I got frustrated with LineageOS’ all-too-frequent updates borking my system, so I decided to give /e/ a go - so far I like what I see! Particularly the fact that it’s based on Android 7.1. for my phone, with current security updates.
I have always been running my smartphones without a google account, without Gapps or microG, with f-droid apps only.
I have a few questions that I could not find answers to even after semi-diligent searching:
- The /e/ App Store
- Are all applications therein OpenSource?
- Is there a similar ranking as on f-droid (“Anti-features” etc.) - so far I have not seen anything
- how are the apps chosen, who “runs” the store?
- Can I install and use the f-droid app like I’m used to? Possibly disabling the official app store app? Do people using /e/ do that?
- Same question for AFWall+, which I’m pretty sure I cannot be without?
- Do people root their /e/ phones?
- FAQ 1 says that there is “one proprietary application though” - even after reading the statement it is not clear to me what that one application is?
Thanks for reading, have a great day/night!