Which phone is best current choice running E/OS (after many failures)

In fairness, that was not my intention :slight_smile:

I had been suggesting we try to learn how to roll back to the last update, in Post #42

Then we had the screenshot of running a “made up command”.

I had to be somewhere else after that.

Maybe redundant to say. But I did not manage to get twrp working on Oneplus. I had no problem with that when I installed several Samsung devices. So I had little options left.

Good morning @eosfan I wonder if you are still up for new ideas, or if this is a well deserved day of rest. I hope that remark did not seem like personal knock back, it was not intended like that. :slight_smile:

Just on the “what did we learn last time”, well the thing that prompted my rollback suggestion is that if Recovery had never been adjusted (as it seemed from your reports yesterday morning) it might well still be a match with your “old” system/ e-2.1-r- so there was the outside chance if that switching slot would restore the “previous environment”.

Is it normal ? Important to understand

It is important that you can always switch reliably. This is normal,

This link also explains the expected “normal” for the for the factory delivered device, with a Oneplus “bootloader menu” as described here https://www.hardreset.info/devices/oneplus/oneplus-7-pro/bootloader-mode/. The bootloader menu is indicated locked to Fastboot, indicated by FASTBOOT MODE highlighted in red.

All the time the device is not bricked, if system and recovery are compromised and unbootable it is normal that the phone will return to Bootloader / fastboot. So this is a simple indicator that repair of both is required.

You might confirm whether your arrow keys allow you to select START from this menu and that this at least attempts to start system. My advice would be to do this first (if it works) after any “switch slot command”, rather than to attempt to look at recovery first.

As you use the arrow keys from the Bootloader menu does a new Boot to recovery option appear?

If, no, and START takes you to recovery when you expect system then this tells you that system is unbootable, but the fallback to recovery is still bootable.

From what you have said earlier maybe you are in the process of preparing the phone for dispatch elsewhere, but if you were up for more learning, my suggestion would be to review where you have managed to get in collecting the OnePlus stock ROM.

Alternatively, if you wanted to further explore the idea of “going back”, this is generally “against Android rules” but I believe that as Android 13 is not yet established it may be possible. I am going to include this link asking for general advice on A/B slot on a OnePlus 7 because it contains a valuable contribution from @LuK1337 of LineageOS https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/n2fvl5/some_general_notes_about_androids_with_slots_ab/.

1 Like

Good morning aibd, Always room for a new adventure. No worries, no offense taken. I totally appreciate your and everybody else’s input in trying to help me out. If the rest of the world would be as helpful as the people on this forum this would be a different world ;-),

I am sorry but I think I do not quite understand what you are proposing.

Blockquote
Do you mean on which website I found the image? In trying to find a solution I visited so many website. I can’t remember which it was. This is the name of the file I downloaded
OnePlus7ProOxygen_21.P.45_OTA_0450_all_2206171138_fa345ce5f997412d.zip

Blockquote
Do you mean still starting from scratch with Oxygen 12? Yesterday I managed to get the phone running by installing e/OS T 2.2 through fastboot on slot a. In doing so I did a factory reset and wipe.

In reaction to a suggestion of @piero I installed 2.1 on slot b. After that I updated through the system updater to 2.2. Funny thing is when I restarted the phone on slot a the version had changed from 2.2. to 2.1. So I used system updater to bring it back to 2.2.

I do assume the sideload install gets done on the active slot. But given the result it now appears the install gets done either on both slots or slots get sync.
So I guess 2.2. is now installed on both slots and the recovery will be updated in the next update automatically.

I will read the link you sent about slots maybe I will understand then.

Have a very good Sunday and yes today I will be outside in the sun and BBQ.
Thanks once more.

Read your link about slots

these instructions are even more confusing :slight_smile:

" As an overview, the installation process first gets you to flash the lineage recovery to the current boot image. This will prevent your current OS from booting, but seeing as we will be overwriting it that’s ok. Then you boot into recovery with the key combination.

Once in recovery, you sideload the copy partitions script to ensure neither firmware slot is older than the other. Then reboot back into recovery for good measure (this will take you back to Lineage recovery)

Then perform the wipe, and sideload the lineage zip. Once this has been sideloaded, you must reboot back into recovery before flashing anything else. Otherwise it will not switch slots and flash to the wrong one.

Then reboot in to your OS and you should be good to go "

This comment seems to say slot a is automatically copied to b

"My personal technique is to flash everything on the slot A with the last but one Lineageos build and then boot on that slot and use the updater to update to the last lineageos build which will fill slot B. That’s the easiest way I found. "

OK but you only just read it. Maybe it is not your situation right now. I suggest it is a thing to bookmark and come back to see how it can fit with your evolving understanding. :slight_smile:

I will revert to answering your Post #64 only.

I was unclear of your actual success at close of play yesterday but that sounds like “a phone running fine” ? As you have not actually mentioned it please could you paste here what is actually shown in

About phone > Android version > /e/OS version. Tap on /e/OS version to copy to clipboard.

That is not necessary (but it might be interesting for following readers) but I was just asking whether you have a fallback “Stock ROM” file, So all good.

So this is in the land of speculation but I have found it significant that neither /e/OS nor LineageOS wikis include a copy-partions.sh so maybe there is an element of sync, unknown to me.

I will be picky, so that we see accurate information.

When you already successfully did through system updater

e-2.1-t-xxx-dev	TO	e-2.2-t-xxx-dev 

with “Update recovery” as Post #36 one would have expected to see a “matching recovery”.

If not, please tell us (or an image) of the existing recovery.

This is what is looks like.

Are you asking me to check recovery on both slots? After I installed 2.1. on slot b. I booted the phone and used system updater to get it to 2.2 also.
Booting from slot a to my surprise this was back on 2.1. so I used system updater here also to get it to 2.2.
But maybe I do not understand your question correctly. How do I get an image of existing recovery?

ahh … I guess I previously missed.

So we do have a fully running, satisfactory phone. Great.

… and when you said

… you meant updated again to e-2.3. Sure I expect so.

Yep it looks like everything is fine now. If I still encounter new problems I will start from scratch with Oxygen. I am very pleased with it.
Sometimes I wish I could go back to the phone booth times… :wink:
Yes indeed updated again to 2.3.

Have a good Sunday aibd!

1 Like

BTW Did you get TWRP running with Oneplus?

I understand that when slot A is active, the install or upgrade is done to slot B…

Indeed, and this fits with from https://www.xda-developers.com/how-a-b-partitions-and-seamless-updates-affect-custom-development-on-xda/

(A/B devices don’t have a dedicated recovery partition)

… so as we have seen the recovery is expected to Update on the new slot.

Yes I do have TWRP on my OnePlus One, but that is a flagship device from when life was simpler.

This is going off-topic! Perhaps you can move your :white_check_mark: Solution, to a post of @piero after your good work under his guidance yesterday.

1 Like

version 3.4 was buggy, 3.7 is sometime repported buggy too…

1 Like

I am running TWRP 3.6.2_9-0 with Android 11(R) on OnePlus One.

1 Like

Thank you aibd, I will give that a try.

Hi @eosfan I was not sure why you and @piero asked me about TWRP on my old phone, but for your phone I see in OnePlus 7 Pro (guacamole)

Installation:
WARNING: If you accidently flash TWRP to your device using fastboot instead of temporarily booting the image, you will need to download the latest factory image for your device and reflash the boot image.

One is further advised to

Temporary boot the downloaded image using the following command:

fastboot boot twrp.img

Further advice and instructions follow.

Please note also that TWRP is designed to be Android version specific. In this article, October 2022, TWRP 3.7.0 lands with long-awaited Android 12 support and various other fixes we read,

Notably, TWRP doesn’t have any official support for Android 13 yet, but it is in development.

Thank you very much @aibd . I downloaded this but had a problem getting it to run. Thanks for the instructions, that will surely help. I thought I would need twrp to flash Oxygen 12. Isn’t that the case?
Have a very good day!

I really would not have thought so!

Perhaps you have an install guide supplied with your download which you should read carefully.

As an example ...

… a “Fastboot ROM” when unzipped will have a file like flash-all.bat or flash-all.sh which is a script to be run from Fastboot.

(Just on the hypothetical, this is aimed to ensure that the device is returned to original, no adaptions.)

1 Like

I tried to install twrp app on my phone but that one crashes.
Will first read all the links you sent me and see where it gets me.

Please do not retry, many reports of trouble, what did you expect to get from it?