Which app for blocking trackers? TrackerControl? Blokada? Netguard? Shelter?

Hello everybody,
I am new to /e/ os and am thinking about using some old apps I had on the old goodle-android. These apps are important for me, since I like to use them during my leisure-time…
Now the /e/ os tells me, that these apps use trackers to companies I definately want to avoid. Are there any experiences about “TrackerControl”, “Blokada”, “Netguard”, “Shelter” on /e/ os in order to avoid trackers?
Your experiences are highly appreciated… :slight_smile:

Yes, there are a lot if posts about it. One for example is here TrackerControl — a way to neutralize in-app trackers

3 Likes

Recently I wrote a post in another similar topic where I shortly describe the modern anti-tracking solutions and how each of them works.

4 Likes

Thanks for the Post-Link. Good overview :slight_smile:

we also have somewhere great post where every blocker and how it is working described. it’s a very detailed report, but I can’t find it :((

This is a good post, it should be sticky somewhere.

There is Lucky Patcher as well.

Thanks for your replies. I think I will try TrackerControl…

Unfortunately Netguard (and Tracker Control) both don’t run on some devices (including Fairphone 2) due to a bug in LineageOS (and therefore /e/). All internet traffic is blocked. (Why does NetGuard block all internet traffic?!)
I will wait for the next release of /e/ hoping that the bug will be gone.

1 Like

Reading the discussion I decided to check Tracker-Control. It is for me (as an average user) quite easy to handle. Most of the programs I use work fine when Trackers are blocked. Only a very few of my used apps need unblocking:

• C:geo (Geocaching app): working slowly if totally blocked. So I unblocked
  • Imaging Edge Mobile: Action cam software from Sony. Not working at all if blocked. Since it uses the WLAN. So I unblocked
  • Tello Smartphone App: Uses the WLAN as well. Had to unblock.

Greetings,
Roger

wiw, what I spying / tracing app. Everyone will know where you are. Goodbye privacy

[quote=“Roger, post:9, topic:17905”]

• Imaging Edge Mobile: Action cam software from Sony. Not working at all if blocked. Since it uses the WLAN. So I unblocked
    [/quote] I hope you will get some money from Sony for your data which the app is sending to Sony

you should block internet for it when not using. The Wifi is used for communication with the drone. So it can be cut when not flying he drone

1 Like

@harvey186
In general I am offline when I am on the run. Means, I prefer apps that work offline. Like kiwix for wikipedia, OSMand for Navigation, etc…

Cgeo:
Not that many worries about c:geo at all, since I only use the offline-features. I have a separate hiking navigation hardware. I load cgeo with data at home and use it entirely offline while I am on the run. Or am I forgetting something?

The other two:
Tello and Imaging Edge Mobile: I am thinking about using an old mobile phone to guide my drone…

I think you have forgotten how most trackers are working. They are collecting data also when offline. And as soon as they get web access they will send the offline collected data home. So it makes no difference if you work off or online

3 Likes

Alright, looks like I will use an old phone as geocaching-phone then… Thx.

Or maybe it is time to check another app as discussed before? “Shelter” for example…
Still learning about all these privacy things. But curious about…

Shelter is a good alternativ. But keep in mind, as more apps you have installed in shelter the more data will be collected.
Alternatives to to the drone appI think you won’t find. Same for action cam.
For hiking, there are some others app available.

2 Likes

In case someone finds this old post. Here is my result:
Im using TrackerContol on my main phone (with /e/) for a couple of weeks now. Works fine.
I deinstalled very curious apps like action-cam and tello drone app and reinstalled them onto an old smartphone which is only used as internet-radio. As I use those apps only occasionally I have no problem using them on a second device.
Thanks to all discussions partners, especially to @harvey186 whose knowledge is always very helpful.

2 Likes

Hi everybody,
I´m completely new to these tools and just installed shelter to put a few “bad” apps like Whatsapp and Spotify into. I was wondering if it would make sense to clone Tracker control into shelter to at least block the maximum of trackers possible. Since I noticed that sometimes it´s enough to unblock one single category of trackers to make an app work (for example, when my Duckduckgo browser would not open websites because of TC, I only unblocked “ads” and “uncategorized” while keeping the others blocked).

You MUST install TrackerControl also in shelter, because the Main TrackerControl can’t ‘see’ the shelter apps

1 Like

Ok, actually I was aware of that. My question was rather if using TC within Shelter blocking as many trackers as possible would make any sense at all, but reading your answer I understand that it does :smiley: Thanks a lot! If that has been discussed here before I probably just missed it.

Hi guys,

I installed tracker control within shelter, along with couple apps that I need to use for whatever reason but contain trackers.

Now, when I unfreeze and launch tracker control within shelter, very rarely it works properly. I get a following notification after launching it:

Usually, besides Tracker Control, I have microG an SystemTracing along with Files and Aurora Store unfreezed and running in shelter. If I freeze them though, and try to launch just the tracker control app, the same error occurs. Anybody came across the same problem and knows how to resolve it? Or is it something that happens because of /e/ operating system and should be shared with support?