Upgrade S7 herolte to Android 11

I got the newsletter that /e/ is “thrilled to have Samsung Galaxy S7/S7+ models upgraded to Android 11!”
My phone still tells me I have the latest update. I guess I have to install it manually.
Can someone please tell me what the correct build is?
If I try to install this build via e-recovery it cannot be veryfied:
https://images.ecloud.global/stable/herolte/e-1.20-r-20240221382013-stable-herolte.zip
Thank you.

Samsung Galaxy S7 (SM-G930F);
Android Version 10; /e/OS-Version 1.17-q-20231110351091-dev-herolte;
Build Date: Fri Nov 10 19:07:03 UTC 2023

hello
first you must read this:

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the quick reply. Unfortunately the build signature for the Q 1.17.1 cannot be verified either. I’m not sure if I should ignore this and install anyway.
I used this build:
e-1.17.1-q-20240208379201-stable-herolte.zip

So it is your intention to also change from dev to stable ? You mention e-1.17.1-q-20240208379201-stable-herolte.zip.

Different build types explained.

The quote above does not include, written elsewhere

Today, if you wanted to stay on dev channel, no R ROM is published.

The general Upgrade advice is:

herolte install page https://doc.e.foundation/devices/herolte/install.

1 Like

Thank you @aibd . Yes, I would like to change from dev to stable.
Can I then just ignore the verifcation and just install the aforementioned build? And after that upgrade to Android 11?
I really don’t want to go back and install the stock ROM, if it can be avoided. I was hoping to update and upgrade via /e/ Recovery. Or should I still wait a little longer for the 17.1 dev build?

The official advice is to treat the change from dev to stable as a new install as well, but you should not need to go back to Stock ROM if you go from 1.17-q-dev to 1.17.1-q-stable.

You should however expect to format data.

Maybe there have been reports that dev → stable can work without Format data on some devices, I am not sure. It was reported that because the keys are different some deep issue may occur, not sure. You might get some app failures.

If you were going to try, have a backup, so that you are not stuffed if forced to Format data.

Another idea is to go through all your installed apps and uninstall everything you could conceivably do without. This will help draw your attention to what you really need to back up.(Sorry, maybe you already have a perfectly good backup plan and this is not an issue for you.)

I am not sure that will ever happen, but I don’t know.

Thank you so much for the quick replies and the advice.
I’m still a little lost, because I’m not sure what “a new install” entails.
When I first installed /e/ I used TWRP. With the upgrade to Android 10 came /e/ Recovery. I have no idea how these are connected or if TWRP is still installed or completely replaced.
That has all been some time ago and I probably forgot the few things I knew back then. I’m very sorry.
I’ve back-upped everything. As I understand it, there’s no way around formatting with the upgrade to Android 11. It’s not my favorite past time activity, but I’m prepared to format everything.
I just need a fool-(that’s me)-proof explanation how to do “a new install” with what I have at the moment.

TWRP v3.5 or 3.6 should support both Q and R. If you have either version no problem. I cannot remember if there have been anti comments for 3.7 on herolte, if you are running 3.7 without issue, also no problem. Sorry I misunderstood that bit. e-Recovery will be fine. If you get a warning about not verified, then that is not part of the service, you should ensure for yourself you are using a download you verified by sha256sum preferably.

There is an additional warning with this upgrade that you should not have an SD formatted as internal or adopted storage on this device, see Week 09 2024: Development and Testing Updates - #39 by aibd

I guess using the install page, but of course most of the work is done already, and in this case you also benefit from no need to go to Stock ROM.

• Cut and paste from the install page

Installing /e/OS from recovery

1. Before proceeding ensure you have downloaded the /e/OS for your device, from the link given in the Downloads section above
  2. If you aren’t already in recovery mode, reboot into recovery mode
  • by typing the below command in the console of an adb enabled PC
 adb reboot recovery
  1. In TWRP return to main menu, then tap Wipe
  2. Now tap Format Data and continue with the formatting process.Here a new screen may show where you will have to type Yes and confirm the action by clicking a button.

5.Caution:* Format Data will remove encryption as well as delete all files stored on the internal storage. Remember to take a backup first. Check Requirements section above.

1. Return to the previous menu and tap Advanced Wipe.
  2. Select the Cache and System partitions to be wiped and then Swipe to Wipe
  3. Sideload the /e/OS .zip package.

9.Tip:* Sideload requires actions in two places to be done. One on your phone in the TWRP UI and secondly on the connected PC which should have adb enabled. Also note the sideload process while running may stop abruptly around 50%. The console would show a message Total xfer: 1.00x. This would mean that the transfer has successfully completed.

• On the device in TWRP,

select Advanced, ADB Sideload, then swipe to begin sideload.

• On the host machine, in the console , start the sideload of the package by typing
 adb sideload filename.zip

10.Tip:* Change the filename to the name of the file you downloaded

1. Once installation has finished, return to the main menu, tap Reboot, and then System

Warning: Avoid installing any additional apps or services if suggested by the recovery. They may cause your device to bootloop, as well as attempt to access and or corrupt your data.

Success: Congratulations !! Your phone should now be booting into /e/OS !!

• If you have Settings > Search Update recovery set in Developer options, this or the next Upgrade will change TWRP to e-recovery which is simpler and will stay matched with your build.
1 Like

You can go direct to step (8) or (9)

1 Like

I formatted and I’m trying to install the build from the zip-file. from my SD-Card. I verified via sha256 and the numbers are the same. But in /e/-Recovery it says again: "Signature verification failed. Install anyway?
I don’t know if that is the same signature or whatever that means. How can I fix it? Or should I install anyway?

Install anyway, as you are confident it is good.

As i understand, “Signature verification failed” could come from the android version difference, because it couldn’t come from the builder identity.

@tcecyk ?

I think it is inherited from the Lineage updater where the ROMs are often labeled as signed. https://wiki.lineageos.org/signing_builds

However the status of signing in /e/OS builds is less clear to me https://doc.e.foundation/support-topics/builds.html

Alright. Thank you. I worked. I’m on Android 11.

1 Like

Hello,
I’m a bit confused about the version I need to install.

I’m currently using:
Device: Samsung Galaxy S7
/e/OS Version: 1.17.1-20240208379201-herolte
Android 10
Date: Feb 8 2024

Now the available update offered on my phone is 1.20. I’m not sure if I need to install this 1.17.1 Version from Feb 20th or if I can just upgrade from my current version to 1.20.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Best
Rete

The date you quote “1.17.1-20240208379201-herolte” matches e-1.17.1-q-20240208379201-stable-herolte.zip

Usually one can skip offered updates but in this case and this “special” Pre Upgrade build it required.

Users had this warning in February Week 08 2024: Development and Testing Updates - #9

There is a special Release note https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/releases/-/releases/v1.17.1-q

And a Support topic https://doc.e.foundation/support-topics/s7-upgrade-to-r-guide.html

Which you should just check is the Android version Upgrade to Android 11 (I assume and think).

1 Like

Thanks for your answer! I’m still not sure if I need to update to a newer version (from Feb 20th) or if I can just upgrade to 1.20 from my 1.17.1-20240208379201-herolte.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. What do you mean by “check the version Upgrade”?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Where do you see this offered to you ?

I do not see a build matching this description among the published stable builds https://images.ecloud.global/stable/herolte/.

Perhaps you could tell us the version you are using in this format [HOWTO] Give complete /e/OS version info easily for support, answers, comparison etc.

I guess I assumed that you have been writing about the OTA System Updater and that you are using the stable release channel. Is this correct ?

It seems important that you are aware of the point where you are offered and make the actual Android version Upgrade from Android 10 (Q) to 11 (R) and that you make the upgrade in line with the documentation I linked.

As a S7 user, i must tell you that I didn’t have that much problem doing this upgrade.
Actually, i just did it via OTA and it worked like a charm. One thing i should advise you however is it to put out your sd card if it is on external mode.
Then you can either firstly do the update to the 20th February 1.17 and then the “jump” or directly do it. Yet, the first option is recommended.
Personally, i know i had 2 updates available and that i directly did the “jump”. I might die tomorrow but that’s worth it.

Thanks for your replies

I don’t see it offered, but I understood your first answer and this post as if I first had to update to this release before updating to 1.20.

The version I am using is 1.17.1-20240208379201-stable-herolte

yes, that is correct.

By the way, I am not using an SD card in my phone and if I understood correctly the main problem had to do with phones that used an SD card, right?

Thanks for all your help!