Oldest phone with newest Android version (just for fun)

build date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 11:15:44

This is looking much more recent: CARBON-CR-9.0-R-WEEKLY-z3-20240110-1059
Maybe they go LOS-UL

According to the manifests at https://github.com/CarbonROM/android/tree/cr-9.0, there using the normal LineageOS repos

So, 10 years span width between production and Android version is possible. I havenĀ“t checked Make Nzā€™s post yet (with the video).

Edit: Make NZ wins for now with his 11 years and 8 months old Galaxy S3 running Android 14. Am I correct?

What Android version is this ROM?

It exists!

3 Likes

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
AOSP + MinMicroG

Iā€™d like to think, we are all winners, being able to use great FOSS at the little cost of our time, helping others if, when and where we can.

On a side note, as the Galaxy S2 is still up and running for someā€¦
And for those who may read this and feel like they wanna have a go at flashing with such old devices ā€” HAVE A GO, itā€™s fun and rewarding. Personally Iā€™d say anything starting with the Galaxy S3 neo, can be daily drivers, within the limits of calling in 4/5G mobile networks and camera limitations.

Also, a bit of encouragement if you have Samsung devices in a drawer somewhere ā€“ they are resilient and very hard to brick. This is the one and only out of ~240 I have flashed:

And please take not of the date on the battery ā€“ it still holds a good charge and can give other devices a good start! More to comeā€¦:blush:

4 Likes

yes, but not the cheapest Galaxy Tab 2, i think you need about 1,5GB RAM and 2x1,5Ghz CPU
and of course up to date sourcesā€¦

clic to see other old Tablets
2 Likes

Thats an encouraging and fun thread, thanks for that!
Is there a webpage where one could look up the statistics how many devices of each kind are running with version of e OS? I guess at least internally there should be, would be interesting to see as well.
Or even in comparison with other custom ROMs, or at least a comparison which custom ROMs are used how often.
I didnt find any, but doesnt have to mean muchā€¦

You be the judge on this living legend

I meant more, maybe LOS-UL (ULTRA LEGACY) would be something they may look into, in the future. Seems both projects share similar goals.

The closest I could come up with:

It didnā€™t work out for /e but the LOS suits my needs

Thanks for this comment. I very much enjoy the usersā€™ comments here. DidnĀ“t expect it. About your question: I wouldnĀ“t know of a source for that. What I know is that LineageOS is the most popular custom OS, and that Samsung devices are one of the most popular devices to use it on.