Help! Easy-installer process interrupted - how do I continue?

You probably have to change filename in the command

1 Like

What @Piero meant was you can’t just copy “file”.zip You have to paste in the “actual filename”.zip
Your command will look like the example I gave earlier.

Better?

Only a bit better!

Just so we get our terminology right, I asked for and demonstrated “actual filename”

But you substituted path and filename.

You did not need path in this case as you already “moved into” the directory you wanted to work in.

So I should type into the Terminal cat e-0.19etc.zip.sha256sum
?
The path is /home/tabitha/Downloads
?

I’ve tried cat e-0.19-o-20211023142277-stable-starlte.zip.sha256sum and it seems to match

I find the screenshots hard to read. I see one time it failed, one time you got a result. My eyes are not good enough to tell why!!

Perhaps you could practice copying your output onto a editor, and try to get your output to mimic mine. If you get that to work, you could copy it here when it looks right. The output must mimic post #75

cat is just meant to be an easy way to generate line 1.

What I didn’t understand about that is the bit about lineage, as I don’t see that anywhere with what I have done on my PC.

Ok I understand that. I did not have your .zip on my computer.
So I just quickly picked up that checksum trace from my own ~/Downloads folder.
The veeery long string at the start of line 1 is the “hash”. Hash is the magic product of the checksum command.
When someone uploads a file, they take the hash and publish it alongside so any one can do their own checksum to verify it.

All the lineage bit is the “actual filename”

OK. I am trying to understand. I will have a go replicating and copying it here in a mo…

9891ac79f1a1dc3c78cb73578c512c9e6786c0b65c8ab5d262063dbc61bdca7d lineage-19-o-20211023142277-recovery-a3xelte.img
tabitha@tabitha-HP-G62-Notebook-PC-:~Downloads$ sha256sum lineage-19-o-20211023142277-recovery-a3xelte.img

I feel sure you are going to tell me I have got this wrong, and I wouldn’t be surprised, as the recovery a3 etc. is not making any sense to me.

I am new to all this, so I am following you quite blindly. Thank you for your patience!

I feel sure it is time for a break!

You still have three choices, and it is still possible for things to go wrong, I am not in your chair!

• Restart Easy Installer
  • install via TWRP and SD card,
  • or install via TWRP and sideload.

I never saw your answer to my question, “So did the familiar Easy Installer interface appear after that screen?” Post #51

Different written instructions look more intuitive to different individuals!

Remember you have the install instructions as given in the link in Post #2 to double check with.

Do you have platform-tools installed? If not, please use the latest version and not apt-get in Mint.

If yes, you would be in a position to pick up Post #6 again.

I think I’ve done it:
after Downloads$ I put in sha256sum followed by the e-0.19etc.zip and there was a pause and it has turned out the same but with the hash in front of it, and the sha256sum gone. I think that’s it?

That’s ok being patient.

I am following you quite blindly

Is less ok! To consolidate learning: To verify your download
we used the cat command on a text file to output the contents.

Then the sha256sum on a .zip file to produce a “hash”.

Then we compared the hash produced by the original distributor, with the hash you produced and found them identical.

If identical you verified the download.

I will be sure to check in tomorrow.

1 Like

Hey guess what? I have /e/ OS on my phone! Yay!
I knew I was near the end and that’s why I wanted to try and finish it before going to bed.

Thank you SOOO much!

4 Likes

Well done, great news!

You’re still there? I am so happy! Just installing an app right now (so I can make telephone calls to hearing people).

Have a great sleep and I will be getting to know my new OS over the coming days. Phew - so glad it worked out in the end.

Thank you very much again, aibd, and to everyone else here who helped.
Night!

1 Like

Congratulations! Acknowledgements to @piero & @aibd for the great support!
@buzzears Have a look at the “how-to”-section for an easier start in /e/: Getting Started on /e/OS
if there will appear new questions don’t hesitate to first search and then ask in this forum.

4 Likes

Thank you caos. It was your instruction at Post number 24 that I followed after I got past the sha256sum, along with the illustrations posted by piero. Thanks very much for coming back and checking in. Much appreciated.

For anyone coming here from a search: If easy-installer gets interrupted during download or installation, and will no longer work, you can see if these steps help (on Linux of course):

This will remove easy-installer, clear the cache, and reinstall it. In the terminal:

snap remove --purge easy-installer
snap install easy-installer --channel=beta

This has worked for me multiple times when easy-installer failed during install.

2 Likes