /e/os. And then I saw this other thread that talks about an /e/ user trying to figure out how to disable RCS using /e/ so I’m trying to find out if it is possible or maybe a phone by phone type thing.

2 Likes

@Dave1 and all,
As my OP which you reference didn’t bring any useful pointers (or even replies) I chose to follow this path since then:

• Somewhere along the line of trying to find anything useful in various forums etc., I came upon a post saying (this here is my approximate rendition of the content…I simply cannot recall how and when and where I found this :slight_smile: : “don’t worry, GSam sometimes reports RCSPhone instead of /e/system by mistake”.
  • I thereupon unfroze (via SDMaid) RCSPhone and indeed, as I observed over time, that’s exactly what happened/happens.
  • Whenever RCSPhone appeared among the “app suckers” (always, though randomly, after reboots), no dysfunctions in the OS or the phone’s useability at all.

That said, I still have not the slightest idea what exactly RCSPhone is or does (which is related to - but how? - , yet something different from, RCS Messenger). And: I have found that the app Simple SMS Messenger [by SimpleMobileTools] works flawlessly for me in /e/OS as the SMS default app.

End of report from simple practical experience.
best
ck

2 Likes

Rich communication services is a protocol between both mobile operators and phones. The overall aim of RCS is for it to eventually replace SMS and MMS messaging. It’s provides end-to-end encryption for standard SMS and MMS.

Unfortunately, it is a Google service and uses Google servers to relay all the SMS and MMS being sent and received, but it does provided a layer of security for text messages similar to iMessage.

2 Likes