SD card issue, need a format, losing my data on it

Hi guys,

I have a Samsung S7 which only has 32 go and I have put a 128 go SD card in it in order to store photos and Spotify downloads.
Firstly, as the SD card needs some time to be recognized when the phone started, my Spotify downloads were automatically switched to the main storage. Besides, it’s been some time that the SD card were cut in two partitions because of Spotify. Today, my phone rebooted unexpectedly when I was using it, and when it booted, I had a notification that told me that the SD card had an issue and that I need to reformat it. I have photos on it, and I don’t know how to take them back. I can’t have access to the SD card from the file explorer.
Should I add that I made yesterday the update from android 10 to 11 ?

What can I do ?
Thank you by advance,

Vink

Have you tried readout via PC or linux machine?
Maybe with some file-restore-tool? (Can’t recommend one myself but maybe someone else can?)

1 Like

Can you eject it, remove it, use a reader and PC to take the data off it. Is it still readable there?

If you have Linux Gparted would be fine to format it to FAT 32 which cards usually come with.

SD cards have a life and do not especially like being formatted, so I would be a bit dubious about relying on a card that had been formatted more than about 3 times.

3 Likes

Hi guys,

As you both advised, I ejected it and read it via my pc. I’ve been able to extract the files from it. More fear than pain. But I’m still worried about Spotify. I’m pretty sure it’s the main cause of it. I don’t want to have my downloads on the main storage, but the SD card takes some time to be recognize… Is there a way to make it recognized instantly, or to make the downloads stay on it ??

Thanks for your quick help !

2 Likes

Do you have Linux ? Have you inspected the card with Gparted ? If no to both, do you have experience of booting a distro from CD ? If you have no Linux, Gparted is available as an .iso. https://gparted.org/livecd.php.

The reason I ask is to try to see if the card is already in less than perfect condition as measured by a standard Linux system.

I guess you already did, but it is probably also worth checking if the micro SD card specification is within that specified for the phone.

I guess it is this card: Can't use my SD card as I would like to. Often it is advised to format a card on the device; however to undo the effect of being in adoptable storage when I had that issue I wanted to format it on a PC, even allowing for the fact that I might reduce its overall length of life. I also ensured that the phone worked fine with a different card before returning to the newly formatted card.

As this 128G card may be quite valuable I might buy a small best quality card to see that the phone behaves fine with that for a while.

Edit, I notice you describe the card as 128G but also 150G elsewhere. If the card has any indications of being ambiguous about its actual size I would treat this as being a defect.

Further if you have evidence that the card cannot keep up with good performance (I think you have previously observed poor photo results) it may be the wrong card for your intended use. This could be investigated further with a new smaller “best” SD card.

Generally if you just put the card into a windows machine it will check the card if it sees a problem with the card it will ask you to scan and repair it, this may fix your card

1 Like

I am sorry but your SD card has been certainly corrupted by the upgrade you have done on your S7 because you were using your SD Card as Adaptable Storage.
There was a warning when you were about to start the upgrade saying:
“… if you have been using Adoptable Storage, upgrading will lead to data loss and SD Card corruption, including internal storage. …”
Chocobo had the same problem as you:
I should have been more careful….
I am happy you could read your SD Card on your PC.

1 Like

Ejecting the card and reading it on a computer (which was done here) wouldn’t work in this case, or is this different on an S7 (which would mean the card is not encrypted together with Internal Storage)?

1 Like

I probably said something wrong, my SD is definitely 128go, it doesn’t have storage trouble.

This problem is solved, I’m just worrying about a corrupted version in the future due to Spotify. I’m using my SD card as an external storage.
If I understand correctly the problem, each boot, the phone opens the apps that were opened when it was turned off. So, as the SD card takes some time to be recognized, the app doesn’t find it and so change the directory. I had problems like this one by opening too quickly my camera after a boot (my photos are stored on the SD card). So if there is a way to make it recognized instantly or to avoid that the apps open automatically, that would solve the problem, I guess.

Actually, I didn’t format via the computer. I read it, copied the files, format it via my phone, then put the files on the computer on it. Using this way, I’m able to keep my photos and their metadata, like the day it has been shot.

If I correctly understand your warning, I should eject my SD card before an update ? Even if it is used as an external storage ?

1 Like

Great … but you are still asking about unusual behavoiurs you are seeing.

I suggest you try one of my suggestions and buy a small Class 10 SD card, install it externally and experience your phone working at its best without an SD card which sounds from your reports to be corrupted.

Edit Worst case internal storage is corrupted in some way. If the above suggestion were to make no improvement I guess you might still have to consider that internal storage was corrupted. In your position I would keep to at least weekly backups just in case some bigger problem should arise.

• (Re speed of an SD card, I found no evidence that my 2016 Samsung could truly use the speeds promised by modern cards specified with a number within a capital U, nor an A1 or A2 spec. so I buy a card with 10 within capital C only.)
1 Like

You had to eject your SD card before this specific upgrade on S7 (android 10 to 11). It is not necessary for normal OTA update.

Please share the base of this information!

So far I have updated 4x S7edge, all with different type and sizes of SD cards used as external storage. One just now:

Again without any problems.

1 Like

Yes, same with my phone: no issue during upgrade (card still inserted).

But I think @Denis2ni 's recommendation refers rather to the adoptable storage-SD.
Although I wonder if it would have helped during upgrade as the popup-warning does not mention this “workaround”, it does not discern sub-scenarios of adoptable storage-SD but explitely also mentions possible damage to internal storage.

Actually, since the update i’m experiencing a lot of issues, and the sd card is only one of them. It was working well before. I think I should just renounce to download my spotify music. If someone has some experience with spotify downloads stored in the sd, i’d be glad if you could share your experience.
I inserted the sd card in the computer when it was corrupted and it said that the device was having a problem. Now it doesn’t.
I got this sd in flea market, so it may have a problem, but the box was brand new… Never opened, so don’t know. It’s a kingston one. I should check it, but my phone might be the source too. It’s a very difficult one :grimacing::sweat_smile:.

One very low level test not mentioned already is to boot and run the phone with no SD card inserted. While inconvenient, perhaps try running the phone in normal use for 4 hours and report the behaviour may give some clues.

I would not rely on the phone to report all possible shortcomings in an SD card. When you saw the “corrupted” message it was likely generic imho.

Indeed it might, but the art of testing is to test and rule out easiest things first.

2 Likes

Oh so so so true! People and my 6 year old daughter have asked me, why do you have so many phones… I know how to answer, but you just gave me the perfect short form!

Plus, all phones have a card in them, if they can hold one.
(I also have some 256GB cards)

Cheers to “The arts of testing”

Never used, but does the app maybe allow you to add folders to the library, so the main part uses the internal and as a 2nd source you add a folder from the external SD?
Just a thought, I used to do this in VLC

Hello,
This morning I had the same problem, S7 reboot and request to format the 64 GB card. I’ve had an S7 with the latest version 1.20 of E/OS for 1 week and it was working correctly until now.
I installed the card in a PC running Linux and was able to recover the data on it. I reformatted the card on the PC in Exfat (not a quick format) and copied the data back onto it. I copied the data onto the card and put it back into the phone. Everything’s back to normal, and I hope that this isn’t a bug in version 1.20 and that it doesn’t happen again.

No, it does not seem to be possible unfortunately. It automatically finds the directory…

Okay, phew ! Relived to see that I’m not the only one experiencing that issue. I guess that’s a specific problem due to the update or the phone… When I’ll have time, I’ll check the sd card with gparted.
Meanwhile, I would really like to know if there is a way to have either the sd card instantly recognised or the apps not opening when booting.

This indicates to me that the SD card is not fully external.