Week 41, 2022: Development and Testing Updates

Builds and Releases

v1.5

Will share details of fixes and updates coming as part of v1.5

v1.4

Release Notes: Check the link here

Update for FP3 The Dev v1.4 has some files missing, which are required as per the documentation to manually install the build. We will be releasing a v1.4.1 specifically for the FP3.

Stable builds released for additional devices :new:

• Google Pixel 4 - “flame”
  • OnePlus 7 Pro - “guacamole”
  • Google Pixel 4 XL - “coral”
  • Google Pixel 4a - “sunfish”
  • OnePlus 7T - “hotdogb”

Installation of these devices is also supported through the EasyInstaller

Stable builds an explanation - Click to expand or close

Till date by Stable builds we used to mean builds on devices we sell on our eShop. Now we are expanding the defintition to include devices which will have dedicated maintainers. We have added the above mentioned devices to the stable category. Look out for more devices getting stable builds and dedicated maintainers.

Feedback on v1.4

• Share you feedback and vote on v1.4 here

GSI

v1.4

R version of GSI to be planned based on developer bandwidth

OS OTA upgrades

Status: :yellow_circle: Ongoing - release moved ahead to October

Completed

• Samsung s9 / s9+
  • Samsung s7/ s7+
  • OnePlus Nord Q to R (stable build) :new:

Upcomings

• Samsung s8 /s8+
    • Pie to S OTA upgrade
    • ETA October :crossed_fingers:
  • FP3
    • Pie to Q OTA upgrade
    • Q to R OTA upgrade
    • To confirm if we can have a Pie to R upgrade
    • Release dates would be after the s8/s8+ OS OTA upgrade

Volunteer testers required

• To help test OS OTA build
    • Check the post here for details
  • Users in US or Canada who are willing to help test the hardware of our Murena smartphones
    • Check the post here

• To volunteer send in your details on testing@e.email with the subject USA/Canada new tester

:pray: Thanks to the more than 50 users who have already volunteered in various categories :pray:

What we mean by OS OTA upgrade- Click to expand or close

:nerd_face: OTA OS upgrade means the upgrade to a higher OS level. Updates will be delivered Over the Air (OTA). The OTA upgrades are available on official builds only. Users who have unofficial or custom-builds will not get the notification to install the upgrade build. They will have to manually download and flash the Q builds once they are released, which may result in data loss.

Developers required

Paid positions

Volunteer Developers

• Community members with technical skills who want to volunteer to help with code updates can write in to helpdesk@e.email . Please share details as to what you want to help with and details of some experience of your previous or current work.
  • We can work on making the contributions paid if you so prefer.

Bug Bounty program

• You can find the details of our Bug Bounty program here

New additions to the /e/OS development team :new:

A couple of days back we had mentioned of some team members leaving the team to go to the US to pursue their studies. We are pleased to announce that we recently added 4 developers to the team. This will definitely add to our development and issue resolution capabilities.

/e/OS S

• 70+ devices planned for /e/OS S or Android 12 upgrade.
  • Release will be in monthly batches of 20 devices.
  • For device details, check this list for the device names
  • More devices will be added for upgrade
  • Please note we have as yet not opened up the code of /e/OS S to all users as the addition of patches and testing is still in progress. Attempts to build by forking will result in errors.
  • ETA : October

Unofficial ROM build refer the section ROM Builders - Unofficial and Custom

below Recent Documentation updates
ROM Builders - Unofficial and Custom
  • A new Docker image has been released
  • Those building using traditional repo sync method refer android_prebuilts_prebuiltapks_lfs
  • You will have to install git-lfs (sudo apt-get install git-lfs)
  • After completing a repo sync, you will have to run repo forall -c ‘git lfs pull’

:nerd_face: Reason behind these changes:

Due to the large size of the android_prebuilts_prebuiltapks we have switched to using LFS, and now you will need to refer to android_prebuilts_prebuiltapks_lfs

End of official support for Nougat, Oreo and Pie 😞 For Pie, Oreo and Nougat the official /e/OS support draws to a close.

Reasons for dropping official support are:

• newly released applications like App Lounge, Advanced privacy code has not been customized for these OS versions.
  • lack of dedicated ROM Maintainers
  • no support upstream (Lineage dropped support for Pie sometime back)
  • device trees will continue to exist in the Gitlab and users with build skills can create custom ROMs on these builds
  • Security patches and vendor patches for the Pie, Oreo and Nougat code will be updated based on availability.

:nerd_face: Google stops security patches for OS after some time. Similarly, Vendors drop support for older models when they release newer models in the market. Then it depends on developers from various communities to backport the patches.

Device and Vendor specific Announcements

:loudspeaker: Gigaset GS290

• We have stopped the sales of the Gigaset GS290 on the eSolutionsShop as the vendor has stopped production of the device. We will continue support for existing users.

:loudspeaker: Message being shared on the request of our vendor partners

• Vendors whose phones we sell on our eSolutions Store do not directly sell /e/OS flashed devices.
  • The vendors only sell their devices with their own stock ROM.
  • To get pre flashed /e/OS phones, you have to purchase them from the eSolutions Shop.

:loudspeaker: /e/OS Pre flashed device sales

• We sell directly in EU, US, Canada.
  • Find details of what devices are available in which countries here eSolutions Shop.
  • In Australia we do not sell directly. You can purchase preflashed /e/OS devices from this site

:loudspeaker: Murena One released
A phone from Murena with /e/OS installed has been launched and is available for purchase. Check the device specs here

Expect more device releases from Murena in future :grinning:

:nerd_face: Murena is the brand name and /e/OS is the operating system.

/e/OS Links

Support

• Facing issues with devices you purchased from us ? Send a mail with details to helpdesk@e.email

Websites

Telegram Channel

Social Media

Newsletters

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

11 Likes

Hi,

I have a Pixel 4a on which I installed /e/OS with the Easy Installer and I’m on v1.0. This morning I’m still not seeing the v1.4 update in Settings > System updates. Is this expected?

I’m confused about the weekly message because there is a separate OTA upgrades section and I’m not sure if that applies to me or only the devices that are listed (Samsung and Fairphone).

Thank you.

Unfortunately, the Pixel 4a sunfish is the only device from the list on which the v1.4 build has still not succeeded. The team is working on getting the 1.4 build out. Will update once we have the 1.4 ready for the sunfish.

2 Likes

Hi @clementprd pl can you check now. The v1.4 should be available for the Pixel 4a sunfish

1 Like

It is available! Thank you so much Manoj (and your team)!

2 Likes

Hi,

why was bug #5818 /e/OS v1.5-beta pushed to /e/OS v1.6-beta? Previously the bug wanted to be fixed in the /e/OS 1.4-beta. I am eagerly waiting to finally be able to use my camera normally and for this bug to be fixed! Why the postponement again?

With kind regards

Stefan

Hi @Manoj, is the issue with the missing files in v1.4 for FP3 only related to r or also to the q release?

The issue has been assigned to a developer who has just joined the team. If the fix is complete with testing before 1.6 we will release it earlier.

2 Likes

The files are missing on both the releases for the FP3. I am following up with the team to add it in a build. Will update when I have any inputs regarding this.

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick reply Manoj :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

Is there a plan to add fairphone 4 to the easy installer?

Yes, and under development and testing. We will add more devices to the Easy Installer and also welcome users with technical skills to help with the development.

4 Likes

Hi @Manoj. I see there is now a new public v1.5-beta-s tag. Does this mean that we can now start to make /e/OS S builds using the /e/ repos?

1 Like

I didn’t notice this on my first read. Really good news ! :+1:

1 Like

I did a tuto in French 4/5 months ago, go to Ubuntu Touch and go to Android because UT doesn’t support yet Waydroid or esim.

Why don’t come back on /e/OS ? Because my tuto was a little bit complicated, I had some bugs and just waiting Easy Installer for FP4. But I was too impatient to come back and try the tuto of E teams and it was really really easy. You can’t fail.

Yes, the code should be accessible to all - especially to unofficial ROM builders

3 Likes