Samsung SM-G930U

I noticed that the SM-G930U (Galaxy S7 unlocked) is not supported. Is there any technical reason the os cannot be installed on this phone? My provider is Cricket, if that makes any difference.

The S7 came with 2 different processors. The supported model uses the Exynos processor. The other models use a Snapdragon.

Ok then. I can just swap phones with my mother. She bought an S7 Edge while traveling in the UK. I managed to root it, so we could switch it to a US provider. I believe that one contains an Exynos processor. Can you confirm that?
BTW, it is possible to root a Snapdragon S7, if that is an issue for you.

How can you tell which processor a particular S7 has? I was also hoping to install on an SM-G930U.

I think you can tell by which market a phone was sold in, but I donā€™t have a list.

Hello there,
Iā€™m having the same issue, I bought a Samsung S7 from amazon, so I could try your system on it
but I was faced with the fact that it ainā€™t supported
is thereā€™s any chance youā€™ll add support to it
or shall I sell that phone ?

Not supported Samsung Galaxy S7 (USA) models are:

• SM-G930 A (AT&T, Cricket)
  • SM-G930 P (Sprint, Boost, Virgin Mobile)
  • SM-G930 V (Verizon)
  • SM-G930 T (T-Mobile, Metro PCS)
  • SM-G930 R (US Cellular)
  • SM-G930 U (Unlock model)

USA-Models are with Chipset Qualcomm MSM8996 Snapdragon 820. /e/ OS supports only Chipset with Samsung Exynos 8890 Octa.

Tip: Exchange your device or better sell it.

1 Like

Hi @Nameless
Welcome to /e/land
I think that your phone bootloader sadly cannot be unlocked

Maybe some of American galaxy note2T, note3V/T/U, note4U, or s5T/V can but I am not 100% sure (some s3 At&T models with emmc15can, but with emmc11 cannot, and some Verizon model can,).
LOOK VERY CAREFULLY if the bootloader can be unlocked and if the model is supported
Better found a global model Samsung or another brand.

Community List

Official List

Official devices specifications

LineageOS List

Added :

([HOWTO] Install /e/ on a Samsung smartphone with Windows easily)

(Install latest /e/OS ROM on your OnePlus 5 aka. cheeseburger using GNU/Linux)
(replace fastboot-command by heimdall-command for the Samsung)

1 Like

hello there, thanks for the fast reply,
I see and I was wondering why canā€™t I work the instructions

I will see if itā€™s possible to sell it on the internet
have a nice day

Hello Piero,
thank you for the warm welcome :kissing_smiling_eyes:

well Iā€™m not used to unlock my phone so I didnā€™t pay attention to this kind of details
:expressionless: why Americans do makes things more complicated
Iā€™m in Europe at the moment Iā€™ll go buy another one form the shops hopefully itā€™ll work
see you soon when I get the proper equipment
My regards

I just bought a Galaxy S7 especially to install /e/ on it as I understood that it was one of the best supported phone. Now I received it and launch the installer, and it says to me that SM-G930U isnā€™t supported by /e/ o_O

I bought it in France on the FNAC website. If U really means Unlocked, I see no reason why /e/ couldnā€™t work on it. Is someone already working on the port? Iā€™m really disappointed as I bought this device especially for /e/ā€¦ It should probably be precised more clearly on the supported devices list that only some of them are supported.

U is for SIM network unlocked,
Not for bootloader unlockable.

FNAC is just a selling plateforme for external dealers.

It is mentioned on the device page: https://doc.e.foundation/devices/herolte/

I think that U is for US SIM-unlocked model, so it is not really relevant to sell it on Fnac (but maybe it was clearly mentioned?).
One has to be very careful with this: I bought a refurbished S7 (on BackMarket) and I received twice a US model from resellers based in France or Europe. I could send them back without any problem, because the model mentioned on the page from which I bought them was the F model (and they finally send me one).

If it was not clear on the Fnac website, maybe they can accept to replace it or to give you a refund, as you wanted a Europe/International/Non-US model? Also check which processor was mentioned on the page.

On this page it is mentioned that SM-G930 F FD S K L and SM-G930 W8 will be supported.

There are US (with Qualcomm Snapdragon SoC) and EU (Samsung Exynos) models of the Samsung Galaxy S7 ā€œherolteā€. Other (USA) models are not supported.

Other models are especially G930A (AT&T, Cricket); G930P (Sprint, Boost, Virgin Mobile); G930V (Verizon); G930T (T-Mobile, Metro PCS); G930R (US Cellular); G930U (Unlock model).