MOTO G7 (River) Problem Installing TWRP

Help! Total newb here, trying to figure out how to strip Android off the G7 and replace it with /e/. I’ve already unlocked the bootloader, but haven’t been able to actually install TWRP on the phone. Would really love for a pro to swoop in and offer some guidance. Thanks in advance!

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Hi JLZ. The link below will allow you to search for your device. Just follow the directions after you find it.:point_down:
https://doc.e.foundation/devices/

Here is the “River” device specifically :point_down:
https://doc.e.foundation/devices/river/

***and just a side note. It appears this device has an A/B slot setup. This means you will flash a temporary recovery .IMG which will be used to patch the slots and then flash /e/. When you flash /e/ it will also flash /e/'s recovery image which will replace the original/temporary recovery .IMG that you flashed a few steps previous. The install you are performing has a few extra steps above and beyond a non-A/B slot phone. Be sure you read through the direction fully before proceeding as to not brick the device.

1 Like

Ive also flashed a few G7+s so if you have a question reach out. Myself or others will help.

2 Likes

Thanks so much! I’m only fourteen, and truth be told, I’m completely out of my element! But I want to understand more, and install /e/ on my Moto G7 ‘River’. Right now I am having difficulty downloading TWRP, your advice would be greatly appreciated. The problem is I’m having problems with my Command Prompt. This is a copy of how I’m going…

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.1052]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Platform Tools\platform-tools_r31.0.2-windows\platform-tools>adb devices

• daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
  • daemon started successfully
    List of devices attached
    ZY225DNH92 unauthorized

C:\Platform Tools\platform-tools_r31.0.2-windows\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
ZY225DNH92 unauthorized

C:\Platform Tools\platform-tools_r31.0.2-windows\platform-tools> adb reboot bootloader
error: device unauthorized.
This adb server’s $ADB_VENDOR_KEYS is not set
Try ‘adb kill-server’ if that seems wrong.
Otherwise check for a confirmation dialog on your device.

C:\Platform Tools\platform-tools_r31.0.2-windows\platform-tools>adb reboot bootloader

C:\Platform Tools\platform-tools_r31.0.2-windows\platform-tools>fastboot devices

C:\Platform Tools\platform-tools_r31.0.2-windows\platform-tools>adb reboot bootloader

C:\Platform Tools\platform-tools_r31.0.2-windows\platform-tools>fastboot /path/to/twrp-3.3.0-river.img
< waiting for any device >

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks.

JLZ

This tells me your boot loader is likely locked, you are missing the Motorola drivers, or usb debugging is not enabled How are you verifying that your boot loader is unlocked? Are Motorola’s drivers installed? Is USB debugging enabled/phone accepted communication back to computer?

I have no experience with adb or fastboot using a Windows machine but these two threads may be of help.

… are the master keys for your problem.
Your phone should prompt you to authorize your computer to connect with ADB.

Also, please see https://doc.e.foundation/pages/unauthorized-device

2 Likes

This too may be of help as it was written using a Windows machine.

I was working on this last night and had similar problems. I got my G7+ unlocked but was stuck at the sideload step with the signing.
To get around the adb server problem I booted into the application and re-enabled developer mode and USB debugging. The previous temp .img and/or the unlocking of the bootloader wiped the settings.

But I am still stuck trying to sideload the A/B copy step (mandatory). The adb sideload completed with no errors on the screen (ubuntu 20) but there were signature errors and a failure code on the device. I don’t see anywhere to Continue.

Any help or suggestions welcome.

jv

Hi @newts.

Are the errors you describe coming during these steps?:point_down:

In some cases slot b can be unpopulated or contain much older firmware than slot a, leading to various issues including a potential hard-brick. We can ensure none of that will happen by copying the contents of slot a to slot b.

This step is mandatory.

To do this, sideload the copy-partitions-20200903_1329.zip package by doing the following:

1. Download the copy-partitions-20200903_1329.zip file from here.
  2. Sideload the copy-partitions-20200903_1329.zip package:
  • On the device, select “Advanced”, “ADB Sideload”, then swipe to begin sideload
  • On the host machine, sideload the package using: adb sideload copy-partitions-20200903_1329.zip
1 Like

Once you complete the sideload of sideload copy-partitions-20200903_1329.zip you stay in TWRP and simply proceed to these steps👇. Because within TWRP you were in Advanced > ADB Sideload you will need to press the back button to get back the the main TWRP menu where you can proceed with these steps:point_down:. Be sure you have the /e/OS build for your device downloaded to your computer so you can sideload it just like you you did with the
copy-partitions-20200903_1329.zip in the previous step.

1. In TWRP return to main menu, then tap Wipe
  2. Now tap Format Data and continue with the formatting process.Here a new screen may show where you will have to type Yes and confirm the action by clicking a button.

3.Caution:* Format Data will remove encryption as well as delete all files stored on the internal storage. Remember to take a backup first. Check Requirements section above.

1. Return to the previous menu and tap Advanced Wipe.
  2. Select the Cache and System partitions to be wiped and then Swipe to Wipe
  3. Sideload the /e/ .zip package.

7.Tip:* Sideload requires actions in two places to be done. One on your phone in the TWRP UI and secondly on the connected PC which should have adb enabled. Also note the sideload process while running may stop abruptly around 50%. The console would show a message Total xfer: 1.00x. This would mean that the transfer has successfully completed.

• On the device in TWRP,

select Advanced, ADB Sideload, then swipe to begin sideload.

• On the host machine, in the console , start the sideload of the package by typing
 adb sideload filename.zip

8.Tip:* Change the filename to the name of the file you downloaded

1. Once installation has finished, return to the main menu, tap Reboot, and then System
1 Like

This is not well documented.

You think you got everything right, then you send a message from the PC to the device …

The device quietly responds “wot”

but you don’t see the device screen!

It is a two way thing, when you “send” on the PC, watch the mobile - it just wants you to say that it is ok to talk to the PC. You can usually tick a box to say, “it’s always ok to accept stuff from this PC”

Bon chance

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! Yes, according to egx470 sounds like the sideload might have worked but I was confused for a “continue” and seeing the errors on the device. I will try it again tonight with the more detailed instructions for the sideload of the copy-partitions.

1 Like

What @aibd has stated is totally correct. Looking back on these directions now that I am more experienced, I agree they could be confusing for someone flashing this phone for the first time.

1 Like

I have seen this when flashing other phones. I just proceed and haven’t had additional problems after the OS is flashed and booted.

1 Like

was stuck at side load. re reading now I was using the /e/ recovery and not TWRP. I couldn’t get into the sideload on the device. I did it once before but not I am stuck at the “NO COMMAND” droid screen.

Maybe I should go back and install TWRP and try again?

Also is there a clear set of steps here? Especially how to get the phone to the right place for the sideload. Being new to this I googled and found some other instructions for sideloading that are tangential to installing /e/.

Thanks again for the help, I am real close to chasing the pig into the stye…

jv

this is where I was stuck last night. How do I get to this selection?

Yes, when I flashed my G7+s the temporary recovery.img I used was TWRP. Then I moved to the next step which is side loading the patch file for the slot and finally e-0.17-q-20210529117214-dev-river.zip

This e0.17.zip also will flash over TWRP with the /e/recovery image so in the end TWRP will be gone and you will have /e/OS and /e/recovery. The TWRP step is just a temporary flash to patch the slots and /e/OS (/e/Recovery is contained in that final zip you flash).

1 Like

If you go back to TWRP this is the screen where you hit “Install” - Advanced.

the next screen will include ADB sideload. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@aibd and I may have different versions of TWRP installed. In my version you go to “Advanced” on the screen posted then “ADB Sideload”. It might vary but should say “ADB Sideload” in either circumstance.

2 Likes