Week 43 : Development and Testing Updates

v0.19 : Released

• Testing started on 23 Sep.

• Issues closed

• Issues open

• Released delayed as testing of 15+ UI related issues required some code changes

• An issue was detected in the App Store. Specifically it prevents circumventing the APK signature check for open source and system apps. The fix has been added to v0.19

• Last round of testing in progress. Expect the dev release early this week :crossed_fingers:

• Releases are first sent out out on dev channel and after a couple of days on to the stable channel

Update 27 Oct Checkout the details of what will be coming as part of v0.19 in this post

To understand difference between /e/ builds check this guide

Update 28 Oct v0.19 was released on individual devices.

Pl note: /e/ R v0.19 builds have not been released. They will be tested next week and released to user the week after that.

/e/ R rollout

• Week 42 devices were released on time last week

Update 28 Oct Week 43 devices were released

• Release plan for /e/ R on new and supported devices

List will be updated in case the build fails for specific devices

:information_source: Installation Tip for /e/R

Devices with Stock 11 ROM should flash the stock ROM first before flashing /e/ R .
    Pl note this will wipe out your existing data. Take backups if required.
    Manual upgrade is required as the default Updater application does not upgrade the OS and on detecting a different OS tends to block the installation. Read the next section for details

To find your device codename you can run this command in the console of an adb enabled PC with you phone connected via a usb data cable

$ adb shell getprop ro.product.device

OS OTA Upgrade Testing

• Release planned for stable s9 s9+ users who are still on oreo

• OS OTA will not work for the dev Oreo s9 / S9+ builds.

• Update will work only on the variant with ā€˜Fā€™ in the device codename which is the international variant for e.g. SM-G960F

• OS OTA will not work if the device is the Korean variant ā€¦denoted by the ā€˜Nā€™ in the device for e.g. SM-G960N

• Release planned in a couple of weeks. We had an issue where fingerprint set to unlock the device before upgrading got lost post the upgrade. Another issue was the dialer icon would move out of the dock post the upgrade. Fix being integrated to the build.

• ETA after 2-3 weeks.

MURENA- the Brand name for /e/OS

Last week we shared the Brand name for /e/OS products and services. It is Murena.
The name comes from a eel-like fish ā€¦there is a slight difference in the spelling :slight_smile: do not want the fishes to file for copyright violations :slight_smile:
The name will be used going forward to publicize our smartphones and the ecloud services we provide. /e/OS will continue to be the OS name in the source code.
The transition to the new name across our websites and channels will be done gradually. As also will the internet search-ability of the name. The immediate changes are visible on our eSolutions Shop

This post will be updated through the week

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

13 Likes

/e/ is a very worthy pursuit, increasingly so every month.
Itā€™s in all (everyone across the world) our best interests for projects like /e/ to succeed.
Wishing everyone behind Murena the best of luck, may it reward you for your effort and be a successful adventure for all involved.
:pray: :shamrock: :fr:

11 Likes

Thanks @mike_from_ireland ā€¦on our side we would like to thank our users who with their feedback, suggestions and encouragement have guided us every step of the way. There is a lot still left to improve but we are getting there one step at a time.

8 Likes

Iā€™m waiting since more than 2 months for bugfixes which should be provided with v0.19, which is now delayed again due to UI problems. Is UI consistency so much more important than usability? Or am I overlooking and underrating the UI issues? Wouldnā€™t it be possible to roll out v0.191 with bugfixes and some lacking UI-changes and v0.192 with all changes?

6 Likes

Itching for the OTA R upgrade for my 2 Galaxy S9+!

This is a nice new name! :heart:

Definitely better than /e/ :exploding_head:

I really appreciate these updates. Thank you. :pray:

Is it pronounced mure-e-na or mer-e-na?

Ce pourrait ĆŖtre ā€œMu-rai-naā€ Ć  la franƧaise, ā€œMou-rai-naā€ Ć  la Castillane, " Mu-ry-na " Ć  lā€™Anglo-Saxonneā€¦

3 Likes

slashy-slash is still the name of the operating system and foundation and store where you buy Murena phones.

This morning I also received the update for my Fairphone 3. Normally there is some time between the dev channel and the stable channel.

e-0.19-p-20211027142975-stable-FP3.zip

I will install this updateā€¦

TeamViewer asks for permission, can this be bypassed or have a setting to auto-allow?
Sometimes I want to do something on my phone I left in my room and from computer I can do this (on my other phone) but not on my Samsung Galaxy S9+ /e/ 0.18 Android 10ā€¦

According to the internet itā€™s not TeamViewer asking, and itā€™s not caused by /e/ particularly.
This also happens with other casting Apps and across devices and their Android OSes. For those affected it seems to have come with Android 10.

Just to be sure ā€¦ What exactly does it say there in Settings - About phone - Android version (tap on it) - /e/ version?

I havenā€™t found much to solve it quickly, hereā€™s something to try, though.
Hereā€™s an open question regarding this over at the TeamViewer community ā€¦ https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/112339/remotely-controlling-android-from-android-unattended

And you might want to open your own topic about this, as these weekly update topics here get closed once the next one arrives.

1 Like

Thanks, that kind of worked (App Ops and Shizuku approach)

Problem Iā€™m having is lock screen looks huge on TeamViewer side. I have to ā€œguessā€ where the keys areā€¦

The original build for suzuran (Sony Xperia Z5 Compact) was broken. A fixed build is now available at https://images.ecloud.global/dev/suzuran/

1 Like

This will be an upgrade for s9 s9+ users from 8 / oreo to 11?

It says here that it will be an upgrade to Q (Android 10) ā€¦ Week 39 : Development and Testing Updates

1 Like

Upgrading from 8 based OS to 10 It is the hardest part !
moving from 10 based OS to 11will be a more basic work.

From Oreo to Q for the S9/S9+

2 Likes

Since upgrade OTA to V19 I experiance signifikant battery drainage. It is not possible anymore to load the battery more than say 30 to 40%. Restarting phone results eventually in crashes of the launcher. No apps running in background no settings changed. Fairphone 3+ Form e-store with Android 10.