Week 48, 2022: Development and Testing Updates

Releases

v1.6

Upcoming Release notes

As you may remember, in the last couple of updates we had mentioned a Bug cleanup exercise. As part of this, the development team has prioritized the closure of bugs from Gitlab during the months of November and December. The team will be releasing the cleaned up code along with the next 2 build…v1.6 and v1.7

Update: 30 Nov : Given the large number of bugs going into v1.6 and v1.7 (check the links marked v1.6) we may release v1.6 this year instead of delaying it to early next year. That way we will move another chunk of issues into v1.7 with that build coming out early 2023.

v1.5

Release notes

Feedback on v1.5

• Share your feedback and vote on v1.5

/e/OS ‘S’ builds

/e/OS version : v1.5

List of devices that got /e/OS ‘S’

• ‘S’ is a manual update for most users . The exception is the FP4 stable build where the OS upgrade happens OTA.
  • The documentation has been updated to include the links for manually downloading the build.
    • Users are required to sideload the S build.
    • Most devices would require a return to stock before an OS upgrade. This is so that the firmware is updated appropriately.
    • As always take a backup of your data before proceeding.

GSI

v1.5 on Q

• Download here
    • Sources available here

• S and R version of GSI to be planned based on availability of a developer

OS OTA upgrades

Completed

• FP3 Q to R stable
  • OnePlus Nord Q to R (stable build)
  • Samsung s7/ s7+
  • Samsung s9 / s9+

Upcoming

• Samsung s8 /s8+ ( with v1.6 :crossed_fingers: )
    • Pie to S OTA upgrade
    • 2 critical issues were detected with the build. There is an issue around this but it marked internal by the team. Unless resolved we will not be able to release this build. For now the team is working on resolving these issues.
    • ETA : To be announced :crossed_fingers:
What we mean by OS OTA upgrade - Click to expand or close

:nerd_face: OTA OS upgrade means the upgrade to a higher OS level. Updates will be delivered Over the Air (OTA). The OTA upgrades are available on official builds only. Users who have unofficial or custom-builds will not get the notification to install the upgrade build. They will have to manually download and flash the Q builds once they are released, which may result in data loss.

Unofficial ROM build refer the section ROM Builders - Unofficial and Custom

Recent Documentation updates
ROM Builders - Unofficial and Custom
  • Pleas update your Docker image to tne latest image we released
  • Those building using traditional repo sync method refer android_prebuilts_prebuiltapks_lfs
  • You will have to install git-lfs (sudo apt-get install git-lfs)
  • After completing a repo sync, you will have to run repo forall -c ‘git lfs pull’

:nerd_face: Reason behind these changes:

Due to the large size of the android_prebuilts_prebuiltapks we have switched to using LFS, and now you will need to refer to android_prebuilts_prebuiltapks_lfs

End of official support for Nougat, Oreo and Pie 😞 For Pie, Oreo and Nougat the official /e/OS support draws to a close.

Reasons for dropping official support are:

• newly released applications like App Lounge, Advanced privacy code has not been customized for these OS versions.
  • lack of dedicated ROM Maintainers
  • no support upstream (Lineage dropped support for Pie sometime back)
  • device trees will continue to exist in the Gitlab and users with build skills can create custom ROMs on these builds
  • Security patches and vendor patches for the Pie, Oreo and Nougat code will be updated based on availability.

:nerd_face: Google stops security patches for OS after some time. Similarly, Vendors drop support for older models when they release newer models in the market. Then it depends on developers from various communities to backport the patches.

Device and Vendor specific Announcements

:loudspeaker: Gigaset GS290

• We have stopped the sales of the Gigaset GS290 on the eSolutionsShop as the vendor has stopped production of the device. We will continue support for existing users.

:loudspeaker: Message being shared on the request of our vendor partners

• Vendors whose phones we sell on our eSolutions Store do not directly sell /e/OS flashed devices.
  • The vendors only sell their devices with their own stock ROM.
  • To get pre flashed /e/OS phones, you have to purchase them from the eSolutions Shop.

:loudspeaker: /e/OS Pre flashed device sales

• We sell directly in EU, US, Canada.
  • Find details of what devices are available in which countries here eSolutions Shop.
  • In Australia we do not sell directly. You can purchase preflashed /e/OS devices from this site

:loudspeaker: Murena One released
A phone from Murena with /e/OS installed has been launched and is available for purchase. Check the device specs here

Expect more device releases from Murena in future :grinning:

:nerd_face: Murena is the brand name and /e/OS is the operating system.

/e/OS Links

Support

• Facing issues with devices you purchased from us ? Send a mail with details to helpdesk@e.email

Websites

Telegram Channel

Social Media

Newsletters

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

13 Likes

@Manoj When will the ‘S’ build be available for Redmi Note 5 pro (whyred)?

Unfortunately, the whyred does not have a dedicated maintainer. Plus, LineageOS has also dropped support for the device, which makes future OS upgrades on the device difficult.

1 Like

This is not the case for the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact (lilac). I have installed Android S builds on /e/OS and Lineage for Microg over earlier Android versions, without needing to return to stock. Probably because the most recent stock ROM for this device is Android 9.0 (Pie)

Does this mean all data will be wiped when upgrading from 1.5-R to an S build (on FP3 if it matters)?

EDIT: I mean, I’m perfectly fine using the current 1.5-R stable build. I just want to avoid another Android version being EOL’d sometime in the (probably far) future and having to wipe my device again.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s relevant in this case, but I have just upgraded my FP3 from /e/ 0.23-pie to 1.5-r-stable last week without it requiring a return to the stock firmware / OS in between.

Hi, do you think the murena one jump to 1.6s or 1.6 and stay at R version ?
Thanks

If you are asking if the Murena One would get an OS upgrade to S then the answer is yes. The next point when the version jump would happen is what is yet to be decided. It will not be with v1.6. Will share details of when we will release the device OS upgrades (OTA where possible) through these weekly updates.

2 Likes

Please, and the S9+ ?
Arnaud

1 Like

I am sorry but I do not get the difference between /e/OS “S” and 1.5

“S” is the Android version …
and 1.5 is the /e/OS version … e/OS + Android OS version names and numbers? - #3 by aibd

3 Likes

We may release v1.6 this year instead of early 2023. Check the details in the initial post in this thread.

2 Likes

1.5.1-s was released for several devices, but https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/releases/-/releases/ doesn’t list it (mentioned here).

Typo:

Is your bootloader open or closed?

I too look forward to Samsung S9 being upgraded to S.

With the successful trial of OTA updates on a few models, when will all devices be supported with OTA updates?

OTA updates and good backup software will take e/os into the mainstream and stop it being only a niche product.

2 Likes

Let’s stick with the term “upgrade” for this, else it tends to get confusing.
(Every supported device gets OTA updates within the same underlying Android version.)

a) With the current extensive list of supported devices … Never.

b) As soon as “all devices” becomes a list narrowed down to the devices which the /e/OS developers can support with OTA upgrades. Preparing and testing OTA upgrades is complicated and a lot of work for every single device.

With a reliable and easily usable backup software taking the sting out of factory resets or installing from scratch, OTA upgrades could become unimportant.
I somehow doubt it’s possible with Android, else it should exist already.

2 Likes

I locked my bootloader after upgrading to 1.5-R-stable as to be able to use my banking app.

Then you will need to wait for the eventual upgrade OTA to S. With a locked bootloader you are not able to sideload anything.

An issue has been opened around this.

1 Like