Issue with no connectivity for users still on old builds post release of v2.0

You can try to set working captive portal servers yourself …

1 Like

had an edit error in that captiveportalcontroller url. Discourse has the edit error cached if the quick-tile isn’t expanded

1 Like

Thanks, edited here, too.

Hi, my Samsung Galaxy S8+ running /e/OS 0.23 (April 2022) is having a rare behavior with Internet access. I can connect to wifi networks, but the device says systematically that Internet is not available on them. So /e/OS does not sync anymore with my calendars, contacts, and so on. I reset the networks settings, changed the DNS server, deleted the wifi connections, but it didn’t solve anything. This problem started when I was without any wifi networks during some hours, and then every connection appeared to be without any Internet access (even if the network was effectively working).
It seems something similar to Wifi connects but no internet access on fairphone 4.
Is it necessary to reset the device? Or is there any softer possibility?

Delete broken link.

The fix is to Upgrade, as you say your build is quite old, that is include Android version upgrade.

Are you on a stable or dev build? and currently what Android version?

I’m on Android 9, stable version /e/OS 0.23-2022041277701.

Many thanks, @tcecyk ! This solved the problem for me. I can now update apps again and the little “x” symbol has disappeared (FP3, /e/OS 0.23-20…, April 2022).

As I remember your phone should have been offered an OTA Android version Upgrade.

Delete broken link.

Great, works fine!
Here a short tut. I’d use adblink on my laptop (Ĺinux.Mint).

• install captiveportalcontroller
  • allow ADB über Netzwerk in den Entwickleroptionen
  • connect device with adblink (ip:5555)
  • in ADB shell type: pm grant io.github.muntashirakon.captiveportalcontroller android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
  • choose custom servers in captiveportalcontroller
  • restart wifi
  • be happy
1 Like

Thanks. I purged the cache/main memory of the updater, but no new updates are proposed to the device.
Is it the way to get an OTA Android update?

Yes, but the “distributing server” may be no longer online, idk.

In your place I would restart the phone, redo the Clear storage, and repeatedly press the refresh button from time to time, because if you can catch the OTA Upgrade it will save you from having to Format data.

Meanwhile it might be a good time to ensure you have a backup of essentials.

Ok I will try that. Thanks

Great! This solved the issue.

if the time of upgrade inconveniences you, set captive portal urls that are online - Wifi shows as no internet - #65

1 Like

Ok.
Just another question: in the case I reinstall /e/OS on my device, is there a way to restore the data quite easily, for instance with TWRP Recovery? But restoring these data may restore also the current bug with the network manager…

there are many backup threads in the forum, imo it’s too much effort. If you have contacts/calendars synced via webdav, backup images and reinstall cleanly.

If you read the threads on why wifi seems offline, you’ll see it’s not a bug.

1 Like

The problem is that the wifi connection blockage seems not to allow upgrades or updates of apps anymore. So it’s impossible to install anything on the device.

However the posts that follow show that an phone on 0.19-o-20211023142277-stable-starlte did receive the OTA upgrade, it may or may not be related but in early attempts to troubleshoot the “wifi connection” issue the router was reset. However the captiveportal_urls solution above may also bump the System updater into action, perhaps.

if you use the method to set your own captiveportal urls (either by that app or via adb) the wifi issue will be gone

1 Like

The solution with captiveportalcontroller seems to work. After the APK install of the app, and its configuration (and reboot), the wifi networks are detected and running without “no access to internet”.
I will try to study with more time the source of this problem and the threads :slight_smile:
Warm thanks guys…