An update on this - a couple of days back we have made a slight change to the naming of builds.
In place of ‘UNOFFICIAL’ now you would see ‘Community’ mentioned.
To summarize the Community builds are
- Phones may or may not be supported by Lineage …for e.g Essential ‘mata’ has an /e/ build but not Lineage support
- The impact of Lineage stopping support means that for /e/ users there will be a short period of time when the device will not be getting up to date security patches
- This also means that at present we do not have a separate device maintainer for this particular device…Device maintainers are users who volunteer to build the ROM for the device.
- In absence of a dedicated device maintainer /e/ builds team builds the ROM for the device
- We are working on upgrading our infrastructure so that all devices can be provided up to date security patches including those not supported by lineage
- Lastly we do not have plans to drop any device from our list of supported devices. All devices on our list will continue to be supported
- Build quality is better compared to ‘UNOFFICIAL’ - i.e. they are more stable
- ‘Community’ build will have OTA support
‘UNOFFICIAL’ : builds on the other hand will be
- built using /e/ source code
- No OTA support
- Can be downloaded from the /e/ website
Get details on the build from the wiki here
In addition we would also be adding more devices to the list based on user suggestions here