[UNOFFICIAL BUILD] /e/ r Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact (scorpion, z3tc, z3tcw)

Haha, thanks a lot Pete! I read in another topic that you are quitting support on /e/ for Sony. That’s a big loss but fully understandable.

I will wait for your final V1.13-version before I proceed. Nevertheless, the 8" tablet came with Android 4.4, got updated to 5 and 6 by Sony and it is (soon again) running 11 now. With actual security and safety, what more could I ask for?

Now not only LOS but soon /e/OS. What more could I wish for? In this state I’ll be able to (again) use it for 2-3 more years probably. By than the device will be 12 years old. Eat that, Apple :wink:

1 Like

@Infinity you’re in luck. I needed to make a build to validate the ‘How to make builds’ guide I’m writing,so picked on z3tc and z3tcw :slight_smile:

$ md5 e-1.12.3-r-20230705-CUSTOM-z3tc.zip
MD5 (e-1.12.3-r-20230705-CUSTOM-z3tc.zip) = 7e39b585a75450661c5ee6eff855cf73
$ md5 e-1.12.3-r-20230705-CUSTOM-z3tcw.zip
MD5 (e-1.12.3-r-20230705-CUSTOM-z3tcw.zip) = 178040be1722a4406d93b4aa02e2387a

Note that neither build has been tested at all I don’t have time to re-flash and test on my z3tcw

Let’s hope this lot works :slight_smile:

Just one question: is there anything I need to do with this checksum?

When you have downloaded the file from AFH, calculate the checksum of the downloaded file. If the result matches, then the file is the same as the file on AFH, which is the same as the file I uploaded, and the file is therefore not corrupt. If your phone says it is corrupt, then we have a problem :slight_smile:

Just to be sure: the Z3TC is the file for SP621 (with sim), right? And I suppose the “w” in Z3TCW stands for the SP611 (wifi only)???

Checksum for the Z3TC file is corresponding!

Correct

:slight_smile:

Unfortunately also this one leads to a bootloops on my tablet. Like said, will start from scratch soon. Appreciate your help big time, Pete!

@petefoth, do these /e/OS builds work on the SGP621/SGP611 “JP” models?

I’m sorry but I have no idea, and no way of testing or checking

No worries. I’m guessing not, but I’ll keep looking for info.
Thanks!

Hi Pete! Today I was able to reflash stock Android 6.0.1 and after that flash your /e/OS Version of 1.12.3

Wow! Flawlessly! Perfect! It’s fantastic! Never ever expected to have /e/ on this ancient (but still cool, best size ever and kust over 6mm thin) device.

I can also note that sideloading Magisk Stable version 26.1 works ‘out of the box’. Dammit. You nailed it!

THANKS!

2 Likes

@Taurus Dare to have a try …

@petefoth what are differences between z3tc variants

• SGP621 / SGP641 (LTE)
  • SGP611 / SGP612 (wifi)

First I need to find out which one I should buy… or not buy, i.e. if the bootloader is unlockable or not. I don’t know if the JP models are unlockable. :wink:

I’m sorry but I have no idea. I know SGP611 is the WiFi version, and SGP621 is the LTE version (i.e. it has a SIM, and is phone as well as a tablet. I don’t know anything about the other model numbers

Apparently the SGP641 has different 4G bands from the 621, which probably means they’re marketed for different regions.

Expand the Network - Technology section at the top of this GSMarena(.)com spec table to see the bands.

I suppose the SGP612 model, although likely wifi only, could be marketed in a different region as well.

1 Like

I own the SGP621, that’s the SIM-version for Europe. It was definitely sold in Germany and should work on 4G throughout Europe. Other countries I don’t know.

So as used bands are modem dependent, i presume /e/ build should works as well

As long as the bootloader is unlockable. :wink:

1 Like

Still trying to find out if JP tablets have unlockable bootloader, but there seems to be little info on that.

On the up side, I own, and can recommend, M$ Surface Go2 tablet/PC… with Windows nuked and replaced with Linux Mint Cinnamon. :smile:
It works pretty well, though not perfectly, as a tablet, and is a full desktop OS. Very fast, too.

Here are the latest / last builds from me for these devices:

I have flashed the WiFi version on my test device, and it seems to run OK, though there is still no sign of GPS working. Not tested the LTE version at all.

Have fun, and good luck.

If anyone wants to take on the task of making future builds for these devices, details of how to do it are in this post

2 Likes