Week 01, 2022: Development and Testing Updates

:loudspeaker: Starting the new year wishing all of our users a happy, safe and prosperous 2022 !!

v 0.21

• v0.21 milestone
  • To include the Nougat and R builds which were not released as part of v0.20
  • Issues will be added to this list in the coming weeks

v0.20

OS OTA Upgrade of Samsung S9 / S9+ stable

• Oreo to Q OTA upgrade on stable channel to be released for users by last week of Jan 2022 along with v0.21

Development Tasks

A summary of issues dev team is investigating or working on

• Frequent crashes of Bliss launcher
  • Refactoring eDrive
  • Updates to microG Application
  • Contact groups not syncing with eDrive
  • Update MagicEarth app
  • Update Mail App

This is a tiny subset of what the team is working on. Some of the tasks are still under investigation and need to move to the development and testing phase.

• Another task which we will be taking up is updating the Documentation site.
  • Updates are also planned to the /e/ website

/e/ R rollout

• Closing the first set of releases as planned in the Release plan
    • Upgraded : 81 existing devices
    • Added : 61 New devices to the supported list

We were not able to release 9 devices as most of the team members were on vacation in the last two weeks.

Builds that Failed

• Xiaomi POCO F3 / Redmi K40 / Mi 11X (alioth )
  • Google Pixel 4a 5G (bramble )
  • Google Pixel 4 XL (coral )
  • Google Pixel 4 (flame )
  • OnePlus 8T (kebab )
  • OnePlus 9 Pro (lemonadep )
  • Google Pixel 5 (redfin )
  • Xiaomi POCO X3 Pro (vayu )

The one device we may have an issue with from this list is bacon. We had multiple partition size errors while build for it

Will update on the progress of the builds :crossed_fingers:

:loudspeaker: For 2022, we will come out with an updated list of devices we plan to upgrade /e/OS on. The list will also have names of new devices we will add support for.

Update 6 Jan

• The release of these devices has been moved forward to mid of Jan. They will be released with v0,21
  • OnePlus One (bacon ) has been removed from this build list. We are having partition size issues building for this device. Will have to decide if we can continue support for Bacon.

This post will be updated through the week

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

18 Likes

Good to read what’s happening, but on these notes could you have 2 sections, developer and user. It will be nice for example to have an idea when V0.20 will be available to Oreo standard users.

5 Likes

Hurray, finally the OTA!

3 Likes

Adding the “delete image” button on the photo camera application, and adding a grid view could make this list even better :wink: It is pretty weird that in order to delete an image I have to go to the files app.

I’m not sure what to make of this – OTA upgrade to R? Only for “S9 / S9+” – does this mean Samsung only? Or for all /e/OS users?

2 Likes

I have clarified it further in the main post. S9/S9+ are Samsung devices. Currently, the stable builds are on Oreo. An OTA upgrade to Q is targeted for release along with v0.21.

4 Likes

Is there a plan for other devices to receive the OTA upgrade to Q/R?

2 Likes

The idea is to start first with the Samsung S9 / 9+. Then try with the other devices we sell on the eShop. The problem is it requires device specific development. This will make it a bit difficult to add across all the supported devices.

7 Likes

Very nice that the OTA upgrade is proceeding!
How can people on the dev branch recieve it? Is there a Tutorial somewhere?

What are the problems with the R build? I have been building an unofficial ROM for lilac and I’m having problems with IMS and modem switcher. If there are currently problems in this area with other R builds then I won’t bother trying to debug my build.

I just have a quick question: is R still in development for my oneplus 5? (Latest R build is from 2021/09/01)

My S9 eshop phone says that there are no updates found (currently I am on 0.19).

As for the email app. Will the update consider an improved integration, say with Thunderbird on a computer ?

At the moment some “dirs” – sent, for example – are completely different from those used by Thunderbird, causing a certain inconvenience since are not synced across phone and computer

Note that you can configure which server/IMAP folder is used for sent messages etc. in Thunderbird and in the /e/OS mail app:

• In Thunderbird, you can right-click on the e-mail account, choose “Settings” and then select “Copies & Folders”. There, you can select which IMAP folder (i.e., which folder on the server) should be used for sent messages etc. See also here in the Mozilla Thunderbird documentation.
  • Similarly, you can open the /e/OS mail app. There, you open the menu with the three dots in the upper right corner. Select “Settings” > “Account settings” > “Folders”, where you can configure which IMAP/server folder is used for sent messages etc. See also the K-9 mail app help here (scroll down to “Archive folder” where the special folder settings are explained)
1 Like

OTA upgrade is a real gamechanger! Good to see some progress - looking forward to the next steps and more devices!

1 Like

The R rollout is nearly complete and so far only some of them have received version 0.19 , and none 0.20 as far as I can tell. Because of problems the builds have been pushed forward so version 0.21 will be the next R release to all supported devices. I think the eta is for the end of the month.

2 Likes

Thunderbird could follow the RFC 6154 Support IMAP LIST SPECIAL-USE :
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=558659
https://support.mozilla.org/fr/kb/configurer-les-dossiers-speciaux-dun-compte-imap (sorry i don’t find it in english)

If i understand well, K9-mail have the same capacity as thunderbird: https://github.com/emersion/hydroxide/issues/41#issuecomment-449370625

I don’t know if the e.mail’s server follow the RFC 6154. If not, i suggest to follow RFC 6154, the user of e.mail will have automatically the good name of folders (sent, trash, etc …) in his native language.

1 Like

The OTA upgrade is for the stable branch of Samsung s9 / 9+ which is still on Oreo. The dev branch is on Q. It would be a simple one click upgrade for the users. We will share a guide in case some users run into issues.

2 Likes

There are some UI related changes which are being implemented on R builds. You can see the list here

R builds have not been released for any of the existing devices. As mentioned in the initial post R will be released in v0.21