Updates on upcoming builds

Theoretically, every update you now install over the air will be installed into slot a and you should be able to return to slot b in case the update is broken. But I totally feel you for not being too fond to try it!

1 Like

Does it work that way? Isn’t it necessary to install microG as a system app? An OTA will also most likely wipe that installation, right?

It works, but of course as soon as you get an OTA update, it puts you back into the old version.

Will it be possible to disable the Contact tracing application ?

You do not have to deactivate a Contact Tracing Application. The misunderstanding is probably a result of some shrill forum members trying to stir up fear.

Even if the API is installed, you still have to install an app separately for anything to happen.

Furthermore, /e/ has a nice specialty in store for the paranoid: even the Contact Tracing feature of microG has to be installed separately in the future.

For details see this interview: https://community.e.foundation/t/microg-what-you-need-to-know-a-conversation-with-its-developer-marvin-wissfeld/

8 Likes

Some pictures …

Hello,
I am still digging to find out why OTA update stopped working after my manual update from eOS preinstalled to oreo e-0.12-o-2020093076269-dev-herolte

adb logcat shows this kind of error messages:

11-08 18:35:43.310 4821 4821 W RecoverySystem: !!! REBOOTING TO INSTALL /data/lineageos_updates/e-0.12-o-2020093076269-dev-herolte.zip !!!
11-08 18:35:44.324 5063 5063 I /system/bin/uncrypt: received command: [–update_package=@/cache/recovery/block.map
11-08 18:35:44.324 5063 5063 I /system/bin/uncrypt: --locale=fr-FR
11-08 18:35:44.324 5063 5063 I /system/bin/uncrypt: ] (59)
11-08 18:35:44.327 5063 5063 E /system/bin/uncrypt: failed to set bootloader message: failed to find /misc partition

This is related to these gitlab issues I presume:

This will be a blocking point for people reluctant to use TWRP on a Chritmas gift :slight_smile:

Is there going to be a P-0.12 update on the FP3 stable channel? I am still on 0.11-20200831170821, i.e. from 2½ months ago.

The 0.12 update for stable channel should come this month. It has been drastically delayed due to issues we faced with this update on the dev channel.

4 Likes

Will the stable update include the latest microG version with the exposure notification?

The v0.13 will include the micorG modifications. ETA will be end of month now for stable channel if not later as testing is still not complete.

2 Likes

So there is a stable update to 0.12 AND 0.13 this month?

Is the stable channel to be updated for all devices?

(I got my preinstalled Galaxy S8 just last week and still have to find out about updates and the update cycle of the stable branch (I’ve been using /e/ on Nexus4 and 5x since the end of June and must say I’m very impressed by /e/. It has the clean interface of IOS combined with the flexibility of Android and and the privacy I was looking for.))

Yes when the /e/OS 0.12 will be pushed on the stable branch, it will be for all devices.

Unfortunately I have to ask again because I don’t understand it @Manoj .

-There will be a V0.12 stable release for FP3 this month via OTA.

-The exposure notification is included from V0.13 on, which (for FP3) has to be installed completely new because it is Q. This will also be released this month.

• There will be no v0.12 build for stable release, we will move to v0.13 directly.
  • Exposure Notification API will be released on all Android version. Which mean FP3 Pie users will also get it.
6 Likes

Dear Manoj,

Last month, I have tried to update my FP from V0.11 to V0.12 and it crashed my FP. Thanks to the community I have been able to restart the FP on v0.11 by changing to slot b.
Today, I tried to update on v0.13 and got exactly the same issue as with v0.12, it crashed again. By changing the slot as with v0.12, it restarted again.

However, I don’t undestand why this always crash with update, is there something I do wrong (basically I just click on install update on the FP parameter menu)

Thank you for your help

Best

Same here, I’m on 0.11-2020082870302 and try to update to 0.13-p-2020120889008-dev

But like 0.12, it doesn’t work.

Are you on the stable release (did you buy FP3 with e/OS) or like me on the dev release (self-installed)?

I have a self-installed version and don’t understand why it fails!