e/OS Drive/cloud sync not reliable

Sync to e/OS Drive/cloud is not reliable. To get sync working I have to delete my murena account on my phone and sign in again.

Is this commen behaviour?

My Murena account is secured with “TOTP (Authenticator app)”

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the deGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

after enabling totp, did you enter app-passwords in the account manager? https://doc.e.foundation/support-topics/two-factor-authentication#using-an-application-password-for-the-eos-account-manager

Yes, that are the instructions I follow and the login is successfully. Sync will start and succeed after sometime, I don’t not how long it stops syncing.

Yes, that are the instructions I follow and the login is successfully. Sync will start and succeed after sometime it stops syncing.

tcecyk via /e/OS community community@e.email schreef op 3 april 2024 20:53:19 CEST:

| tcecyk
April 3 |

• | - |

after enabling totp, did you enter app-passwords in the account manager? https://doc.e.foundation/support-topics/two-factor-authentication#using-an-application-password-for-the-eos-account-manager

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

– Verstuurd met /e/OS Mail.

on what version are you? [HOWTO] Give complete /e/OS version info easily for support, answers, comparison etc

can’t see a current/open bug that describes the behaviour - https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/?label_name[]=eDrive

The app-passwords do not expire, so I have no explanation either.

Can you describe what defines being unreliable - new photos do not show up after x minutes? there are hardcoded intervals and it depends if the device finds an unmetered connection, see Murena 2 not synching files - #3 by tcecyk

Phone: 11 Lite 5G NE
/e/OS version: e-1.21-t-20240326389105-dev-lisa

I thought it stop syncing after some time.

Yesterday I delete my account and reinstalled it. It straight away sync my account. Today I took a photo and no sync, still not after one hour.
Again I delete my account and reinstalled it. It straight away sync my account.

I took a photo again and it will not sync. (waited for 15 minutes). So it looks like it will only sync once when I delete my account and reinstall it.

Email, agenda and notes works fine

It seems until 2 weeks ago https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/7740 wasn’t fully resolved. Do you get anything out of the discussion concerning the unmetered attribute to the wifi? are you connected to a wifi or mobile-data only?

Not discounting your experience, just that the v1.21 feedback thread doesn’t have much users complaining on “sync” or “edrive”.

I use wifi over vpn, somtimes nord vpn somtimes pivpn with wireguard

“tcecyk via /e/OS community” <community@e.email> schreef op 5 april 2024 om 04:24:

Today I don’t use VPN
Delete account and reinstalled. after sync works
later on I took a photo made a screenshot. no sync.

It looks like sync only works one time after I deleten and reinstall account

What can cause this? Is it usefull to install next cloud?

on vpn: quoting myself from last I looked at this (probably worth to read the thread):

If you setup a VPN, android treats it as “metered” by default. While your wifi is treated unmetered, the vpn could use the parallel mobile data connection when it is unavailable and slurp up your traffic allowance.

But on plain wifi you should see syncs after 15 minutes if there’s no failure (there are backoff intervals).

What can cause it beyond underlying connectivity? a scanning hiccup I guess when comparing the remote (“cloud”) to your file state on the machine. No idea how it happens, I’d need the device in my hands and poke at the state it holds onto.

If you’re out of patience and not in a position to go bug hunting, as you write yourself - best reach for another webdav sync client.

You may try to apply this: Photos et fichiers non synchronisés sur le cloud - #4 by smu44 (sorry it’s in french and I’m too lazy to translate, I checked that deepl.com translates OK).

smu44; I did what you write and it didn´t work. sync one time after login to account and after that no more.

tcecyk and smu44; I installed nextcloud and that seems to work, with and without pivpn on.

How does sync works? imgaes one way sync to cloud and documents two way sync?

Remark: I do not kwow how to bug hunt

1 Like

both nextcloud-client and eDrive aren’t two-way-sync, there is an old thread on it if you want to dive in the forum, or the long 2-way sync thread in nextcloud issues.

I think what the eDrive app cache/storage reset can help with is when the sqlite internal state of device-to-cloud gets into a unrecoverable state. Resetting makes it scanning for a new local/remote list. Interesting this didn’t work out for you either.

Me too on my gauguin phone with e-1.21-T.

We have 3 different phones in our family and all of them stopped syncing Photos around end of Feb. Other things like Notes etc are syncing fine it is just photos and videos. Is there a way how to debug what the issue is? We have paid murena cloud plan, with enough space left.

So far I tried and nothign seems to be working

• force stop the edrive app
  • clear storage and cache of edrive and force stop
  • remove and add murena account

Phones are : Samsung Galaxy S9 in R, OnePlus 8 on T and Motorola edge 30 on T all updated to the latest 1.21

Is there anything else I can do? Or what can I do to find more info? I have adb tools installed so happy to hook my phone to the computer and debug properly.

1 Like

I guess y’all are suffering from a bug that I can’t find categorized publicly. I’m not running eDrive currently to help. Users who want reliable file sync should reach for nextclouds client if they can’t sit it out.

If you want to debug, see the #7740 comment (and those further up by Vincent) on how to get some introspection into eDrive ongoings.

That issue-ticket isn’t necessarily your bug, the comment just has comprehensive debug instructions.

3 Likes

With the nextcloud app it works perfect