Best way to read email / calender from google (work) without google apps?

Hi everyone,
I am new here so bare with me, I have had a fairphone 2 for years, now a new fairphone 3 and finally want to get ride of google. My main challenge is the company I work for uses google enterprise …

Now I can life with that from my laptop all fine but my question is:

Is it possible to just read my email and check my google calendar with other client like fairemaail k9mail or an other client and check my calendar without google on my phone?

I installed the FairEmail client and now it want me to login to google, I understand I have to talk to Big G at some point but want to be sure I uderstand when google actuall gets to me …

Any suggestions?

hugo

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

why do’t use the web browser. All goolag apps are available in browser.

ok I will give that a try, actually I do that already for a long time on my laptop…
so I dont need a specific app you say…

yes. you can login on goolag on main goolag site and access all like gmail, calendar, contacts, docs etc.

hmmm ok mail is ok calander is a bit tricky i see but thx for pointing out what I already do on my laptop for 5+ years :wink: so i will stick tothis also for mobile now … thx

While viewing calendar and mail in the browser certainly works, the calendar and mail app (by which I mean the app of your choice, e.g. default /e/ mail and calendar or fairmail) is more convenient and will give you things like the native Android look and feel, notification, integration with other accounts etc.

Mail can be setup as a regular IMAP account (imap.gmail.com) with your email address and password. For the calendar you can use an app like DAVx5 to synchronize via the caldav protocol. Unfortunately DAVx5 does not support the Oauth method required by the official Google Calendar API, however the old caldav access URL still works for now (might not work in the future):

https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/[yourname]@gmail.com/events

1 Like

Yes, that’s right, but I wouldn’t allow any connection to a googlag server. No way. And when you are running a tracker blocker like TrackerControl or Netguard the connections would be blocked by default

Sure. Anyone can decide what fits her or his use case most.

2 Likes

What is the big difference - connect Googull with browser or connect with app?

The app has trackers and is collection ALL your data from your device. The browser collected only data from browser

k9 and fair emails do not have trackers?

yepp. you can check on your device with ‘ClassyShark’ from f-droid

k9 Zero trackers found
fairemail 1 tracker, bugsnag, opt-in only, developer is privacy-oriented.

discussed:

K9 will definitely work with your Google email. Just set it up like any IMAP service

thx guys for all the feedback

ok now I have the following issue, my company is on google, I try to use the default email client ( forked from k9 right?) I can create an extra account for my regular me@gmail.com account on the mail client but my companies email via IMAP does not work… I put the email me@company.com as user name use smtp.gmail.com but after that it says cannot connect to server…? (yes he IMAP services are checked in the account) any suggestions?

has your company a 2way auth ? As far as I know from some goolag users you have to accept the new client via browser access to gmail

I use email blue mail.

For the calendar: I need to access a google calendar from work and it kinda worked by adding a google account in system settings. Kinda. Every 2-5 weeks I noticed that the calendar was not syncing correctly anymore. I had to remove the google account from system settings, add it again, uncheck all items I did not want syncing (mail, contacts, etc.) and everything worked fine again for a while. But the conitnuuos uncertainity if syncing was working was unnerving. I suspect the problem has to do with the inbuilt “stealth” function of micro-g, which prohibits google to continuuosly identify my device, so at some point google servers refuse to sync.

I then tried to access the google calendar via webdav/caldav, that never worked for me.

Now I installed an app called “ICSx5” which allows to add accounts for the iCalendar standard format. Google-Calendars provide a private ical-address for each calendar. I just noticed, that this is only working for viewing though, I don’t seem to have write-access from my phone :tired_face: :sob:

Update: even the “viewing” feature through iCal works only for a limited time, then there are sync-errors. I suspect google allows syncing for a while, then disallows for some reason (e.g. changing device-identification?). Most likely it’s the same mechanism as described above for the google account.