High mobile data usage /e/Storage

Hi all,

yesterday /e/storage used up over 2gb of my mobile data volume. I experienced the same issue last October. Do you know whats that about?

I have a Fairphone 3.

Thank you amd best regards,

Revo

Same for me on thursday !

I have a Sony xperia XZ1 compact

I disconnected every synchronisation possible of /e/ drive

The same happened to me - it burned through a month’s worth of mobile data in a matter of hours and kept knocking my Wi-Fi network out by maxing out the upload:

Settings-wise, I had all of the syncs (e.g., calendar, contacts) set to 2-minute refreshes. This was also the case before the issue happened.

Looking at my router’s network traffic, the issue seemed to start at 2022-03-03T17:45Z and resolved at some point over the weekend (although I was away all weekend so have no data for that period), with a pause between 2022-03-07T17:30Z and 2022-03-10T17:20Z.

As you can see in the below graphs, /e/ appears to be periodically maxing out my upload connection (the dark red line) around every 20 minutes, in 15-minute bursts (the horizontal red line is when I turned my phone off as part of trying to diagnose which device was killing my Wi-Fi, and as you can see the problem stopped until I powered it back up):

I’ve set up mobile data warnings and a cap in case this happens again (and from @Revo’s post it sounds like this isn’t the first time this has happened), but as things currently stand I can’t connect my /e/ device to my network if there’s a risk that it may randomly start launching a DoS attack against it.

1 Like

I am having the same problem. Yesterday I noticed that all over sudden /e/drive had used 2.4 GB of mobile data. This morning it was 2.8 GB. I have now blocked /e/drive from using mobile data.

hopefully someone can explain this behavior and offer a solution.

I have the same problem. 55gb in 6 days without file transfer. There must be a bug.

@Manoj I have the same problem, do you know anything about it. I suppose it was due to the new os version (0.22).

Thank you for your help.

Device information:
Samsung S9 (SM-G960F)

/e/ OS Version:
0.22-20220228166119

There is an issue regarding this high data usage here. Pl add your comments and issue details to the thread. I am pushing for a fix with the team.

I see there is some development activity coming. Great!

I already reported a drain of 2.8 GB on mobile data. The next day there was a drain of 1.7 GB on wifi data. So I blocked /e/drive from all network activity.

I don’t like to start experimenting with parameters on my own, but if I can help by performing some guided tests, please let me know.

Great !

I would like to draw your attention to the fact that in addition to consuming a lot of data, it also uses a lot of battery. Since I have blocked /e/drive from all network activity the data consumption and the battery are saved.

A short term solution before the problem is solved thoroughly is to allow only /e/drive sync via wi-fi.

++

Hi,

I’m using /e/OS on a Fairphone 3 and I have an issue with the /e/ Drive sync. By default it syncs over mobile network, which I blocked after I noticed that. However, it continues to do so. Am I doing something wrong? Here screenshots of my settings:

Build: e_FP3-userdebug 10 QQ3A.200805.001 eng.root.20220228.083402 dev-keys,stable-release

Hi,

Same thing on my GS290 since the beginning of April.

e_GS290-userdebug 10 QQ3A.200805.001 eng.root.20220228.090813 dev-keys,stable-release

I would check the account settings. In the Settings you have a subsection “Accounts” (or so), there must be an account for your e-Drive, and there are specific options for different types of synchronized data. You should only allow what you want to have.

Hello everybody.

During last day and night, /e/ Drive completely destroyed my roaming dataplan using all 30GB I got and then 20 more for which I have to pay €70 now. Thanks you guys. Also the phone was burning-hot and consumed the batery in few hours, had to be recharges multiple times.

I use it solely for contacts sync, is this normal behavior? I don’t feel like it is…

Pl track the development around this issue here

Feel free to add details to the bug comments section on Gitlab

Looks like this has been reported elsewhere, and is currently being addressed in this thread.

Hey Manoj,
This issue is not only about being able to stop /e/ Drive app from using data via the cellular network but also about why /e/ Drive starts using a lot of data all of the sudden. I did not find any answer to that question in the topic you referred to. I do want /e/ Drive to sinc my agenda regularly, even while using the mobile network, but I that shouldn’t mean that it burn a lot of data.

Bump

Same issue here

Didn’t change anything with my configuration.
It just started yesterday.

/e/drive used 130GB of data, i dont have and clue what its Sending.
I have only 500mb on my phone and the traffic analyser shows 120gb Download.

It emptied my cellular plan within hours and keeps going on WiFi.

1.15-s-20230916331435-dev-alioth