Week 42, 2023: Development and Testing Updates

Release Information

v1.16

• Release Notes will show up here once the release is initiated

• Staggered release spread from 24 Oct to 7 Nov 2023

:information_source: There were issues with the build systems spread across multiple devices. The team have decided to restart the complete build process. They will be evaluating the builds and ensuring the release builds have the paritions where required and then proceed with the final release.

Issues with the /e/OS T release in v1.15
  • Devices for which /e/OS T builds were released are missing recovery builds on v1.15.
  • This is important because additional partitions which were to be flashed before the actual flashing of the /e/OS T builds were to be included in the recovery zip files.
  • We regret this error on our part
  • The issue is to be resolved with the v1.16 release
An alternate method to get the partitions
  • Download latest release of payload-dumper-go (https://github.com/ssut/payload-dumper-go/releases) to the same directory (*) where you downloaded the /e/OS T build ZIP file

• Open terminal and cd to (*) directory

• Extract the zip file by running this command
    unzip e--s--dev-lemonadep.zip payload.bin

• Here the example of the lemonadep file has been taken. Replace with the zip file of your zip

• Extract payload-dumper-go by running this command tar xzvf payload-dumper-go_1.2.2_linux_amd64.tar.gz payload-dumper-go

• now run ./payload-dumper-go -partitions -o dtbo,vendor_boot

• Here the two partition files expected for this device dtbo and vendor_boot are mentioned

• This method can be used as a temporary measure while the team resolves the issues with the builds and adds the partitions to the recovery zip file

• We do have plans to release OS OTA upgrades to /e/OS T for devices we sell on the Murena Shop. For now the upgrade is a manual process. Will share more information around this when available.

FP5 sales and delivery starting :new:

• As mentioned the FP5 customers should start receiving the devices with /e/OS T starting from October 16, 2023
  • Sales in France will start from October 16, 2023 mid day. Customers who are in the waitlist should get email notifications regarding this.

Upcoming milestones / Releases

Upcoming development :new:

• Updated version of the Bliss Launcher
    • Currently undergoing testing and code cleanup.
  • /e/OS browser will be updated to the latest chromium version. Team is working on adding some features to the interface
  • A tablet with /e/OS T. Tablet name will be shared once we have the go ahead from build team. The release is tied with the launch of the updated Bliss launcher. Release will be delayed and may not be in 2023
  • Easy Installer to be updated to flash /e/OS T builds.
  • GSI builds to be made to run on /e/OS T. As users may be aware the current GSI is on /e/OS Q.We will skip (Android 11) R and (Android 12) S and directly update the GSI to (Android 13) T.

ETA: To be announced

:nerd_face: ETA: Estimated time of arrival - term used in software development to denote the estimated time when a product can be expected to be released.

Previous 5 releases & user feedback

:warning: Posting information on test builds

• Please do not post information or links to /e/OS test builds on the forum.
  • These builds are as yet untested and under development and may in some cases cause user devices to soft brick.
  • Such information can confuse other users who do not see these builds in the updater.
  • Remember not all users who come to this forum are experts in installing and formatting custom ROMs and can end up seriously damaging their devices by trying out these test builds
  • If you are genuinely interested in helping with the testing activities and also understand how to fix and do some minor level of testing on custom ROMS, you are welcome to join the testing team
  • As part of the testing team you can share your comments on the dedicated testing telegram channel.

Murena cloud updated to NC 25.0.8.19

Self hosting Murena cloud v 25.0.8.19

How to check the NextCloud version 🤓 You can find the complete documentation and current NC version under https://murena.io/settings/help >> NextCloud xx user documentation. The xx should show the latest version. - Another way to check the current version is to check the [NextCloud scan link](https://scan.nextcloud.com) and input https://murena.io this should display the current version number as well as the security level. > Please note if MurenaCloud patch number is not the same as the NC patch number, the rating would show up as bad 😐 This is not exactly a problem. We do not immediately jump to the next NC patch as soon as it is released. We first test it and then set out with the deployment.

GSI

v1.15

• Download available here](https://doc.e.foundation/support-topics/understand-and-use-gsi.html)
    • Sources available here
    • version is /e/OS Q (A10)
    • S (A12) and R (A11) version of GSI yet to be planned. Awaiting developer availability
    • Frequently we see users complain about the GSI OS versions not being in sync with the ROM OS versions. As mentioned we do have developer bandwidth issues. If there are users who have development skills we welcome them to share their expertise and help speed up the process in the true spirit of an Open Source project.

Roadmap for 2023 and beyond

Read this post where Gaël shares his vision on the Murena and /e/OS roadmap into 2023 and beyond

This is just a sneak peek into exciting news we would be sharing in the days to come.
For example …

Subscribe to our newsletter to get the news first hand. All links available below.

OS OTA upgrades

What OS OTA upgrade means

Usually for /e/OS ROMs to upgrade the OS you have to do the following

• If available download the correct OS build from the supported device list
  • For some devices you also need to download the stock ROM from the vendor site.
  • Take a back up of your data
  • First install the Stock ROM
  • Next install the /e/OS ROM. Here you can take help of the install guides available on our documentation site.
  • If required apply the backups you downloaded before starting the whole process

An alternate to this tedious process is where we offer the user the option to upgrade the OS OTA. This option is available for stable device builds only.
This process is easy for the user but requires a lot of development and testing effort.

Different /e/OS build types

Completed
  • Gigaset: GS290 : Q (A10)→ Android 11 (R)
  • Oneplus: avicii : A12
  • OnePlus : avicii : Q ( A10) → R (A11)
  • Fairphone: FP4 : R ( A11) → S (A12)
  • Fairphone:FP3 : R (A11) → S (A12)
  • Fairphone:FP3 : Q (A10) → R (A11)
  • Samsung: s7 / s7+ : Nougat (A7) → Q (A10)
  • Samsung: s9 / s9+ : Oreo (A8) → Q (A10)
  • Samsung: s8 / s8+ : Pie (A9) → R (A11)
  • Teracube: 2e / zirconia: Q (A10) to R (A11)
  • Teracube: emerald & zirconia : R (A11) to S (A12)
    • All OTA OS upgrades are on stable builds
Under Testing 🆕
  • Google Pixel ‘redfin’: S(A12) → T(A13) :new:
  • Samsung: Galaxy S9/9+ : Q (A10)→ R(A11)
  • Gigaset: GS290: R(A11) → S (A12)
    • All OTA OS upgrades are on stable builds

Support dropped

Only one OS version per device

• Support of multiple OS versions on the same device has been stopped
  • Upgrade your device to the latest OS version available.
    • For example, if /e/OS R (Android 11) builds are available for your /e/OS Q (Android 10) build, upgrade to the latest version which in this case would be A11.

Nokia devices

• All Nokia devices

• It is not possible to officially unlock Nokia bootloaders + lack of dedicated maintainer
  • Google

• Google Nexus 7 2013 flox
    • Device has partition size issues. Not able to build /e/OS ROMs for this device even with minimal build

:nerd_face: Minimal build is a setting in /e/OS build which removes the following default applications (LibreOffice viewer, PDFViewer, Maps and Weather)from the source code and builds a smaller version of the ROM.

Check real time availability of /e/OS and related services websites
OS upgrade info specific to the FP3
  • The FP3 OTA OS update from Pie to Q/R is not possible as encryption method changed on FP3 between Pie and Q/R. It is not possible to change the method while updating.
  • The team spent a great deal of time on this, but has not been able to resolve this problem. For now, the manual process is the only way to upgrade the FP3 from pie to other OS versions.
End of official support for Nougat, Oreo and Pie 😞 Pie, Oreo and Nougat the official /e/OS support has ended.

Reasons for dropping official support are:

• newly released applications like App Lounge, Advanced privacy code has not been customized for these OS versions.
  • lack of dedicated ROM Maintainers
  • no support upstream (Lineage dropped support for Pie sometime back)
  • device trees will continue to exist in the Gitlab and users with build skills can create custom ROMs on these builds
  • Security patches and vendor patches for the Pie, Oreo and Nougat code will be updated based on availability.

:nerd_face: Google stops security patches for OS after some time. Similarly, Vendors drop support for older models when they release newer models in the market. Then it depends on developers from various communities to backport the patches.

Device and Vendor specific Announcements

:loudspeaker: Gigaset GS290

• We have stopped the sales of the Gigaset GS290 on the eSolutionsShop as the vendor has stopped production of the device. We will continue support for existing users.

:loudspeaker: Message being shared on the request of our vendor partners

• Vendors whose phones we sell on our eSolutions Store do not directly sell /e/OS flashed devices.
  • The vendors only sell their devices with their own stock ROM.
  • To get pre flashed /e/OS phones, you have to purchase them from the eSolutions Shop.

:loudspeaker: /e/OS Pre flashed device sales

• We sell directly in EU, US, Canada.
  • Find details of what devices are available in which countries here eSolutions Shop.
  • In Australia we do not sell directly. You can purchase preflashed /e/OS devices from this site

:loudspeaker: Murena One released
A phone from Murena with /e/OS installed has been launched and is available for purchase. Check the device specs here

Expect more device releases from Murena in future :grinning:

:nerd_face: Murena is the brand name and /e/OS is the operating system.

Different /e/OS build types

Check out this guide to understand differences between build types on /e/OS

/e/OS website and social media Links

Support

• Facing issues with devices you purchased from us ? Send a mail with details to helpdesk@e.email

Websites

Telegram Channel

Social Media

Newsletters

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

17 Likes

When does a user need to be aware of this ?

Answer When their download page does not include the “new type of bundled Recovery file” as an example of this https://images.ecloud.global/dev/hotdogb/ today:

This walkthrough is the method mentioned in the OP here (but with more words !) [Walkthrough] Extract eRecovery and boot images using payload-dumper-go

The issues is to be resolved with the v1.16 we expect to release this week. Once the partitions come out, this additional instructions will not be required. If that is not possible I will be adding the link to the page you created on gitlab.

5 Likes

@Manoj What does “This coming week” mean?

This week, or coming week?

This week. The expectation is we will release it before friday. If there is a change in the date I shall update the post.

4 Likes

Okay thank you… I hope for the best, so that I can finally install it.

Oh, that T GSI is fascinating!

Going to try it on my TeraCube TeraCube_One TR1907Q ruby.

Don’t get your hopes to high, it is one of many tasks for the future. There is no expected time, it can be published tomorrow or next year.

1 Like

Forward progress is progress :person_shrugging:

1 Like

It is :grin: I also use the GSI, so me too eagerly awaiting a newer build than Q :wink:.

1 Like

It’s exciting for me since it would mean my TeraCube TeraCube_One TR1907Q ruby would be on a newer base OS than 10/Q like it is currently with the OEM image.

Be nice to have it match my TeraCube 2e emerald and zirconia, and my wife’s Google Pixel 5 redfin.

It’s still unclear to me. Without the T recovery, is a phone with the T build flashed (upgraded from S) in some kind of crippled or problematic state?

Hello,
absolutely not.
First, if you came from a previous release, it would be better starting again from a clean device, unless provided for by the builder or team, see ota.
It is always a major upgrade.
So, eventually, from s to t, doing backups, erasing the current version and only then clean flashing the newer release.
Regarding your question, flashing t over s jumping a clean installation, could get you issues.
Second, the recovery is just a part of the os, clearly important, but it is not the os itself.
I clean flashed and i am running t without e recovery, i use twrp, and my device just runs fine.
In short, it is not a recovery speech, it is the way you installed your rom that is essential.

I didn’t find yet the T version for the FP3. Will it be coming or are there issues?

And would you mind re-open this thread, please?

Thank you, Manoj!

Issue has been reopened as requested.

2 Likes

Thanks @Manoj

We have a flash-party this Saturday: if /e/ 1.16 was not released (or if recovery binaries for 1.15 were not available) on Friday, we’ll need to know which workaround we can have.
For example, which recovery to use for /e/ 1.15 for starlte (Android R): https://images.ecloud.global/stable/starlte/

Will 1.16 release also fix https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/7225, that prevents us from using EasyInstaller ? (at least for the 2 devices mentioned in this gitlab ticket)

1 Like

Let me check with the team and get back.

1 Like

I am sorry, but this is getting really frustrating… Delay after delay… At this point it might be better, to just don’t give ETA’s at all… Why not fix the builds with missing recovery files first, then work on 1.16?

My device has been pretty much unused because I did not set it up yet because I wanted to go with eOS but don’t want to have to install everything again. So I decided I wait for the release. But weeks go by and the release is still not available.

I know that this is free software but still, you are clearly creating expectations of which, a large number cannot be fulfilled or only with very large delays.

Please don’t take this as me trying to be rude or offensive, I am just disappointed in how things are going so far…

Thanks for your work nonetheless!

2 Likes

Here are the extracted data necessary for a ‘clean install’ for the OnePlus 8T (kebab):
Android T e-1.15-t-20230917331436-dev-kebab.zip

fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
adb sideload copy-partitions-20220613-signed.zip

/e/ Install Instructions

I’m all for this.
Let’s be realistic and transparent regarding the challenges of software development and in case of inquiries just give all ETAs truthfully as “when it’s ready”.

2 Likes