Week 16 : 2021: Development and Testing Updates

I installed 0.16-q-20210415110667-dev-star2lte OTA on my Galaxy S9+

First thing I noticed was (like others) root was gone, reinstalled via SIDELOAD Magisk again since DATA is encrypted.

Any way to decrypt DATA? I don’t have a password or a way to get password?

Another observation is that the phone app now has more options like Call Waiting disable which I can disable notification and it doesn’t put call on hold, but I prefer having working call waiting. It also has Call Forwarding menu which was missing. What it doesn’t do is follow the theme (DARK) so it’s white and very obnoxious when everything else is black/dark on my phone.

Hi @petefoth I have seen this issue being raised in a few devices after a OTA release. Any idea why this happens…were you able to check on the z3c …are we missing some files in our build system.

CONFIRMING this same deal on my S9+ with TWRP, I hit cancel re the password and it proceeded perfectly :slight_smile: I was on A10/eOS0.13… now on A10/eOS0.16 :slight_smile: All the apps seem smooth and some nice visual improvements, but as stated by others, the phone and contacts apps are now white on my DARK theme. Over all still a great OS :slight_smile: Thanks to the eOS team!!!

Regards
IT VAULT

I’ve had a quick look in the log file, and the install seems to fail with the exception: java.io.IOException: Setup BCB failed. A quick Google internet search reveals the following post on reddit, which seems to indicate this is something to do with file encryption.
https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/7i16cg/ota_update_with_full_disk_encryption/
My phone is protected with a screen pattern. This may be the problem
(I have updated the issue with this information https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/3014#note_91503)

I have created an MR in the local manifests project which may fix the problem BUT I don’t understand why the build stared to fail when previous builds have succeeded without the need for a manifest. I have spent a long time digging into LineageOS and nothing seems to have changed with either LOS or the code in the z3c device and kernel trees.

My guess is that something has changed in the /e/ gitlab repos and/or the /e/ build infrastructure which has caused some of the files needed on the build to no longer be visible. I know for example that the some repos in the e / devices group have been made private and this is a possible cause. @rhunault may have more information, but I am unable to investigate since I don’t have access to the /e/ build infrastructure or some of the repos which were previously public and are now hidden. This really needs to be investigated by someone from the development team who do have the necessary access. This is a device officially supported by LOS, and until recently, /e/ would build for such devices - locally using Docker, and via the /e/ CI/CD - with no problems. LOS hasn’t changed, so the problem must be with /e/

I will continue to investigate when I have time, by trying to build locally, but investigating takes a lot of time, especially because the recent changes in repo visibility have broken my local and Docker builds: builds which used to work with no problem are now failing during the repo sync operation.

But, even if I can fix my local build, perhaps with more manifests linking to more repos, that doesn’t help explain why or how /e/ have managed to break the build. Over to you guys I am afraid :frowning:

Great news to see /e/ will be ported on Teracube device.

1 Like

I have created issue #3019 to track this problem

[Later] There is a v0.16 release available at https://images.ecloud.global/dev/z3c/ so maybe the failure was a one-off. OTA install over the v0.15 z3c build works with no obvious problems :slight_smile:

Thanks Pete that would be helpful

@mike_from_ireland Do you have any form of encryption or screen lock enabled on your phone? Screen pattern or PIN?

@petefoth I use a pin for the screen lock. I have not knowingly encrypted the phone, so my encryption settings are whatever /e/ does as default.

Thanks

I really must try and find out what that is :wink:

When trying to refresh the Software Update tab I am frequently getting

“The update check failed. Please check your internet connection and try later.”

on my Fairphone 3+. I am currently running /e/OS 0.15-20210317106351. Any idea how I can fix that? Thanks!

OTA Update from v0.15-dev to v0.16-dev was successful on my FP3. (Android 9) :+1:

1 Like

Successfully installed update on s9 plus.
1 thing i notice is that there is an app missing
Anyone know which one?

Weather app has been removed from v0.16

Any way to remove to widget that now fails to update?

Can’t wait for this!

5 Likes

Thanks so much /e/ team!
The update went through smoothly here on Galaxy S8

Well, I skipped e-0.15-q- and installed e-0.16-q-20210415110657 right away via OTA update.

Thank you /e/ Build Team

On Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge:
Upgrade to e-0.16 went well. Had to install manually though, with TWRP in recovery mode, because after trying the presented Install button I had that error ‘Failed to install’.
During the flash there was an error logged 3 times in row (I guess 3 attempts) and it said ‘Cannot find /data directory’ or maybe it was ‘Cannot find /data in ext4 format’. Something like that. But I have not seen any issuue using the phone so far.
Note: I have an sdcard that was made internal (it shows as ‘adopted’). Maybe the error has to do with it?

Does the upgrade with TWRP leave a logfile somewhere, so that I can report the error more precisely?

Greetings!
First, thanks for the efforts!
It happened something strange. A few days ago I used the Updater from the my Fairphone 3+, when the installation finished and restarted said that a problem ocurred and told me to do a factory reset.
This time I used the Ease Installer, everything ok, but now I’m at 0.15q again and the updater doesn’t give me the option to update to 0.16q.

What can I do know? Thanks!