QR function apps not working

Hi there,

Since last year, I have a Fairphone 3+ with /e/OS pre-installed. I am currently on /e/OS 1.4-2022092022045.

I have installed apps using the App Lounge, but also using Aurora Store since I couldn’t install some apps via App Lounge. Since some latest updates via the Aurora Store, I can’t seem to use the QR Scan function on several apps (Dutch banking app, DigID app).

Perhaps it is also relevant here that on Aurora Store I can’t seem to update the Google Play Services App and I keep getting an error notice about a ‘conflicting packet existing’ and "INSTALL-FAILED_UPDATE_INCOMPATIBLE: Package com.google.android.gms signatures do not match previously installed version; ignoring.

My microG Services Core app is version 0.2.24.214816-48 (a1e6fe8)-noen.

Could you please help me resolve this issue, since it’s quite impractical that I can’t use these essential apps.

Thank you!
Chris

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

Hello @Chris3 You should never try to update google play services (micro g) as it will not work, so best is if you blacklist it on Aurora.

Regarding your problem I would suggest to update to a newer version of /e/. Which Android version do you have installed q (10) or r (11)?

1 Like

Hi mihi,

Thanks for the tip!

I am on Android 10 at present. But when I go to ‘Settings → System Updates’ it mentions that there are no new updates to the version of /e/OS I am currently on (/e/OS 1.4-20220920220045).

Any help would be much appreciated, because I love the values of /e/foundation & Fairphone but I am not very tech-savvy personally.

Warm regards, Chris

Please check in the Settings → About on the Android-Version if it is ‘dev’ or ‘stable’.

For example mine is: 1.6-r-20221213242618-stable-sunfish

I think it is ‘stable’: It says there: /e/OS version 1.4-q-20220920220045-stable-FP3

Well you should have gotten an OS OTA upgrade. Not sure why it does not work. Maybe you find something In the forum. I will check later.

https://community.e.foundation/t/week-2-2023-development-and-testing-updates/46563/7

Completed

FP4 >> R ( A11) to S (A12)
FP3 >> Q (A10) to R (A11) stable
OnePlus Nord >> Q ( A10) to R (A11) (stable build)
Samsung s7 / s7+ >> Nougat (A7) to Q (A10)
Samsung s9 / s9+ >> Oreo (A8) to Q (A10)

Thanks! I hope the update comes soon

I have no firsthand experience on this or an App to test this - on the microG tracker banking+QRcode issues popped up recently: https://github.com/microg/GmsCore/issues/395#issuecomment-1374900534

You’d need to look at logcat while interacting to validate what changed

Dear Tcecyk,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I am not smart enough in these matters to understand your message.

I went to /e/ and Fairphone to escape the universe of Apple and iPhone as well as Google/Android, but the irony is that I now have to use my old iPhone to use my banking and government ID apps. I am more than willing to learn, but I fear that this platform is for the tech insiders only and I’ll have to exit before too long :slight_smile:

Warm regards, Chris

Do not exit @Chris3 sometimes you only need to do a bit of research or a bit off effort like you did in this forum and there will be a helping hand. It is very unfortunate that the tech industry is moving very fast forward. Not every new change is allways a good change…

Did you buy your FP3 directly from /e/? If yes then you are eligeble to get support from them.

If you would like try something yourself I would suggest to clear the cache of the updater. Here is a little Tutorial for it:

When you choose ‘see all app’ , then you might need to show System app’s with the hamburger (three dots) menu.

Here is mine, it is on german but the icon should be the same:

Then try to update again if that does not work then please create a comment in this post:

Manoj should be able to give you a response what to do.

1 Like

Thanks for your words of support, mihi, that helped lift my mood! I have cleared the cache of the updater using your instructions, but no impact yet on ability to update to newer version of /e/OS. I have written to Manoj though in the other thread, at your suggestion (I did indeed buy the phone directly from /e/). I see that there has already been an update to v. 1.6, yet I am still on 1.4 somehow, without being able to update.

Warm regards, Chris

Perhaps following up on the below, I read this in Manoj’s thread: “The FP3 OTA OS update from Pie to Q/R is not possible as encryption method changed on FP3 between Pie and Q/R. It is not possible to change the method while updating. The team spent a great deal of time on this, but has not been able to resolve this problem. For now, the manual process is the only way to upgrade the FP3 from pie to other OS versions.

Would this be relevant for me, since I have a FP3+? If so, what does the “manual process” mean then?

No, you are on Q (A10), the issue mentioned is with P (A10).

1 Like

Did you receive an anwser?

Hi mihi,

I received an email from the helpdesk, asking to wait until the /e/os v. 1.6 update is available again OTA. So I am waiting until I can update from v. 1.4 to v. 1.6 and then hopefully that will resolve the issue with scanning QR codes on various apps! Will let you know if that resolves the issue.

Thanks! Chris

Good to read you heard back from them. Not sure why you need to wait for 1.6 when 1.7 is in the pipeline but let’s wait. 1.7 for stable should arrive soon. If you have no update by the end of this week, then check here /e/ image ROM download if it is released. I mean 1.7-r. I think they stopped q releases…

Hi Chris and Mihi,

I am running Fairphone 4. Unfortunately I have the sames issues in v1.7 as well. Digid QR scan is just not working. Rabobank and KNAP do work btw.

I called with Digid support but they have no solution other than the standard recommendations of resetting the Camera app or enlarging the QR code on the display. Both do not work. The person I spoke with said that possibly some security measures from Digid don´t go well with /e/OS/ and vice versa.

From the forum I get it that not everybody has the same issues. I have spent a lot of time trying to experiment with other settings without resolve. For me, and I assume for other Dutch citizens as well, Digid is instrumental. For example I can not access my health insurance website or activate other devices.
A work around for could be to use SMS confirmation. But that will not work everywhere. It is less secure by default as well.

Although I love /e/OS and the whole initiative I will revert back to my iPhone. I will designate my FP4/e/OS as a phone on the side for now until this has been resolved.

Regards,

Maarten

PS @Chris3 if you did get it working in the passed 22 days please let me know how :wink:

Hi Maarten,

I am still having the same issue, even after updating to /e/os v 1.7. DigiD QR code scanning still does not work (it does work on the banking apps now, but that started working again before I updated to v 1.7).

I can only echo the importance of this app for Dutch users and the same applies to me: I still keep my old iPhone for DigiD and that is a pity because I am really rooting for /e/ foundation and Fairphone!

Best,Chris

The same issue is mentioned in this thread on gitlab :

https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/6168#note_336800

Another user reported issues with apps: Rabobank : When trying to scan the QR code, in says in Dutch: “Warning, an error has occured. Try it again later.”

DigiD : doesn’t scan the code

So am I and massive great work has been done by /e/foundation so far. Wish I had the skills to contribute. At the same time normal life continues as well