Feedback for v1.20

Vendor Name: Xiaomi Redmi
Device name: Note 6 Pro
Device CodeName: twolip
Version of /e/OS which existed previously: e-1.16-r-20231021343335-dev-twolip
The device is Not rooted

OTA-Update to /e/OS-R V1.20

First function test successful:
:white_check_mark: Works fine: 4G LTE, WLAN (Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/a) , BT 5.0, GPS, e-Cameras
:heavy_heart_exclamation: Very pleasing additional functions: Infrared port, FM radio (UKW)

Vendor Name: Gigaset
Device name: GS290
Device CodeName: GS290
Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously: 1.19.1-s-20240109372023-stable-GS290
Is the device Rooted/ Not rooted: Not rooted

Updated smoothly via OTA.

There was an increased level of battery consumption. However after a few days the rate of battery depletion reduced but is still ever so slightly more than it was using v1.19.

Overall very happy with the performance of the phone using the /e/OS versions released after December 2023. The phone had become so slow and frustating to use, I was on the verge of binning it and using an old Samsung phone running LineageOS.

Vendor Name: Murena Fairphone
Device name: Fairphone 4
Device CodeName: FP4
Previous Version of /e/OS: 1.19.1-s (stable)
Rooted: False

Won’t update past 81% updater now keeps crashing.

Well, my Samsung A5 is also draining my battery. I have 3000 mAh of capacity, but I like to think the battery is old. Still, the app Accu Battery tells me my battery health is 80%. I am really not a heavy user, in contrary: I use the phone far less than most people do.

I still don’t have 1.20 available. I have a Samsung Galaxy S10+ (currently running 1.19).

Is it the case that the “slotted” release time/date hasn’t reached me yet, or the 1.20 update is not available for the S10+? Does anybody know?

1 Like

Looking at the ROMs published for Galaxy S10+ https://images.ecloud.global/dev/beyond2lte/ we see that the final Android 12 (S) was e-1.19.1-s and that your next build now will be e-1.20-t, Android 13 (T) so a manual Upgrade will be required (no OTA Upgrades on dev builds).

Android (T) upgrades should need no Format data and no “Return to stock ROM” just adb sideload as this [Guide]. Always take a back up of essentials first.

Fairphone 5 /FP5
1.20-t-20240220382010-stable-FP5
Regularly bought via Murena. Not rooted

“Smooth display” feature (90Hz) makes bliss launcher crash regularly once a day at random. It looks like the phone is rebooting, but uptime is the same.

Today it crashed and displayed the bootloader the first time.

With 60Hz setting no crash, or with 90Hz and KISS launcher no crash.

1 Like

My KISS crashes. What’s the german name of this feature so I can try out other settings?

Heißt auch auf dt. Smooth Display (unter den display Einstellungen). Wenn du ein FP5 oder ein Gerät mit 90Hz Display hast. Featurevgibtsvauch noch nicht lange und hatte schon einige bugs.

Same for my S10 Beyond1lte

@Blank_Space @centaurus Update from 1.19.1-s to 1.20-t on beyond2lte
that helped me. :wink:

How can I file a bug report related to v1.20 in GitLab? I have not find how I can create an account - when I tried I was not allowed to create one with my e-mail address. Or where/how can I request a bug report to be created?

Support topic: Getting an error message in new ID creation on /e/OS Gitlab?

1 Like

Yes, it does not like my e-mail. Ref this snapshot. How do they (or myself) know which is my regular e-mail? In the form, it states something like they recommend a business e-mail, but I use (of course) one of my personal e-mails. https://gitlab.e.foundation
gitlab

@hehemrin, my response is a link! Please just follow the recommended path to ask for help.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: Sorry, I didn’t read the link first time. Now I sent the account request, thanks!

Vendor Name: Google
Device name: Pixel 4
Device CodeName:flame
Previous Version of /e/OS: 1.19-s (dev)
Rooted: False

I’ved noticed that despite setting the app store to only use Wifi for downloads, that they have been taking place over my 4G connection. I have controld.com set up as a private VPN and also use TC slim - I’m unsure if either of these in combination could be leading to the problem.

Update otherwise works perfectly.

Vendor Name: Gigaset
Device Name: GS 290
1.20-s-20240220382012-stable-GS290
Previous Version of /e/OS: 1.19.1-s
not rooted
Update often canceled during Installation. All functions given.
All the Time on the Phone was Bliss Launcher, since 1.20 additional Trebuchet.
Battery life is fine,with moderate use, up to four days running time.
Except in the status bar, the Battery display shows constantly 0%.
Deeper into the battery settings it is ok and shows the right percentage.

Thanks cemol71 - that did the trick. I am now on 1.20 T - it seems to be a bit laggy (slower operation).

But I still wonder about the developers’ reasons behind not providing this version upgrade via OTA (the R to S upgrade was provided via OTA for my phone).

The truth is the large majority of the (potential) /e/OS user base is non-technical. They struggled through the initial /e/OS installation (or asked a friend to do it for them), in the idea that it was a one-off. But if this becomes a regular thing (all version upgrades for most phone models will not be provided as OTA), I see many people losing interest in /e/OS very fast.

One change I’ve noticed is that since the upgrade to 1.20T, the phone call screen doesn’t show anymore (incoming calls or ongoing calls screen goes into the notifications bar by default, rather than being in the foreground by default).

Does anybody know if this is expected behaviour?