OS Upgrade - Volunteer Testers Required - Next Set of Devices for OS Upgrade

As you are aware we are initiating the OS upgrade for /e/ supported devices.

• The testing will start from this week

• The first device to be tested for OS Upgrade is the FP2 as we had notified here

• The FP2 Test builds should be shared with the volunteer testers today 14 Jan 2020

• The OS upgrade will need to be manually flashed - no OTA upgrade for now.

• The build will be based on v1-pie /e/ branch

The next set of devices for upgrade testing are

Essential ‘Mata’
Xiaomi Poco F1 ‘beryllium’

( Please note some of these devices may require to be flashed with the stock builds before the /e/OS test Pie builds can be flashed)

Users who own these devices and are interested to help with the testing please send the following details to testing@e.email

/e/ email ID (optional)
Tester Name (optional)
Gitlab ID ( required) 
Telegram username (required)

[ Need the gitlab ID to add your name to the testing project , telegram username is need to add your name to the telegram /e/ testing channel ]

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

4 Likes

For regular visitors it might be obvious, but I registered specifically for the FP2 testing and wasn’t initially aware that /e/ has their own instance of gitlab, so the gitlab ID refers to https://gitlab.e.foundation/ and not https://gitlab.com :wink:

2 Likes

Are the upcoming device tests standardized based on v1-pie /e/ branch?

Is there a list of questions that must be processed?

Or how should an outsider imagine the process?

Thanks for pointing that out @Ingo_FP_Angel have updated the same in the post

1 Like

The volunteers on the channel are provided the details on how to test.

From this information I have seen that gitlab ID must be created on https://gitlab.e.foundation

I just did it but I have no test build available yet

Hi @sisco I got a confirmation from @rhunault that the test build would be available today - 15 Jan. Will update on the testing channel.

1 Like

Why does an interested person only receive more detailed information when he or she has registered?

When an employer is looking for a new staff member, he will first specify in the job description: “Your tasks” and "Your profile

Without information on the test procedure, how should an interested person be able to decide in advance whether he or she can comply with the test conditions?

An existing device and an interest in helping isn’t a grant that the interested person is suitable as a test person.

Why not more transparency right from the start?

Not sure this is a case of transparency- these are instructions on how to test the device further. That is relevant to only a person who is doing the testing.
Please do not twist everything and every comment on this forum as if it is a conspiracy to hide facts.

If you see it that way, I’ll of course not apply as a test subject for any device.

I will continue to help promote /e/volution in other ways - regardless of the goodwill of any one person.

Thanks it is voluntary BTW.

Update on the FP2 testing: Testing has been proceeding smoothly. We should be releasing the official build for all users soon.

The next set of devices to be tested for OS upgrade are :

Essential 'Mata’
Xiaomi Poco F1 'beryllium’

Thanks to those who have already volunteered Those interested in testing can send in these
details to testing@e.email

/e/ email ID (optional)
Tester Name (optional)
/e/ Gitlab ID ( required)

[ Need the gitlab ID to add your name to the testing project , telegram username is need to add your name to the telegram /e/ testing channel ]

@marcdw @Paco I know you guys have Essential PH-1 Mata.

Well My PH-1 is not usable : I’ve crashed the display, so I’ve switched on a 6t.

I’ve don’t have a Sim card to test on the Mata…

I’m only sort of, kind of, thinking about it. Being set in my ways, when it comes to operating systems, I’ve had no interest in Pie or Q. I barely tolerate Oreo, mostly because I’m a multibooter and do things in a certain way since KitKat.
The Mata, ofc, only runs one OS. Been on /e/ soon after I got it a year ago. Given that there’s no external SD I’ll have to get around to saving/backing up/offloading everything before I consider helping out with a Pie build.

I’m thinking about it but I’ll have to give up my normal way of doing things (Xposed and GravityBox, mostly for navbar customization). I don’t do Magisk, period, so EdXposed is out. But hey, I believe in /e/ so I guess I can make the sacrifice. :grin:

hi everyone, I am a Fairphone 2 owner, I never used /e/ at the moment because I am running Ubuntu Touch on it but with my PinePhone being delivered soon I plan to put Ubuntu Touch on the pinephone and switch my FP to /e/. I am an advanced user so I will gladly put a per-release version if that can help. Please tell me how to do it.

1 Like

Hi @fla you can send in your details as per what is mentioned here and help with the testing efforts. We have about 10 volunteers helping out but extra hands are always welcome.

I have an /e/ converted Essential PH-1 mata that I use as my only phone. I’d love to volunteer to test the Pie version, but (1) I will first need to set up Telegram and Github accounts, and (2) I’m spooked that I’ll lose the ability to continue using the phone as my only one. Without anyone promising me success, how realistic are my chances of still having a usable phone initially after the switch?

Thanks, and BTW, the PH-1 makes a superb e phone, with the ability to upgrade to Android 10 should you wish to support that version.

I used to use a PH-1 as a daily before handing it off to a family member, I used both official nougat and an unofficial pie on it and both worked perfectly for a daily phone.

The next set of devices to be tested for /e/OS upgrade are :

Essential 'Mata’ (Pie)

Xiaomi Poco F1 'beryllium’ (Pie)

S7/S7 Edge (Oreo)

Thanks to those who have already volunteered

Those interested in testing can send in these
details to testing@e.email

/e/ email ID (optional)
Tester Name (optional)
/e/ Gitlab ID ( required)

3 Likes