ROM FLASHING: Know all about it

Q: What does flashing a ROM mean?

A:Flashing an Android Smartphone means loading a different Operating System on the phone from the version that was installed by the manufacturer.

Q: Is flashing an /e/ ROM different from flashing a Cyanogenmod or Lineage or LineageOS4MicroG ROM?

A: The process of flashing the ROM is the same. The ROM’s and what they contain as far as applications is different.

Q: Does flashing void my device warranty?

A:Yes. In most cases, flashing or Rooting voids the device warranty. There are exceptions to this with some vendors like Fairphone (OnePlus?) where the warranty is not voided.

Q: Can I revert to Stock ROM after using /e/ ROM?

A:Yes you can re install the Stock ROM on your device and lock the bootloader to restore your phone to its ‘original’ state.

Q: What is the difference between Stock ROM and Custom ROM?

A: The Original Operating System that comes with your smartphone is also called the stock ROM. This ROM usually gets updated OTA (Over The Air). A Custom ROM uses a modified code base. For e.g. the Android Stock ROM on the MiA Tissot uses the

Q: Are there any tools to flash /e/ ROM on my device?

A: At the time of writing the tool is under development. You can use Fastboot and TWRP which are tools downloadable from the net to flash /e/ ROM on your device.

Q: What is Fastboot?

A: Fastboot is a diagnostic and engineering protocol that you can boot your Android device into. While in fastboot, you can modify the file system images from a computer over a USB connection

Q: What is TWRP?

A:TWRP is a custom recovery for Android devices.

Q: What is Android recovery?

A:In Android, recovery refers to the dedicated, bootable partition that has the recovery console installed. A combination of key presses (or instructions from a command line) will boot your phone to recovery, where you can find tools to help repair (recover) your installation as well as install official OS updates.

Q:Are there any risks that I should be aware of before flashing a custom ROM on my phone?

A: Yes. As mentioned above your warranty is voided by flashing a custom ROM on some phones. There are standard ROM flashing techniques available across the world but even then there is a possibility that the process may ‘brick’ your phone.

Q: What do you mean ‘Brick’ my phone

A: A ‘bricked’ phone is an UN-usable phone. A phone rendered in operable due to a process of changing the default Operating system like flashing a custom ROM.

Q: Does this ‘bricking’ happen frequently?

A: No. It is rare and happens when a device is not properly flashed. When a flashing technique was not correctly applied.

Q: How do I know if the H/e/ro will flash my device correctly / properly?

A: This will depend on the H/e/ro’s experience. Please note if you are not sure do not go ahead with the process.

Q: Does /e/ provide tools for flashing phones?

A: We are developing tools which would be shared with all once the development and testing is complete. These tools will automate the ROM flashing process. We do not have an ETA as to when the development of these tools will be complete. Once the development is complete we shall announce their availability on our website / forum & telegram channels. In the meantime, we provide all needed documentation to install /e/ on smart-phones.

Q: Are there any other risks I should be aware about?

A: Yes. During the flashing process the data on the phone will be accessible to the H/e/ro. Please ensure you have deleted all personal data from your phone before you share it with anyone to be flashed.

Q: Should I take a backup before I flash my phone?

A: Yes. It is highly recommended that you take a backup of your phone before you give it to be flashed.

Q: Are the H/e/ro’s employees of /e/ and is the Community activity / meet-up sponsored by /e/ ?

A: No. The H/e/ro’s are not /e/ employees. The meet-ups are not sponsored by /e/. They are user run voluntary activities, with support from /e/.

Additional Reference:

a. Check the [HOWTO]’s for more detailed information here
b. Rooting and applicable laws. Read from wikipedia
c. Warranty voiding on Smart-phones read

1 Like