Split Screen/ Multi Tasking Option not present

/e/os Version 1.10s, all the latest updates

The option to use 2 apps in split screen mode seems to be missing for all apps. Also switched on “enable non-resizeable in multi window”. No effect.
Am I doing something wrong or is this function not implemented or broken?

Thanks in advance for your help

On FP4, /e/os 1.10 it is there, if I opened at least two Apps…

1 Like

@franzys
Hello,
On my Mi8 (dipper) on 1.11-s(dev), the screen split is also ok. As @Ulix
K.

1 Like

I had a memory that split screen was dropped, confirmed by

Release notes, page 2, e-1.7

Disable long press recent go to split screen (was broken).

On e-1.11-q I do not get split screen by long press recent.

1 Like

Ah, this could be it, even though split screen is now usually activated by long press on the app logo in recent apps.

Maybe it’s only on certain phone brands, it’s a shame.

Thank you for the hint!

Hi.
I’ve got this problem too with a Fairphone 3 running /e/OS version 1.11-s.
As you can see on the picture, the option doesn’t appear on in recent apps options.

The option to allow/disallow screen splitting neither appears in the parameters application.

I don’t have the issue on a Fairphone 3 running 1.11-s-20230511288805-dev-FP3 … [HOWTO] Give complete /e/OS version info easily for support, answers, comparison etc

2 Likes

Here is my complete /e/OS version info :
About phone : FP3 (not “+”)
Android version : 12
/e/ OS version : 1.11-s-20230510288098-stable-FP3

1 Like

@Manoj: Is the split screen feature disabled on stable builds perhaps?

I can’t find a setting for this (emphasis on “I can’t find”, perhaps there is one?).

I remember I previously saw the setting for enabling/disbling the split screen feature in the parameters app. But now, like you, I can’t find it anymore. I searched for it in all parameters (manually or with the search functionality) : i didn’t find it.

Checking with the team and will get back.

It’s working for me…

1.11-s-20230510288098-stable-FP3

2 Likes

A team member was mentioning to try using the middle button (or swipe to middle) press and hold on app icon, and click on split top.

1 Like

@heavenfrog : Does this sound like something you didn’t do?
Sounds to me like this is what we’re doing to get the menu in our screenshots, but please confirm.

I checked if that would work : it doesn’t.
I tried with the middle button (and others) and also with the swipe : the problem is still here. When I press and hold app icon, I only get the “app info” option.

2 Likes

Split screen seems to be working for me on 1.11 ginko/willow if I long press on an app icon in the app switcher.

However, I only get the option for apps that actually support split screen. It’s not grayed out for apps that don’t support that feature, it’s simply missing. I don’t find that very intuitive since it makes the feature even more difficult to discover.

But Browser should support split screen, so if the menu item is missing, that seems like a bug to me.

@nanabanaman This is an insteresting clarification. But I don’t get the option for any app : Browser, Firefox, NewPipe, Magic Earth, … the ones I used in split mode.

I think I didn’t mention that the option disappeared after upgrading with OTA updates from Android 10 to Android 12.

It should depend on devices: on my Xiaomi 8 (dipper - not rooted), it works for the native “browser” as for Bromite e.g.
No difference between the last /e/ versions (1.11, 1.12-beta, 1.12-rc2-s), all devs.

I tested “split screen” option with all my apps on my not rooted Xiaomi Mi8 (1.12-rc2- s dev): native ones, apps directly from github, most from fdroid, few from app lounge.

Only one (KO Reader from fdroid) shows this msg: App does not support split screen. It works for others.