Nextcloud not syncing one internal folder

Hello,

I am struggling with setting up the Nextcloud app to synchronize my murena cloud with one folder that is located in my phone’s home folder.

I followed these instructions. I have successfully synced my Camera folder with this “auto-upload”. I then tried to sync another folder, which contains a few backup files (.backup, json, vcf …). Nextcloud created the remote folder but it stays empty :frowning: I have tested and tried… :

• manual sync, same thing, folder stays blank
  • if sync in the other direction, with a test file (.md) that I created from the web application within the cloud. That one got synced to the phone.
  • But in the other direction, if I add a new file (vcf or jpg) in that local folder it does not appear on the cloud folder. I’ve waited some time… Note that Nextcloud noticed that media had appeared in that local folder though and I got notified.

Can someone understand and help me out?

Extra info :

• I have checked and nextcloud has access to all files (not only the media ones).
  • In the sync parameters, the box is ticked to sync files that are already present

Thank you very much!

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

I’m currently not a user of the nextcloud app client, so others might chime in and better help.

Recently though I looked into bi-directional sync support in /e/s implementation and also into nextcloud - a long thread on it seemed unresolved: https://github.com/nextcloud/android/issues/19

A developer posted a solution on bi-directional webdav sync (“Easysync”), maybe it helps you out? https://f-droid.org/packages/com.phpbg.easysync/

Thank you for helping out. I have browsed through this 2-way sync but strangely, for me it does already work 2-way for the “photos” folder. But not for the “Backup” folder. I tried a few different things (like different ways of creating that folder) but still no auto-upload from the phone.
As a workaround, rather than installing that paying solution, I’ve decided to go for manual upload… :face_with_diagonal_mouth: good enough in my case.

But definitely frustrating (if only the /e/drive sync allowed more fine-tuning for files, none of this would be needed).

Does the folder you’re trying to sync show the arrow in you next cloud app?

Like this:
Screenshot_20240103-102145_Gallery

Yes, there is one. Actually, arrows do not fully make sense: I am currently syncing only 1 folder, the Photos folder.

• Photos has an arrow,
  • Backup has an arrow, although the sync is deactivated (been a while) - and never fully worked
  • Pictures has an arrow, although I never synced that one - and it’s empty.
  • Other folders, no arrow.

Well, then you need to set it up… per default nextcloud app does not sync all folders, just your media.

This is a manual set up, for a folder _myApps.
Go into Auto upload and configure the sync you would like to have.

Maybe I got you wrong…
Do you think any file put into this folder, from any app on your phone should be automatically uploaded?

This is not goinoing to happen, as there are permission issues and conflicts which need to be resolved, if there is a file with the same name on the server already.

Instead, you’ll have to use nextcloud app, switch to your folder(backup) then choose add file…

This way, you are in charge to resolve conflicts, it there are any.
Once uploaded, these files will be synced to all your devices.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I am afraid I do not understand your reply well.

So if get you right, you mean that I would have to upload files via the nextcloud app in order to have them synced to my cloud. Well in fact that works. But… that is not an “auto-upload” anymore, is it?

Maybe I can turn my question another way:

• the Photos folder is syncing all files, in both directions. If I take a photo, it gets saved on my DCIM folder and that folder syncs to the cloud and uploads the image there, automatically. I set the auto-upload configuration manually as explained in this thread
  • the Backup folder, that I configured in exactly the same way, does not sync from phone to server.
    => is that because of permission issues from apps, but if so why?

NB: the cloud/server folders were perfectly empty before I started syncing. So why would there be conflicts?

Yes, the wording is totally misleading there, but you understood perfectly well.
If you ever were on iOS, there you can never add any folders… it’s by design, but also a feature request for at least 5-6 years.

Conflicts come up, if you have a123.pdf on +2 phones and upload them – some times you want to keep the older one, some times both…

I think as a woraround you can put a folder into DCIM and see if this works out

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.