Week 11 2024: Development and Testing Updates

Summary of Weekly development and testing activities by /e/OS developers and volunteers. Efforts mentioned here are continuation of tasks in progress or new development activities. Updated content will have the :new: emoji.

Release

v1.21 :new:

Issues being fixed can be viewed here

• Builds that missed v1.20 that will be available in v1.21

• Google Pixel XL marlin
    • Motorola Moto G7 Play channel
    • Google Pixel sailfish
    • LG V30 joan
    • LG V30 h932
  • Fairphone: FP3 : S (A12) → T (A13) OS OTA upgrade build and

• Fairphone: FP4 : S (A12) → T (A13) OS OTA upgrade build will be available in v1.21

ETA: 14 Mar to 21 Mar :crossed_fingers:

Info about ongoing development tasks click here

Development and internal testing

• Updated version of the Bliss Launcher or Bliss launcher 3
  • Currently undergoing testing and code cleanup. Launch planned early 2024.
  • /e/OS browser will be updated to the latest chromium version. Team is working on adding some features to the interface
  • A tablet with /e/OS T. Tablet name will be shared once we have the go ahead from build team. The release is tied with the launch of the updated Bliss launcher. Launch planned early 2024 :crossed_fingers:
  • Easy Installer to be updated to flash /e/OS T builds. ETA to be planned
  • GSI builds to be made to run on /e/OS T. As users may be aware the current GSI is on /e/OS Q.We will skip (Android 11) R and (Android 12) S and directly update the GSI to (Android 13) T. ETA to be planned

:nerd_face: ETA: Estimated time of arrival - term used in software development to denote the estimated time when a product can be expected to be released.

Upcoming milestones information

Stable support dropped for these devices

• The documentation guides are in the process of being updated
  • Easy Installer will flash the dev build for these devices :fire:
    • Google Pixel 4a sunfish
    • Google Pixel 4a 5G bramble
    • Google Pixel 4 XL coral
    • Google Pixel 4 flame
    • OnePlus 7 Pro guacamole
    • OnePlus 7T hotdogb
    • OnePlus 8 instantnoodle
    • OnePlus 8 Pro instantnoodlep

:point_right: stable builds will be available for devices we sell in our Murena Shop. That means stable builds will continue to be available for the following devices FP3 , FP4 ,FP5 , Murena one, Murena Two, GS290, zirconia, emerald, herolte, hero2lte, dreamlte, dream2lte, starlte, star2lte, redfin

Previous 5 releases & user feedback

Links to the last 5 releases click here

New Documentation guides :new:

• How to backup and restore and /e/OS device

• Users may have noticed a difference in the internal storage size on fresh installations. We have created guide to explain this. You can find the guide here

:warning: Posting information on test builds

- Please do not post information or links to /e/OS test builds on the forum. 
- These builds are as yet untested and under development and may in some cases cause user devices to soft brick.
- Such information can confuse other users who do not see these builds in the updater. 
- Remember not all users who come to this forum are experts in installing and formatting custom ROMs and can end up seriously damaging their devices by trying out these test builds
- If you are genuinely interested in helping with the testing activities and also understand how to fix and do some minor level of testing on custom ROMS, you are welcome to [join the testing team](https://doc.e.foundation/testers) 
- As part of the testing team you can share your comments on the dedicated testing telegram channel. 

Murena Cloud updates

Murena cloud and Self-hosting version details click here

Updated to NC 26.0.8.12

• We have upgraded Murena.io nextcloud backend to NC26, which includes performance improvements, bug fixes and security patches.
  • The release notes are available here

Self hosting Murena cloud v 26.0.8 :new:

How to check the NextCloud version click here 🤓 You can find the complete documentation and current NC version under https://murena.io/settings/help >> NextCloud xx user documentation. The xx should show the latest version. - Another way to check the current version is to check the [NextCloud scan link](https://scan.nextcloud.com) and input https://murena.io this should display the current version number as well as the security level. > Please note if MurenaCloud patch number is not the same as the NC patch number, the rating would show up as bad 😐 This is not exactly a problem. We do not immediately jump to the next NC patch as soon as it is released. We first test it and then set out with the deployment.

GSI

Current GSI version click here

v1.17

• Download available here
    • Sources available here
    • version is /e/OS Q (A10)
  • :point_right: The Q v1.17 GSI build is the last build in /e/OS Q
  • :point_right: GSI OS version will next move to T or A13 skipping the R and S versions. Dates for development will be shared

OS OTA Related information

What OS OTA upgrade means click here

Usually for /e/OS ROMs to upgrade the OS you have to do the following

• If available download the correct OS build from the supported device list
  • For some devices you also need to download the stock ROM from the vendor site.
  • Take a back up of your data
  • First install the Stock ROM
  • Next install the /e/OS ROM. Here you can take help of the install guides available on our documentation site.
  • If required apply the backups you downloaded before starting the whole process

An alternate to this tedious process is where we offer the user the option to upgrade the OS OTA. This option is available for stable device builds only.
This process is easy for the user but requires a lot of development and testing effort.

Different /e/OS build types

Completed
  • Gigaset: GS290 : Q (A10)→ Android 11 (R)

• Oneplus: avicii : A12

• OnePlus : avicii : Q ( A10) → R (A11)

• Fairphone: FP4 : R ( A11) → S (A12)

• Fairphone:FP3 : R (A11) → S (A12)

• Fairphone:FP3 : Q (A10) → R (A11)

• Samsung: s7 / s7+ : Nougat (A7) → Q (A10)

• Samsung: s9 / s9+ : Oreo (A8) → Q (A10)

• Samsung: Galaxy S9/9+ : Q (A10)→ R(A11)

• Samsung: s8 / s8+ : Pie (A9) → R (A11)

• Teracube: 2e / zirconia: Q (A10) to R (A11)

• Teracube: emerald & zirconia : R (A11) to S (A12)

• Samsung: S7 ‘herolte’ ‘hero2lte’: Q ( A10) → R (A11)

• Google Pixel ‘redfin’: S(A12) → T(A13)

• Gigaset: GS290: R(A11) → S (A12)

• All OTA OS upgrades are on stable builds
Testing
  • Fairphone: FP3 : S (A12) → T (A13)
  • Fairphone: FP4 : S (A12) → T (A13)
    • ETA v1.21

Support Dropped

Multiple OS versions
  • Support for /e/OS Q is being dropped for most of the devices.

• Exception would be Samsung S7 / edge herolte and hero2lte which will be upgraded to /e/OS R or Android 11 :new:

• Support of multiple OS versions on the same device has been stopped.

• If you see multiple OS version builds on the download page, switch to the latest /e/OS version.

• In most devices it would require a manual download and installation. Take a backup before proceeding.

• We will add a text on the images server mentioning that older OS versions are no longer supported.

• No longer supported will mean that build would not be made in the older OS.

• It is always advised to switch to the newer OS versions as some of applications may not work correctly on older OS as application developer stop supporting older OS.

Nokia Devices
  • All Nokia devices

• It is not possible to officially unlock Nokia bootloaders + lack of dedicated maintainer
  • Google

• Google Nexus 7 2013 flox
    • Device has partition size issues. Not able to build /e/OS ROMs for this device even with minimal build

:nerd_face: Minimal build is a setting in /e/OS build which removes the following default applications (LibreOffice viewer, PDFViewer, Maps and Weather)from the source code and builds a smaller version of the ROM.

Murena Two now available for purchase

Where to buy the Murena Two and Murena One from?

A phone from Murena with /e/OS installed has been launched and is available for purchase. Check here. Select a country and check availablility and device specs

Expect more device releases from Murena in future :grinning:

:nerd_face: Murena is the brand name and /e/OS is the operating system.

Vendor specific information

Bootloader unlockable devices

As you may be aware the bootloader needs to be unlocked to flash a custom ROM like /e/OS.
The vendors of the following devices are preventing the unlocking of the bootloader

• Huawei
  • ASUS - unlocking tool reported as not working for last couple of months.

:point_right: We have added a warning on the install pages for these devices to warn our users before they try to attempt to flash /e/OS.

Misc information

Upgrade guides removed

We have removed the upgrade guides from our Documentation site. Users who are planning to upgrade the /e/OS installation on their device are now advised to

• Follow the instructions given in the command line install guide
  • If suggested in the guide, first install the stock ROM
  • Next if required flash additional partitions
  • Finally a fresh install of the latest /e/OS build
  • Follow the instructions for your devices. The instructions would be different across devices.
  • This advice is specific for OS upgrades ie. from a lower OS version to a higher version for e.g. /e/OS R to /e/OS S or Android 11 to Android 12.
Check real time availability of /e/OS and related services websites
OS upgrade info specific to the FP3
  • The FP3 OTA OS update from Pie to Q/R is not possible as encryption method changed on FP3 between Pie and Q/R. It is not possible to change the method while updating.
  • The team spent a great deal of time on this, but has not been able to resolve this problem. For now, the manual process is the only way to upgrade the FP3 from pie to other OS versions.
End of official support for Nougat, Oreo and Pie 😞 Pie, Oreo and Nougat the official /e/OS support has ended.

Reasons for dropping official support are:

• newly released applications like App Lounge, Advanced privacy code has not been customized for these OS versions.
  • lack of dedicated ROM Maintainers
  • no support upstream (Lineage dropped support for Pie sometime back)
  • device trees will continue to exist in the Gitlab and users with build skills can create custom ROMs on these builds
  • Security patches and vendor patches for the Pie, Oreo and Nougat code will be updated based on availability.

:nerd_face: Google stops security patches for OS after some time. Similarly, Vendors drop support for older models when they release newer models in the market. Then it depends on developers from various communities to backport the patches.

Device and Vendor specific Announcements

:loudspeaker: Gigaset GS290

• We have stopped the sales of the Gigaset GS290 on the eSolutionsShop as the vendor has stopped production of the device. We will continue support for existing users.

:loudspeaker: Message being shared on the request of our vendor partners

• Vendors whose phones we sell on our eSolutions Store do not directly sell /e/OS flashed devices.
  • The vendors only sell their devices with their own stock ROM.
  • To get pre flashed /e/OS phones, you have to purchase them from the eSolutions Shop.

:loudspeaker: /e/OS Pre flashed device sales

• We sell directly in EU, US, Canada and Australia
  • Find details of what devices are available in which countries here Murena Shop.
Different /e/OS build types

Check out this guide to understand differences between build types on /e/OS

/e/OS website and social media Links and Support

Support

• Facing issues with devices you purchased from us ? For issues you would want support on from the /e/OS support team, send in the details using the contact form

Websites

Telegram Channel

Social Media

Newsletters

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

14 Likes

What about FP4 S (A12) → T (A13) OS OTA upgrade? Is not listed next to FP3.

2 Likes

Added to the list of under testing. Both FP3 and FP4 upgrade builds should be available with v1.21.

4 Likes

Hello Manoj,
first, thank you for all your efforts to keep the community informed every week!
Second, as I couldn’t find it on the list of issues to be solved in 1.21: is there a chance to take care of that bug introduced with 1.20 for the gs290, that VoLTE and WifiCall is not working anymore, with that next release 1.21? For details see https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/7816. There was another person observing that specific bug for the gs290 in the feedback section for 1.20.
Would be so great if the next release would regain a better voice quality - without VoLTE this is quite terrible on the gs290.
Thank you!

What a great NEW download page !

(all versions archives history…)

About Samsung devices, why imposing :

• Installing a custom recovery using Heimdall_Linux/macOS for some devices

or

• Installing a custom recovery using Odin_windows for some devices

and not providing both method when supported ? and let the users pick-up because of their preference or their computer’s OS availability…

Also what about Thor GUI ?

2 Likes

@Manoj: There is probably a mistake
merlin → marlin
or
Motorola Moto G3 Turbo merlin

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out… It was marlin. Have corrected it.

1 Like

The images server has been revamped. Will share more details later.

5 Likes

@manoj Anything known yet about the fate of /e/OS for the Fairphone 2 – given the end of support from LineageOS?

1 Like

Hi Manoj, on my moto edge 20 pro still no v1.20 update, I have the v1.19.1, is right?

Response from the build team:
For now we will continue building A11, but probably not for so long (and without security patches).

4 Likes

Edge 20 pro is on T now and v1.20 has been released.

1 Like

Reported to developers with Issue in gitlab details. Will update in case there are any inputs.

1 Like

Thanks for highlighting the issue. The team is working on it. Updates will be available on the gitlab issue.

1 Like

I just noticed the OTA buiilds page (here: FP3-dev) has changed significantly as well. OTA update files are now easier to find and directly clickable. :slight_smile: The individual download URLs have been shortened a little bit (“builds/full/” has been dropped out of the URLs), so some links used before are now outdated (example).

Thank you :+1:

1 Like

As Android 11 is unsupported since the beginning of February, what are the plans of moving the Galaxy S9 and S9+ to a newer Android version? I have bought the S9+ from Murena in the hope of having a Google-free but still secure device. Already the upgrades to Android 10 and 11 came quite some time (more like a year than a few weeks) after the previous Android versions were out of support.

I was planning to buy another phone from Murena when my current one is no longer usable but with what I have been and still am experiencing, I doubt it (unless it improves in the future). I get that the team is small and there is a lot of work to be done but using an operating system without current security patches is just a very stupid idea for anyone using the device for anything that requires internet access (let alone anything like banking). Already having security updates a month late as it usually is the case with /e/OS is bad but I put that down to it being difficult to apply them and the team being small.

I get that /e/OS has a vision of delivering a complete ecosystem similar to the one of Google or Apple with a unified design and the complete set of applications etc. but all these things should not come at the price of offering an insecure product – especially not if it is marketed as being for everyone.

As I see it at the moment, it would have been a better idea not to buy a device from Murena and to flash a device bought elsewhere myself as the dev-branch already is on a newer version of Android for quite some time.

That being said, I am otherwise quite happy with /e/OS (except for a few smaller things which do not compare to delivering out-of-date Android versions in the stable branch).

The device bought from Murena is not limited to the stable release channel, you could still install dev if you prefer it.

But as I understand it, there is no OTA-upgrade for it, so I would prefer it to upgrade it while being on stable. (As I paid more by buying from Murena I also hope to be able to use the “premium” features as well.) This is why I am asking for an official statement so that I can decide on facts.

1 Like

I understand where you’re coming from.

I’ll just add that the stable release channel is not a “premium” feature anymore. The Easy Installer installs stable on devices supported by it, bought wherever (S9/S9+ among them), and users can install stable manually if they want to.

The net effect of you buying from Murena is that you supported them financially in what they do, thank you for doing so, and that you get vendor support by them and not by whoever else to buy from (most probably not supporting /e/OS on the phone).

Your question of how they want to proceed with stable on your device remains interesting, of course, especially in light of …

I feel update frequency requires perspective. A new update could have vulnerability. I think Dr. E hits the issue on the head.

To my knowledge, and i hope /e/ posts stats, no /e/ users have been hacked. If you are a high risk, targeted individual then a different device and ROM are more ideal.