Issue with no connectivity for users still on old builds post release of v2.0

Thanks, much easier to see what exactly you are running now :+1: .

FP3
Android 9
0.23-p-20220406176461-stable-FP3

1 Like

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Android 9
0.23-p-20220412177701-dev-mido

This is Android 9 (P) and thus the situation i described above.

The way forward on FP3 is a backup of all your important stuff on the phone to somewhere safe, and then a new install, either with the Easy Installer or manually via command line … https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP3
Both options will wipe your data.

You are absolutely certain this is the ONLY way to fix this issue? Are we sure what is causing the issue yet? I don’t wanna risk bricking my phone unless there is no other way…

I can backup his method and so could alot of others on the forum if you search for it :wink:

When the internet works on the phone, but the status bar icons say it doesn’t, a typical cause should be that a so-called captive portal server can’t be reached. The phone checks whether internet works by contacting such a server which sends a short reply. No reply = no internet, the phone assumes, while the rest of the internet might work perfectly.

It is possible that old /e/OS versions query a server which now got turned off, because newer /e/OS don’t query it anymore.

Edit: Deleted some steps copied from the internet to try to find out more, but quickly got around to try myself and now I’m not sure this leads to anything. Will try again when I have more time.

If you happen to have Fairphone Angels (community volunteers trying to help users) with Fairphone 3/3+ (and ideally /e/OS) expertise in your vicinity, you could ask them whether they would perhaps be able to help in person … :angel: The Fairphone Angels Program and Map (Local support by community members) - Local - Fairphone Community Forum .

1 Like

Hi,
I noticed recently that my device (ONEPLUS A5010) now tells me that there is no internet connection when connected on wi-fi, while there is. I can browse, I can update apps, a ping in a terminal gives an answer.
I do not use a lot my phone, and i can’t tell when exactly it started, or what modification triggered this notification. I tested several wi-fi connections, with the same result.
My /e/OS version is 0.19-20211023142278, Android 8.1.0, 23 October 2021 (i just checked for updates).

I’d be glad to get any insight, or how to disable this notification. I already reset Wi-Fi configuration, without any change.

Thanks in advance!

the captive portal “forever url” seems down or flakey, this should be the reason

2 Likes

In common with others with this issue, this is an old build. A manual upgrade of Android version could allow you to run /e/OS v2.0 at Android 13 (T).

You would need to make a backup of essentials then perform the upgrade as if it was a new Install https://doc.e.foundation/devices/dumpling/install

This would involve going back to “Stock ROM” to get the latest Android 10 firmware.

Does this mean that if that server would be made up and running again our problem would be solved? Who is responsible for keeping that server running? Is there some person that can be made aware of this?

This particular problem would possibly be solved.

But even then you running an /e/OS version from Stone Age with a myriad of unfixed security holes on a phone connected to the internet is a problem on its own, also for others once because of this negligence without you noticing a botnet operates on your phone in the background to attack other people’s devices.

Enjoying the benefits of a powerful device comes with a certain responsibility.
Regarding cars this is taught when getting a driver license.
Regarding computer devices, which can do severe harm to others, too … mostly chirping of crickets, unfortunately.

So update your device regardless, your device in the internet right now is like a 2 year old yoghurt in the fridge at work. Ugh :wink: !
Just my unpopular opinion, of course.

1 Like

OT: Well, you can also see it differently. My family is very happy with our four Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (orignal with Android 7, now with Android 9, thanks to /e/OS). We don’t miss anything and the eco-balance is unbeatable (as with my car from 2002), as it’s easy and cheap to repair.
IMHO, the operating systems should therefore simply be maintained for longer instead of producing unnecessary scrap.

1 Like

Thanks!
Just to be sure, I have to:

1. backup : ttps://doc.e.foundation/support-topics/backup-and-restore-ephone
  2. switch back to an “official” OS
    2.1) download the ROM, found for oneplus 5T on https://service.oneplus.com/us/search/search-detail?id=2096229
    2.2) follow ttps://community.e.foundation/t/e-os-to-stock-rom-on-your-smartphone-using-gnu-linux-oneplus-edition/14358
  3. install the newest /e/
    3.1) download the lastest zip on ttps://images.ecloud.global/dev/dumpling/
    3.2) install it as i did a long time ago following ttps://doc.e.foundation/devices/dumpling/install
  4. profit
    ?
    (as a new user, i am limited to two links, so i removed the h of https in the links)
1 Like

Whats about using TWRP or Titanium to backup? Couldn’t it be easier?

That sounds about right. Good luck.

There is no risk of bricking the device when following this method? The reason I’ve never upgraded the phone myself, is because ppl wrote it could get bricked. That’s also the reason I bought it from /e/ so I would get /e/ preinstalled.

So, does this mean that it wouldn’t help if the old captive portal server was made up and running again?